Author Topic: What software do you use to analyse your GPS tracks?  (Read 3037 times)

What software do you use to analyse your GPS tracks?
« on: 30 August, 2011, 01:04:21 pm »
I've been using sporttracks 2.1 for over a year. I've just got a new PC, and I could move to something else, or I could find a dodgy copy of 2.1 or I could pay $35 for sporttracks 3.0. Before I do the latter, I wondered what other programmes I should consider. My main use of sporttracks is for looking at the daily reports and tracking progress - I ride the same route most days.

amaferanga

Re: What software do you use to analyse your GPS tracks?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »
Golden Cheetah.  It's free.  Aimed at power meter users, but I think it now supports HR / TRIMP based metrics.

v2.1 is the development build of the official release.  There's also v3.0 which will eventually be the official release - it's a bit less stable, but more feature-packed.

Only thing is that there's not much in the way of documentation or user guides.

Golden Cheetah

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2011, 04:21:18 pm »
I really don't think there is anything remotely as good as Training Peaks WKO+ but it does cost a bit, but not as much as, say, one night in a B&B....

Hunter Allen is the guru of Power, maybe, and his book is the ONLY one I know of that tells you how to train with Power...

It can also work with heart rate, but you have to estimate the TSS (Training Stress Score) of each ride, for it to work best..
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

amaferanga

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2011, 11:34:37 am »
I really don't think there is anything remotely as good as Training Peaks WKO+ but it does cost a bit, but not as much as, say, one night in a B&B....

Hunter Allen is the guru of Power, maybe, and his book is the ONLY one I know of that tells you how to train with Power...

It can also work with heart rate, but you have to estimate the TSS (Training Stress Score) of each ride, for it to work best..

Golden Cheetah v3.0.  Has the Coggan and Allen metrics now as well as the Skiba metrics and has most of the performance tracking functions that WKO+ has.  Cost £0.

« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »
As far as I can see, neither of those programmes are useful for importing and summarising data from .gpx files (which is all I have at the moment).

« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »
Do you just want some simple reporting of time, distance, avg speed and a map?

garmin connect (http://connect.garmin.com) could be the way to go. You can manually upload gpx files and it'll do the working out for you. Being web based it does mean having a connection whenever you want to use it, but I don't know if that's a problem?

I've just forked out for Sporttracks 3, but that was because it's handier for me to handle splits, cadence/HR info, and some of the plugins are very nice (I really like the weather one that works out roughly which section had a head/tailwind).

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2011, 01:02:05 pm »
Yeah, I'm tempted to fork out for sporttracks3. SP2 has been great for me. Can you import your old notebook?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2011, 01:42:24 pm »
You can download SportTracks 2.1 here: https://rapidshare.com/files/4092986861/Setup_SportTracks_2.1.3465.exe

Or if you want to buy SportTracks 3, you can get $5 discount if you use this link from the Facebook page: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/get-sporttracks-3.0.php?coupon=FBINTRO35&ref=fb
Yes, you can import your logbook from version 2.

amaferanga

« Reply #8 on: 02 September, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »
As far as I can see, neither of those programmes are useful for importing and summarising data from .gpx files (which is all I have at the moment).

Golden Cheetah can import .gpx.  It'll give you average speed, distance, etc. and display the route on a map.  What more do you want?

« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2011, 08:32:58 pm »
I just use the free version of SportsTracks v3. There is a limit to the number of plugins you can have but it works fine for me.

« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:01:58 pm »

Golden Cheetah can import .gpx.  It'll give you average speed, distance, etc. and display the route on a map.  What more do you want?

I must be missing something - .gpx isn't lsted as one of the supported formats, and it can't see my extrex unless it's in interface mode.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:11:40 am »
Dr Mekon

How are you getting on then?  Have you found anything better?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #12 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:47:31 am »
Didn't figure out how to get golden cheetah to read gpx, and found an old copy of sport tracks. Ill upgrade to 3.1 when I get a new pc at home.

« Reply #13 on: 17 October, 2011, 12:04:42 pm »
Turtlesport http://turtlesport.sourceforge.net/EN/home.html

Still a bit buggy, e.g. monthly totals are wrong, but week and year are OK

Unlike SportTracks, source is available and builds

I looked at pytrainer recently but found it too flaky