Author Topic: Handlebar mount for BlackBerry  (Read 2205 times)

Handlebar mount for BlackBerry
« on: 25 November, 2009, 10:58:31 am »
Having set up my BlackBerry to use TrekBuddy as a GPS unit I obviously needed to mount it on the bars.  A 'proper' mount was more than I wanted to spend on an experiment so I fabricated this from old balsa (left over from modelling days) and an old Cateye light held together with rapid Araldite.  Phone is held in place by elastic bands - you should be able to make out the pin heads on the side.

Works fine.

Next stage will be to cut down the lamp casing to create a lower profile and incorporate a second section to hold an external battery pack.

FyPuNK

Re: Handlebar mount for BlackBerry
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »
A couple of questions.
1: Is balsa waterpoof? I imagine it being quite porous and if it is issing down wont it fall apart?
2: is your blackberry waterproof?

What mods have you in mind for the mk2 version?

Re: Handlebar mount for BlackBerry
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2009, 05:58:19 pm »
1: Is balsa waterpoof? I imagine it being quite porous and if it is issing down wont it fall apart?
This is the bodge it section so balsa not being waterproof doesn't matter.  Anyways it wouldn't be fitted if rain is promised!  I'm sure the black felttip that I coloured it with will waterproof it to some degree!!! ;)

2: is your blackberry waterproof?
No, but see above!  It's a spare one with no SIM so it's not the end of the world if the worst happens!

What mods have you in mind for the mk2 version?
Double depth to hold a battery pack to extend the running time.  Cutting down the lamp casing even more to slim down the profile.

Thank you for your interest!

;D