Author Topic: [HAMR] 21st Jan - Steve day 167  (Read 9818 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
[HAMR] 21st Jan - Steve day 167
« on: 21 January, 2016, 01:45:02 pm »
FB message: Steve's OK, tracker "not showing".  Oof.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Re: 21st Jan - Steve day 167
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:13:14 pm »
Looks like my tracking page is up on blocks as well - I think Google have put me on the naughty step for misusing their API with the increase in access over the last couple of days. Will try and fix it when I can.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:17:23 pm »
Something more than normal? (Your tracker page never showed anything until Steve had started moving for the day, we're used to it being blank at 8am)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »
The trackleaders page is a bit clunky on my MacBook, but the last update shows 3.11am yesterday.

So if Steve is riding, it appears he is doing so untracked.

http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetrial15i.php?name=Steve_Abraham

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »
I'd be more convinced it was a tracker problem (which might in any case disqualify that days efforts if it's failed to register) had the update given a bit more info - like where Steve was and where he was heading to.
Ah, he can continue without tracker as...

"Witness books are also the backup strategy for UMCA/HAMR if the live tracking or GPS recording goes awry. And if relied upon the riders only get the credited with the shortest distance between witness entries, which makes riding short circuits (e.g. MK bowl) unsuitable."
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »
Even if the tracker is up the spout he should still have a GPS trace.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:46:22 pm »
Depending on how you read the rules (https://ultracycling.com/sections/records/max-mileage.php), a GPS trace alone may not be sufficient proof:-

11. If both/either tracker and GPS data fails, the distance credited will be the shortest distance via cycleable road between locations documented in the witness book.
12. In the case of communication failure where either/both of the live tracker or trip recorder data is unavailable, the rider shall send an explanation (email or text message preferred) as soon as possible to the Records Chairman. The mileage involved shall be considered to be provisional until the Records Chairman can decide on the validity of the explanation.

It depends on whether they really mean "either one of them fails and we defer to the shortest distance between locations in the witness book" or "both live tracker and Garmin fails and we defer to the locations in the witness book".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »
I'd be more convinced it was a tracker problem (which might in any case disqualify that days efforts if it's failed to register) had the update given a bit more info - like where Steve was and where he was heading to.
Ah, he can continue without tracker as...

"Witness books are also the backup strategy for UMCA/HAMR if the live tracking or GPS recording goes awry. And if relied upon the riders only get the credited with the shortest distance between witness entries, which makes riding short circuits (e.g. MK bowl) unsuitable."

Two witnesses on opposite sides of the bowl?

« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:58:06 pm »
No good unless he can ride through the middle of the bowl. He'd lose about 10% of the ride. Best to have four or five witnesses stationed around the bowl for minimal distance degredation.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2016, 02:59:53 pm »
Speculation is current on the Day 166 thread. There was a very brief statement from the team that Steve was OK, but no details. He got home yesterday at 3.10 am (or thereabouts) after 239 miles. If the weather was anything like here in East Angular, he'd have been in freezing fog at about -3ºC by the end, which is not particularly conducive to continued good health, especially for someone as fatigued as I'd guess Steve is. We await further news.

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2016, 03:06:32 pm »
On Tuesday night it was around -6 and clear with us, about 15 mile SW of MK.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2016, 03:13:35 pm »
He's obviously not riding or they would have said so. And they would have said 'the tracker is broken / malfunctioning / experiencing technical difficulties' rather than 'not showing'.

Meanwhile the world watches on on tenterhooks, like the at end of The Truman Show.
Mojo is being awakened.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2016, 03:15:47 pm »
And they would have said 'the tracker is broken / malfunctioning / experiencing technical difficulties' rather than 'not showing'.

Aren't those synonymous, at least for a non-techie?

« Reply #13 on: 21 January, 2016, 03:22:37 pm »
Yes, but it helps highlight that most people think of the tracking as a single entity rather than Steve's SPOT tracking device, the satellite(s) it talks to, the SPOT infrastructure, the Trackleader's site, the IvanScope, the Android App, etc.

Steve's SPOT tracker device might be working fine but it could be a problem at SPOT's end and they can't get the data to the Trackleaders site. If so, the UMCA might have been given access to the SPOT account so they can look at the data directly if they need to, you never know. It's beyond Steve's (or his team's) control whether public access to the tracker works or not. We don't know.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #14 on: 21 January, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
And they would have said 'the tracker is broken / malfunctioning / experiencing technical difficulties' rather than 'not showing'.

