Author Topic: [LEL17] Bag Drops  (Read 46629 times)

Re: How will bag drops work? (2013)
« Reply #25 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »
I believe you can have access to each bag in both directions... so long as it is not at a control that is on one of the "one-way" loops at either end.

Totally as I understand it.

So a bag drop at 3-400km will give you a change of shorts after the first day and then another pair for your last day on your second visit.

Remember to include a plastic bag in your drop bag to separate the filthy from the clean.

Thanks for the reply. Very cool if so, my planning so far was both at Barnards Castle - but if I can use in both directions then I can be smarter about doubling each bag up with spare stuff for the return trip too.
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2013, 03:07:37 pm »
Market Rasen and Brampton gives splits of 246, 304, 301, 302, then 265 to finish.

264 might be too early, though it does make the other legs nice and even. Maybe split it up based on where you plan to sleep?

« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:08:37 pm »
Wot happened to the principle of self reliance ???

ps can I have my bags drops at......

Can't remember which control it was on last PBP but saw a lot of americans ? sorting through a mountain of identical bags instead of doing something useful like sleeping :facepalm:

After a 1000k you won't care if you stink like three day old desert road kill  :sick:

Carry a spare pair of shorts and a tooth brush

You will recognise me......I'll be the smelly one near the back of the field ;D

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »

dave

Ah but how can I be sure it's you and not a mirror huh?  ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2013, 06:13:47 am »

Hey that's my job - hands off!

Not so much Lanterne Rouge as Lanterne Malodorant

« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »
Maybe there will be color-blind volunteers ?... ::-)

...yes; definitely one that I know of at Eskdalemuir. LOL.... but I don't think there will be 'bagdrops' there.  :-\

Denise x

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 11 January, 2013, 12:57:39 pm »
Another slightly odd question... suppose you select bag drop locations on the basis of a calculation of speeds in previous events... and then on the day you are faster and get to a control, say the one with the yellow bags, but you decide it's too early for a sleep, you can carry on to the next one....but you don't have space in saddle bag for the contents of the bag, so you decide to sling it over your shoulder and ride carrying it to the next control where the bags are all purple.
At the "purple" control, you sleep, change clothes, and want to leave the smelly stuff in the yellow bag.

What will the system do with the odd coloured bag?

I undertand that pots of paint of all the various colours will be available at all controls.

More importantly, I have also heard that riders will be required to have coloured valve caps to match their bag drops, so that helpers can quickly assist riders with their resupply needs.
You've missed the crucial information that each control will have a colour coded pump available for riders' use, supplying appropriately coloured air. Any rider found with the wrong colour air in their tyres may not be allowed to control.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #32 on: 11 January, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »
You've missed the crucial information that each control will have a colour coded pump available for riders' use, supplying appropriately coloured air. Any rider found with the wrong colour air in their tyres may not be allowed to control.  :D

I misread that first time as "wrong colour hair" - and immediately got concerned that "grey and balding" may not be acceptable at any control

Phil W

« Reply #33 on: 11 January, 2013, 08:34:40 pm »
I misread that first time as "wrong colour hair" - and immediately got concerned that "grey and balding" may not be acceptable at any control

or you may find that grey and balding is the busiest control....

« Reply #34 on: 11 January, 2013, 09:40:05 pm »

or you may find that grey and balding is the busiest control....

& thats just the volunteers & controllers !!! ;D

Phil W

« Reply #35 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:02:26 am »
Do you need to bring your stuff and fill up the bags on registration day, or can you do it Sunday morning as well?

« Reply #36 on: 11 March, 2013, 06:49:54 pm »
Wot happened to the principle of self reliance ???

ps can I have my bags drops at......

Can't remember which control it was on last PBP but saw a lot of americans ? sorting through a mountain of identical bags instead of doing something useful like sleeping :facepalm:

After a 1000k you won't care if you stink like three day old desert road kill  :sick:

Carry a spare pair of shorts and a tooth brush

dave

Can one of the bag drops be Laughton i.e the finish........mrs.dasmi refuses to collect me if I smell 5 x as bad as I did after the easter arrow

cheers

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #37 on: 14 April, 2013, 11:13:09 pm »
Will the clothing we leave on the way up be laundered in time for us to wear again on the way back?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #38 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:06:59 am »
Possibly - provided you take the time to do it yourself !
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #39 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »
I thought we had until 30th April to decide on the location of our bag drops, but the LEL website says: "After you make your choice, please click ‘update’ to save it. You can change your bag drops at any time until 31 May 2013."  Which is correct? ???
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #40 on: 26 April, 2013, 03:05:02 pm »
Good spot, which I've now amended. You have until 30 April.

Phil W

« Reply #41 on: 26 April, 2013, 08:33:43 pm »
Any stats on bag drops so far?

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #42 on: 27 April, 2013, 06:40:55 am »
Yes. Bag drop requests have shot up over the last few days.

Market Rasen   212
Pocklington   187
Thirsk   147
Barnard Castle   95
Brampton   283
Moffat   58
Edinburgh   178

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #43 on: 27 April, 2013, 09:13:55 am »
Interesting info Danial.

Considerable number of people using Edinburgh (myself included) which I though wouldn't be the case (as you only access it once).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #44 on: 27 April, 2013, 10:26:46 am »
You have until early Wednesday morning to book or change your chosen drops. After that, we're locking your choices.

« Reply #45 on: 27 April, 2013, 10:54:11 am »
Considerable number of people using Edinburgh (myself included) which I though wouldn't be the case (as you only access it once).

I suspect that may be because people are thinking of sleeping one night on the way to Edinburgh, one night at Edinburgh, one/two nights on the way back - which is what I did in 2009, and makes Edinburgh a reasonable option. It's also a psychological point - we've got half way so clean up, fresh shorts and jersey, and head back home.

« Reply #46 on: 28 April, 2013, 11:35:03 am »
Yes. Bag drop requests have shot up over the last few days.

Market Rasen   212
Pocklington   187
Thirsk   147
Barnard Castle   95
Brampton   283
Moffat   58
Edinburgh   178

That's in total 1160. Seems that many participants will do it with less than two bag drops or haven't made a selection yet.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #47 on: 28 April, 2013, 11:46:58 am »
Most people who have booked a bag, have booked two bags. Very few have booked one, and even fewer have booked two at the same control.

« Reply #48 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:48:37 pm »
I knew changing the bag drops was the end of this month, and I knew it is the 29th today. But I for some reason thought I had loads of time to decide still  ??? :facepalm:

Thanks for the heads up, will think and choose tomorrow.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #49 on: 30 April, 2013, 07:28:50 am »
Thanks for the heads up, will think and choose tomorrow.

At a slight tangent from this, I've been impressed by receiving "nagging" emails from the organisers, reminding us to select start times and bagdrops, and reminding of the selections that we've already made. It all helps to build confidence that everything is under control  and we are already being looked after :thumbsup: