Author Topic: Wanted - someone to test some .gpx files  (Read 2258 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Wanted - someone to test some .gpx files
« on: 12 October, 2015, 07:51:59 pm »
I have an odd issue with .gpx files being handled (or not handled!) by Windows 10 - can someone who uses Win10 and uses .gpx files in PC based mapping software - or a Garmin with mapping - do a couple of tests please?

The files in question are hosted on our club's website and most people can download and use them successfully ... it seems that Win 10 may not like them

Please PM if you can help and I'll send some details of location etc to test the files - I also need to know which browser you have ... ideally I want to test with Firefox, Chrome and Explorer 11 (I think that's the Win10 browser?)

Thanks

Rob

Re: Wanted - someone to test some .gpx files
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2015, 11:50:39 am »
Windows 10 has an all new browser called "Edge"

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2015, 08:31:54 am »
Update :  we've cracked it - or at least know that it's a browser issue ... good old Microshaft strikes again!   

Seems that the later Explorer/Edge browsers "look at the file and see that it's .xml" .. and then either open it as text OR save it as a  .xml file  (just changing the extension to .gpx and the file works with mapping/GPS etc.

Editing out the first line of the file which is an .xml header partially solves the problem (Win 10 and Expl 11) but still fails with Win 8.1/Expl 11)

At least it's not something that's mission-critical ... I reckon a lot of our cycling club members are still using Windows 3.1  .. with the more tech-savvy at Win 95  ;D ;D

Rob

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2015, 09:34:35 am »
I think your 1st solution (change the extension to gpx) is a lot better than your 2nd (editing the top line out - thus potentially spoiling the file for the 90% who wouldn't have had a problem in the first place).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2015, 09:39:10 am »
I think your 1st solution (change the extension to gpx) is a lot better than your 2nd (editing the top line out - thus potentially spoiling the file for the 90% who wouldn't have had a problem in the first place).

Not that simple - it's the USER that would have to save and change the file extn - that will take some explaining and some of the people have trouble switching on the light they're that old! ...... the REAL answer is to forsake Explorer/Edge and use Firefox, or even Chrome (which I consider to be the work of Satan) both of which work perfectly to download and save the .gpx as is.

Rob

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2015, 10:31:03 am »
Have you set the correct MIME types on the server?

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2015, 10:43:03 am »
Have you set the correct MIME types on the server?

I no understand ... the files are hosted in a Joomla component called jDownloads on our webite

Rob

Ben T

« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2015, 04:02:39 pm »
Press F12, look in the networks tab, that will show you what MIme type it's being transmitted with.

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2015, 05:04:19 pm »
Press F12, look in the networks tab, that will show you what MIme type it's being transmitted with.

Sorry that makes no sense to me either - the server is not under our control as such - it's running at Heart Internet as the hosting company - we just have webspace account where we run a number of sites, most of which use the Joomla CMS

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2015, 05:50:13 pm »
Jesus wept.  Obviously Microsoft have never heard of GPS.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2015, 05:57:52 pm »
It evidently is a MIME type thing - but it's unusual for that to be browser-sensitive isn't it?  If the MIME type for GPX files is not set up (and on most servers 'out of the box' it isn't) then Firefox will just display a load of text gobbledygook, in common with other browsers.
The solution, since you don't have control over the server settings, is to accompany the file link with text that says 'to download a GPX file, right-click and Save As'.

If IE has taken to saving with an .xml extension (which of course on many computers is hidden anyway), then maybe you have to extend the message to add 'and Save As a .gpx file'.

GPX is a form of XML, so by removing the top line you are corrupting the file.  It's quite likely that some software and some GPS models would be unable to read it.  Just becausee it works with the mapping and GPS you use, proves nothing.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »
It evidently is a MIME type thing - but it's unusual for that to be browser-sensitive isn't it?  If the MIME type for GPX files is not set up (and on most servers 'out of the box' it isn't) then Firefox will just display a load of text gobbledygook, in common with other browsers.
The solution, since you don't have control over the server settings, is to accompany the file link with text that says 'to download a GPX file, right-click and Save As'.

If IE has taken to saving with an .xml extension (which of course on many computers is hidden anyway), then maybe you have to extend the message to add 'and Save As a .gpx file'.

GPX is a form of XML, so by removing the top line you are corrupting the file.  It's quite likely that some software and some GPS models would be unable to read it.  Just becausee it works with the mapping and GPS you use, proves nothing.

I will ask the host about MIME setting - but I also run a website using an older version of Joomla (1.5 - the new offending site is on 3.x) and the library component that stores the .gpx files - that works perfectly with all combinations of Windows and Explorer/Edge browsers.

My knowledge of MIME is zilch ... is there likely to be something in the Joomla files (which I can access and amend) or is it a server function?      The fact that Joomla 1.5 works and Joomla 3.x doesn't makes me wonder?

I agree that the editing of files is not the way to do it ... BUT it may have pointed out the reason for the problem.

Rob

« Reply #12 on: 15 October, 2015, 06:12:53 pm »
Another solution is to zip the file for download. 

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2015, 07:13:33 pm »
My knowledge of MIME is zilch ... is there likely to be something in the Joomla files (which I can access and amend) or is it a server function? 

Mine too!  (and Joomla! too!!)  You might be able to set up a .htaccess file which sets up a MIME type.  These files are more usually about password-protecting a directory but they do have other uses.  Google it.  Otherwise it is a rather deep server setting, a config file that is editable easily enough but you would be unlikely to have access to.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 15 October, 2015, 07:55:52 pm »
You can add this line to an existing    .htaccess      file:
Code: [Select]
AddType application/octet-stream .gpxor I think you can create a new file containing just that one line.  The file must be called
.htaccess
(note the initial dot) and and reside in the directory containing the downloadable file (or a parent directory of that directory)
obviously you first have to ensure that a file with this name doesn't already exist, and be aware it may be a 'hidden' file.  Your hosting may or may not allow you to do this.

However according to this page
http://www.htaccess-guide.com/adding-mime-types/
A handy trick, to force a file to be downloaded, via the 'Save As' feature in the web browser, set the MIME type to application/octet-stream and the browser will immediately prompt for download. Note, this does not work consistently in some versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer.

So it could be back to square 1 - if Firefox automatically downloads anyway, probably the server is already set up thuis way but IE is just being IE ...

robgul

« Reply #15 on: 15 October, 2015, 08:24:25 pm »
I think I've cracked it .... the Joomla component had to have the "upload rules" amended to allow .gpx files - that action seems to have triggered a setting that "stops downloads triggering browser action to open a program" (or words to that effect) - removing .gpx from that list and it seems that the required "open with" or "save" options work with Win 7, 8, 10 and Explorer 11 browser.

Someone is just doing a final test but it looks like the answer - if not ... I'll be back

Thanks

Rob

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #16 on: 15 October, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »
Sounds like Joomla! has got it all in hand.

It's interesting though, about some browsers behaving differently to others.
To test this, here are two links, one of which I know does not have the MIME type set (my own website) - so that GPX files when clicked appear as gobbledeygook -
and one which I know does have the MIME type set for gpx (the AUK website, which I currently administer) - so that GPX files when clicked present as a download -

http://www.aukadia.net/tracks/ - click any of the gpx links on this page - will probably appear as gobbledeygook.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-874/ - the gpx link on this page (near the bottom) should present as a file.