Aren't those synonymous, at least for a non-techie?

Possibly Kim, but given the level of concern shown on here I would have said something like:

'Steve is fine and is heading north but unfortunately the tracker is not working.'

or

'Steve's late night on Wednesday and the abysmal weather has meant he is taking a couple of rest days in order to start refreshed and reinvigorated on Friday'

or

'Steve has come down with flu and will be off the bike for a few days. We will keep you posted as he recovers'.

I also doubt a non-techie would be handling the social media aspect.
Mojo is being awakened.

hillbilly

« Reply #15 on: 21 January, 2016, 04:10:39 pm »
This is all very confusing.

That said, the key message is he's OK.  Which is reassuring.  I'm sure we'll find out in due course what his mileage for yesterday and today has been.  And then we can dissect what it means for his attempt  ;) 

The last day or so has highlighted how fortunate we are that we can track those attempting the record, an insight that wouldn't have been possible several years ago.  Technology is great, when it works.

« Reply #16 on: 21 January, 2016, 06:29:10 pm »
I think it also emphasises the huge amount of support and concern for Steve's well being. I doubt if anyone watching (well maybe Kurt, if he is looking), is capable of riding so far for so long, day in, day out.

Steve is an absolute hero now, well beyond the Audax world and I think everyone would be gutted if any harm came to him as a result of this extended attempt, even though most people have never met him.

He is a fellow cyclist.

'Nuff said'

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »
Like many, I'm relieved that Steve is OK (given the epic ride in grim conditions), but _hugely_ frustrated not to have more news of actual riding progress since Wed morning. However, a thought:

is it possible that Steve hasnt been in contact with any team members since Idai saw him Wed morning?
So they don't actually have any more information to give us? Not riding time, not distance, nada.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 21 January, 2016, 06:58:03 pm »
I think it also emphasises the huge amount of support and concern for Steve's well being. I doubt if anyone watching

He is a fellow cyclist.

'Nuff said'

Shreds enough said.  I would say VERY WELL SAID as Steve is still held in the very highest esteem by us all

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #19 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:05:40 pm »
Steady on, folks!

We don't know anything except Steve is okay and the tracker's not showing.

Er.....that's it.
Embrace your inner Fred.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:06:39 pm »
I'm slightly stunned at how few Facebook posts are asking for more info!

(Wowbagger being one of only 2 that I could see).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:26:54 pm »
I’m sure many supporters considered a Facebook query and decided against it.

Possible reasons?

- Concern that one is asking for information about something (Steve’s well-being and the progress of the record attempt) that is in some ways very personal and private to Steve, particularly if there is some kind of problem.
- There is no history of useful information being given by the team as a result of a FB query. 
- Uncertainty about who is being addressed when posting on the page. Hoppo? No thanks. 
- A reluctance that arises from the not unreasonable feeling that the team management is simply not interested in keeping supporters updated.
- This last one is very much my own: incomprehension at the team decision to ignore yacf as a communications channel despite a huge number of supporters following the attempt via this forum. Why should I start making FB queries?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:38:02 pm »
He's riding and we don't know about it
or
He's not riding for physical or mental reasons

as long as we know he is OK I'm happy with the info we have at the moment.

Go Steve!
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:38:26 pm »
I probably tick all those boxes!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #24 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:15:11 pm »
I’m sure many supporters considered a Facebook query and decided against it.

Possible reasons?

- Concern that one is asking for information about something (Steve’s well-being and the progress of the record attempt) that is in some ways very personal and private to Steve, particularly if there is some kind of problem.
- There is no history of useful information being given by the team as a result of a FB query. 
- Uncertainty about who is being addressed when posting on the page. Hoppo? No thanks. 
- A reluctance that arises from the not unreasonable feeling that the team management is simply not interested in keeping supporters updated.
- This last one is very much my own: incomprehension at the team decision to ignore yacf as a communications channel despite a huge number of supporters following the attempt via this forum. Why should I start making FB queries?
You missed one.
- Do not consider it sensible to sign up to the planet's worst privacy invader simply to try and intrude on Steve's personal space.  Would that be ironic? I'm not sure.

If he's at home trying to come to terms with things not working out as he's had in his head for a very long time then he needs some private time.
If he's at home pushing Olympic Zzzzzzzz then same.
If he's on the road doing what Steve does and it's just a tracker issue, I can wait.

We've been told twice now (IIRC) that he's OK, that's what matters.

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.