Author Topic: UCI World Road Champs  (Read 5254 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
UCI World Road Champs
« on: 23 September, 2014, 11:20:25 am »
Does anyone know if any of the Worlds will be on the telly? I can't find anything on Eurosport (so-called "home of cycling") listings.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: UCI World Road Champs
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2014, 12:19:32 pm »
Bits will be on the BBC (possibly red button only); the rest can be watched live on the UCI Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel

There's some more info on what's on what channel here:

http://intranet.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/NewsGeneral/16/69/24/2014UCIRoadWorldChampionshis-TVSchedule_Neutral.pdf

« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »
Ladies TT on red button now.
Working my way up to inferior.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2014, 02:42:56 pm »
 :thumbsup:Well spotted chaps. Thank you!
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2014, 03:59:45 pm »
World TT result.....

(click to show/hide)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »
World TT result.....

(click to show/hide)

Amazing. Bloody fantastic! Not good enough for Plan B, eh?!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »
World TT result.....

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2014, 09:14:00 pm »
World TT result.....

(click to show/hide)

When he's really focused on a goal he's unstoppable.  But it costs him a lot to be that focused.  Unlike some sportsmen (Tony McCoy in horse racing) who have the drive to put themselves through the wringer in their DNA, seems to be Sir B is more human.  What he had to do to succeed in the TdF was more than he was prepared to repeat.

Amazing. Bloody fantastic! Not good enough for Plan B, eh?!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

TimC

« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2014, 09:29:39 pm »
Can't see the point of the spoiler tags, by the way. It's happened, it's on the front page of everything, and the live TV coverage finished hours ago.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2014, 09:59:49 pm »
Can't see the point of the spoiler tags, by the way. It's happened, it's on the front page of everything, and the live TV coverage finished hours ago.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some people might not have watched it until they got home from work.

Spoiler tags tomorrow might be a little OTT though. Everyone's going to have a slightly different cut-off point.

« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2014, 11:46:00 pm »
Fantastic!

It’s interesting to watch him ride - there is no-one else that rides in that totally flat-backed position. Very clear in the ToB too, and not just in the TT. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2014, 06:47:19 am »

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some people might not have watched it until they got home from work.

Quite.

What else are spoiler tags/flags/whatever for? Events that have NOT happened yet?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Si_Co

« Reply #12 on: 25 September, 2014, 08:27:00 am »
Ok, can we discuss this now?  :demon:

(click to show/hide)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2014, 09:06:09 am »
I watched it on iPlayer, but missed the end (due to driving home).  I was amazed that he won it, at one point he was 16 seconds down on Chavanel, then ~12 seconds down on the Aussie who beat Chavanel, but Martin was only 6 down on said Aussie.

Wiggo, obviously did what he normally does, i.e. looks like he is having a mediocre ride then turns the heat up to 20 in the last section.

Good on him, think his days of being a GC contender have gone, though.

As for when he can wear the rainbow jersey, obvious, innit? When he is racing in any TT in the next year.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Si_Co

« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2014, 09:19:21 am »
<snip>  When he is racing in any TT in the next year.

AIUI he won't be riding a tour next year as he returns to the track, only the classics, so no road TT, so no chance to wear said jersey

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 25 September, 2014, 10:35:57 am »
Well done, Brad!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrew

« Reply #16 on: 25 September, 2014, 10:43:59 am »
I guess he can wear it around the house, or even on his own rides. Hell, with so many wannabes in team kit, yellow jerseys, polka dots, etc about nobody would ever suspect he actually was the world champion.

Apparently, Cavendish would wear his when on rides with mates. How cool would that be?

« Reply #17 on: 25 September, 2014, 10:45:00 am »
According to this interview - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/29351793 - we can look forward to seeing the World Champion's Jersey blasting up and down UK dual carrigeways.

« Reply #18 on: 25 September, 2014, 01:04:09 pm »
I can't see even the most jobsworth official objecting to Wiggo riding in his WC kit in a club event.

« Reply #19 on: 25 September, 2014, 01:21:31 pm »
I can't see even the most jobsworth official objecting to Wiggo riding in his WC kit in a club event.

I wouldn't place any bets on that.
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/sport/4462700.Cycling___Olympian_Wiggins_runs_in_trouble_at_Levens/

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #20 on: 25 September, 2014, 03:14:47 pm »
As long as it's a TT, I don't see the problem. I vaguely remember Alex Dowsett turning up to his local club 10 in that Race Of Truth documentary they did a couple of years ago, in full Movistar/national champs kit.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #21 on: 25 September, 2014, 03:18:28 pm »
In fact he could be DQ'd for not wearing it at a TT if it were in Scotland. AIUI if you are riding in a UCI event tehn you must wear any appropriate championship jersey.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2014, 10:14:54 pm »
According to this interview - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/29351793 - we can look forward to seeing the World Champion's Jersey blasting up and down UK dual carrigeways.

He's got the olympic and world champion TT medals, all he needs now is the BBAR (or more likely, to get his 10 record back off Alex Dowsett).  Actually, if he's planning on the hour next year I wouldn't be too surprised if he tries to put the 25 on the shelf as well.

« Reply #23 on: 26 September, 2014, 10:32:34 pm »
Lizzie Armitstead - Gold, or will she succumb to the Vos machine? Actually I wouldn't mind if Vos wins (again), I think she's  phenomenal.

TimC

« Reply #24 on: 27 September, 2014, 04:39:48 pm »
Women's Road Race

Very disappointing, negative race. A very nasty crash early in the race probably affected many of the riders, but the result was definitely a surprise.