Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2488216 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20300 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:44:43 am »
I have been fortunate enough for the last 3 years to have been able to cycle commute on and off road around the more picuresque parts of Essex. I have a variety of very pleasant routes and traffic and trouble free ways of getting in and out of the busy bits near my work. That is until last night.
Merrily making my way along the Blackwater rail trail out of Maldon when was disturbed by a large beast of an animal which jumped out of a hedge beside me and chased my for a good few hundred yards with me doing my best impression of Chris Hoy on a SS off road bike on a dirt track. Turns out to have been a f**k off great Alsatian let loose by very irresponsible owners. Usual response of 'ooh he's only being friendly' and 'he just wants to play'. Did he f**k. He was trying to take my leg off.
Fucking ignorant fucking dog owners.

« Reply #20301 on: 03 May, 2018, 11:22:44 am »
He was just wanting to play with your severed leg  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #20302 on: 03 May, 2018, 03:35:20 pm »
What's the legal situation if you go all Richard Ballantine on the slavering hound?

« Reply #20303 on: 03 May, 2018, 05:09:26 pm »
Cycling out of town in 30mph zone - cars queuing in opposite direction into town.   I move around a pothole and hear a beep from behind, cue Hilux-man giving me about half an arms length of room. I caught him up at the lights...

Hilux:  What the f*ck you doing moving into my space mate?
- You have to give cyclists room - we need to avoid potholes.
Hilux: How do I see a pothole?   ::-)
- Just look out for me.
Hilux:  I don't give a f*ck about you.
- That's obvious isn't it?
<lights go green, he pulls away>
 - 'I'm a human being!'  (spur of the moment thing, you know.  I have thought of other things I could have said but oh well)

500m up the road he's pulled into a small lay-by deliberately, expecting me to cycle passed his open window, but i do my normal divert onto the dual-use path just before Hilux, as I hear him say something about cycle tracks.

>:( ::-)

Live and learn next time I'll take the primary all the way, if there's queuing traffic on the other side, and pick up the pace slightly.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #20304 on: 03 May, 2018, 05:55:21 pm »
Due to complications with the car yesterday, I ended up leaving my cycling shoes at work, so had to ride in wearing trainers instead. Weird after more than ten years of only wearing proper cycling shoes. Not nice. I think everything is now back where it should be.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20305 on: 03 May, 2018, 07:26:02 pm »
Well the worst thing that happened on my commute was the damned oil seed rape, but I'm still going to whinge about it; bloody evil smelling weed that it is. Wanders off to see how much discount you can get on a bulk purchase of napalm.....
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #20306 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:29:36 pm »
Two arseholes close passing whilst pointing at the shit show shared-use path alongside Penistone Rd.

Neither wanted to have an adult conversation about the matter when I caught them at the next set of lights, the first simply ignored me, the second just shouted "blah blah blah" at me.

How do these people get driving licenses?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20307 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:44:57 pm »
On the basis of a decent weather forecast, I did an extended ride home which was about 55k.
But the forecast lied, and I had 2 hours of cold wet winds.
With a stupid heavy rucksack.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1547505118

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20308 on: 04 May, 2018, 07:05:14 am »
Two arseholes close passing ...
How do these people get driving licenses?
Free in every family sized packet of cornflakes because any sensible system of issuing permits to be in control of a lethal weapon would automatically reject them.  Assuming  the driver has licence.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #20309 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:14:39 am »
Irritating as it is you know that the conversation never ends well. i just stay quiet as hopefully they are out my bubble never to be seen again or if there is queuing traffic get ahead of them. the job is to get about safely and unless there car is damaged they will never listen to your side of the story

« Reply #20310 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:56:03 am »
When your wife assure's you that she's emptied everything from the weekends camping trip out of the car, don't believe her, otherwise you end up wearing winter boots in a heatwave  ::-)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #20311 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:43:19 am »
Leaving work after a hard shift, I get changed and get to the Allez about midnight. Out of the locker, onto the road, right cleat into peda and push off.

Clang. Lug holding rear mech has fractured. Bike could, therefore, be a write-off. Not happy is a massive understatement. There is no way I could afford to replace it. Fortunately, one of the lads at work offers to put the wreckage in his hatchback and run me home. Dragged MTB out of porch, soaked long unused but clean chain in lube and pumped tyres. Seems to be fine this morning; just need to switch lights over.

Arsebollocks.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20312 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:34:56 am »
Leaving work after a hard shift, I get changed and get to the Allez about midnight. Out of the locker, onto the road, right cleat into peda and push off.

Clang. Lug holding rear mech has fractured. Bike could, therefore, be a write-off. Not happy is a massive understatement. There is no way I could afford to replace it. Fortunately, one of the lads at work offers to put the wreckage in his hatchback and run me home. Dragged MTB out of porch, soaked long unused but clean chain in lube and pumped tyres. Seems to be fine this morning; just need to switch lights over.

Arsebollocks.
Aluminium frame? Is the lug integral to the frame or a  bolt on bit?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Steph

« Reply #20313 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:49:23 am »
Haven't had a look at it properly yet, but the drop outs have inserts. I suspect the lug is integral

Or rather 'was'.

Steph

« Reply #20314 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:59:11 am »
It is ab arm, the mech hanger, part of the frame.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20315 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:20:26 am »
Usually replaceable with Al frames.
https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-derailleur-hanger-4291-EV216403
A photo might help.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Steph

« Reply #20316 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:29:55 am »
Can't upload pics here. And it is not the actual hanger but the part of the frame--the lug--that the hanger bolts to.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20317 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:34:17 am »
That is a bit of a bugger then. Some Al frames can be welded fairly easily.

« Reply #20318 on: 08 May, 2018, 02:47:44 pm »
What size frame do you take?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Steph

« Reply #20319 on: 08 May, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »
My plan is to take it along to my LBS, which is within walking and bike-carrying distance, and see what he says about welding. If he can do it/knows AMWC, I shall go from there.

I have my Sardar ready for events later this year, and I spent an interesting time riding my fat-and-chunky tyred Marin hardtail to work. It only cost me £140 in 1994, so I have had my money's worth out of it as a cross-country hack. The Allez is 12 years old.

Steph

« Reply #20320 on: 09 May, 2018, 08:01:06 pm »
...and I had forgotten how much I enjoy riding the MTB, as I discussed with a colleague. She gave me the punchline:

"How much I enjoyed...as long as it stayed warm and dry!"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20321 on: 09 May, 2018, 08:12:38 pm »
There have been unfeasibly more traffic jams every day this week than I've ever seen. Does the sunshine drag folk out into their cars?

« Reply #20322 on: 09 May, 2018, 08:32:34 pm »
There have been unfeasibly more traffic jams every day this week than I've ever seen. Does the sunshine drag folk out into their cars?

I have a feeling that this is when councils spend all their dosh on road works so the governments gives them even more money next month or has that been and gone ?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #20323 on: 09 May, 2018, 09:24:12 pm »
My plan is to take it along to my LBS, which is within walking and bike-carrying distance, and see what he says about welding. If he can do it/knows AMWC, I shall go from there.
Are you thinking Mellow Miles? If so beware, he suffers from body part dyslexia1. The person I last used for Al welding in Copthorne will have long shuffled off his highly skilled mortal coil unfortunately. I shall insult (required) and then consult a mate in Horley who is one of those that knows everybody.

1Doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20324 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:05:31 pm »
Does the sunshine drag folk out into their cars?
Sun, rain, hot, cold, school run, work, leisure, shopping, weekday, weekend, shopping; everything gets people into their cars.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?