Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 408704 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #2125 on: 12 September, 2018, 01:04:39 pm »
10% CdA reduction is remarkable for "free" changes.  Given the drag is proportional to CdA *v squared, (ignoring the other bits, which I'm going to handwave away as constants!), a 10% reduction in drag leads to > 5% increase in speed for the same effort.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2126 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:59:07 pm »
That's force due to air drag.  The quantity you're more concerned about when cycling is power, and that's proportional to v^3 because though you're 'only' using four times the energy when covering a course twice as fast, you're doing it in half the time so have to run at eight times the power.  A 10% CdA improvement should see you go a bit over 2% faster. 

Given the director of Aerocoach wastes no opportunity to diss Rob's old helmet the Bambino I'm not surprised he goes faster with an Aerohead  ;)

« Reply #2127 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:34:16 am »
A 10% CdA improvement should see you go a bit over 2% faster. 

So that's about 9 miles in a 24 or 5.5 in a 12...
Definitely worth having. 
Actually, for Rob, it would be nearer 10 miles in a 24.

rob

« Reply #2128 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:23:52 pm »
Actually, for Rob, it would be nearer 10 miles in a 24.

Pity I probably won't get to ride one next year

« Reply #2129 on: 22 September, 2018, 03:06:16 pm »
I did my first hillclimb today. :) On my fixed, using 48x20. I did 7 minutes 32 seconds for 2.4km, and I got best fixie by 6 seconds (the fast guys used gears and the winner did 5:02). I'm pleased with my power though - 333 normalized power for 7:30 is a massive PB.

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/40084629-condor-hill-climb-

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2130 on: 22 September, 2018, 04:11:39 pm »
best fixie? That's a nice award  :thumbsup:

[It's a shame Condor events are helmet compulsory :( ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2131 on: 22 September, 2018, 04:16:15 pm »
best fixie? That's a nice award  :thumbsup:

[It's a shame Condor events are helmet compulsory :( ]

I assume it isn't CTT then.  Otherwise that's an illegal requirement.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2132 on: 22 September, 2018, 04:18:08 pm »
I *believe* the course is on private land (West of Oxford) - so it seems very possible it is non-CTT. I didn't check.

Oops - found it now. I was wrong - it was up Aston Hill. But I can't see it on the CTT event page.

Duncan, can you confirm?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2133 on: 23 September, 2018, 01:27:02 pm »
It was a club event, not a CTT one (I don't think any of the Condor stuff is CTT - entry is always via facebook). Helmets were compulsory, even though there was fancy dress!
OUCC run one on close roads out at Wytham Woods, but I expect that's a bit more serious than yesterdays (and that is CTT)!

Descending Aston Hill was almost as painful as going up - I spent a couple of minutes around 150rpm!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2134 on: 23 September, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »
I've seen the photos now - some great fancy dress  :thumbsup:

(click to show/hide)

Anyway, the crazy outfits cancel out the stoopid health-n-safety requirements in terms of cool!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2135 on: 30 September, 2018, 08:11:20 pm »
Sneaky end-of-season 10TT today, the TEN District 10 at Inverurie. A cold, blustery day and relentlessly undulating terrain made it a hard course. But unless my ears did deceive me, my 24:10 got me the District Champion (Vet), so happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1875002182

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2136 on: 03 October, 2018, 09:31:49 am »
Found my  result records back to 1979 whilst sorting out for the move :)

43121734_10156662228827486_967186481409949696_n by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #2137 on: 03 October, 2018, 09:39:45 am »
1980 looks mighty impressive!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2138 on: 24 November, 2018, 04:39:23 am »
For anyone who hasn't seen the news elsewhere, Frank Minto has just died.  I'm pretty sure we'll all have been timekept by him at some point, and he's a sad loss to the sport.  RIP Frank.

rob

« Reply #2139 on: 05 March, 2019, 01:32:35 pm »
This years kit is starting to arrive.   Let's hope the training is worth it.

« Reply #2140 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:24:20 pm »
Do you mean clothing or parts?

I've not ordered any new clothing, but I've got some new sprockets and a chainring. I also made myself a disc wheel: https://fixedtting.home.blog/2019/02/11/adding-a-disc-wheel-cover/ and got an aero fit: https://fixedtting.home.blog/2019/02/28/position-adjustment-videos/

Sadly, my back is playing up, so I'm probably not riding anything in March.

rob

« Reply #2141 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:29:32 pm »
Do you mean clothing or parts?

I've not ordered any new clothing, but I've got some new sprockets and a chainring. I also made myself a disc wheel: https://fixedtting.home.blog/2019/02/11/adding-a-disc-wheel-cover/ and got an aero fit: https://fixedtting.home.blog/2019/02/28/position-adjustment-videos/

Sadly, my back is playing up, so I'm probably not riding anything in March.

I changed my position in September after being aerocoached, but there was no new equipment.   My Giro Aerohead has just turned up* - was on sale at Wiggle.   I've just ordered a nopinz tripsuit in club colours which should be here in about 6 weeks.

* I have medium Bambino if you fancy trying it.   They're a bit unfashionable now but I always liked it.

« Reply #2142 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:34:09 pm »
*Thanks.  :thumbsup:  For now I'll stick to my pink Ekoi monstrosity. :) I think it fits OK and I don't want to introduce too many variables...

How much was the nopinz suit, if you don't mind me asking? Was there a minimum order?

rob

« Reply #2143 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:50:30 pm »
*Thanks.  :thumbsup:  For now I'll stick to my pink Ekoi monstrosity. :) I think it fits OK and I don't want to introduce too many variables...

How much was the nopinz suit, if you don't mind me asking? Was there a minimum order?

It's all on the site, but it was £280 (the club are contributing).   There's no minimum with their custom orders - one-offs are fine if you can provide the template.   I have had one of their speedsuits for 2 years and testing suggests the tripsuit will be a little quicker with my position.   I just need to get fit enough.

« Reply #2144 on: 05 March, 2019, 05:16:56 pm »
I'm not fast enough to justify that. Or indeed spending the cash on properly organised testing.  Maybe next year.
I want to try doing some Chung method testing (stuff like high vs low hands) this year, but it will have to wait for now.

What events are you targeting this year?

rob

« Reply #2145 on: 05 March, 2019, 09:00:49 pm »
I'm not fast enough to justify that. Or indeed spending the cash on properly organised testing.  Maybe next year.
I want to try doing some Chung method testing (stuff like high vs low hands) this year, but it will have to wait for now.

What events are you targeting this year?

It’s the start of my 7th year back and I have made changes each year.  I dread to think how much this project has cost.

Having to cancel my first ultra race was a set back, but has opened a window to ride some TTs June, July and early August after PBP qualification.  I’ve not entered anything yet but there are a few events of varying distances on the family wall chart.  I might also do some late season stuff this year.

rob

« Reply #2146 on: 22 March, 2019, 09:58:49 am »
Signed off on the skinsuit design.   Hoping to have it by the end of April.

Just need some new tyres and maybe an extra tooth on the front chainring,

« Reply #2147 on: 22 March, 2019, 10:23:25 am »
What size chainring do you run?  I got a 54 earlier this year, but I'm wondering about a 55 for sale on TTF... Do you have a range of cogs/rings like the track or fixed crit people do, or do you just run one combo for most of your events?

rob

« Reply #2148 on: 22 March, 2019, 10:28:44 am »
What size chainring do you run?  I got a 54 earlier this year, but I'm wondering about a 55 for sale on TTF... Do you have a range of cogs/rings like the track or fixed crit people do, or do you just run one combo for most of your events?

Getting the cog off is a bugger so I tend to leave the one on for the whole season.   I have a range of rings, though.

Last year I ran 50*14 on the fast courses.   It got a bit spinny past 35mph but you don't do that very often.   I did a 1:47 50 and a 3:47 100 on that gear.   My new position should change my CDA enough to warrant a bigger gear.   I have a 52 somewhere but I think I'll just put a 51 on.

« Reply #2149 on: 22 March, 2019, 12:09:16 pm »
I have 2 wheels, so I'm running one for turbo and one for outside. Both are double sided so that gives me options without having to remove cogs (though I guess that's non optimal aero). I will have to switch chains around as well though, because the turbo wheel needed a huge cog. :(
I was planning on starting out with 54x16, moving to 54x15 (near enough your 50x14) later in the year if form allows. The only TT I did on this bike last year was 52x16 because those were the only rings/cogs I had, but I should be much more aero this year.
I don't think I'll be doing 35mph - that's seriously impressive! :) If I can do a 10 as fast as you do a 100 I'll be chuffed! :)