Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 4150 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #25 on: 25 December, 2018, 02:20:31 pm »
*splorfle* Yes can imagine some fettlers just sit and admire their work or hide in the shed "looking" at a bike to get away from Other-Half as it were :D

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #26 on: 25 December, 2018, 02:23:31 pm »
Merry Xmas all. Hope you are all less lurgied than we are in SnotHQ, which we are at least keeping to ourselves.
Ah - so you two are the secretia santas?

Sneezons Greetings!

(Please accept my terrible - worse than cracker - jokes in the intended spirit, and get well, or at least drier, very soon)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #27 on: 25 December, 2018, 02:34:19 pm »
*cacklesnorts* thank you, that's a great joke!

Mostly appreciating that we don't /have/ to do anything, put up with anyone annoying and have a nice warm house to keep our snot to ourselves. Also that we seem to be avoiding anything medic-worthy as out of hours is no fun for anyone!

ian

« Reply #28 on: 25 December, 2018, 02:39:01 pm »
Up before noon. No sense in rushing. Knock back some coffee. Prepare turkey (soften some onions, celery, sage in butter) throw in turkey, place in slow cooker with a gallon of stock and wine, season and forget. I'll remember it some time this evening when the rest of the stuff has to go in the oven. Scramble some eggs and smoked salmon (cheese for me, raw fish is an abomination). Round of mimosas x2. Back on coffee. I can't believe this house doesn't feature a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream.

(Sympathies in advance for anyone who has to eat carp. You could just skip it and eat the mud from the bottom of your garden pond.)

Now hiding from the in-laws. They're in crossword mode. I fucking hate crosswords. Cranking out some tunes and drawing a karate kitteh (LMC is roundhousing a festively baublized Bad Cat that's fallen off the Christmas tree of nightmares) for the wife's belated Christmas card. Need to send a few festive emails to people I really should email more, but I'm a bloke, so you know. And compile a playlist for the kitchen later. Tunes, booze, and brussel sprouts. It's not quite sex, drugs, and rock and roll, but I've arrived at the age where you take what you can get.

Merry toots.

« Reply #29 on: 25 December, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »
Carp is what made me hate Polak Christmas ever since I was a child. (That, and barszcz).
Like it's f*cking intimidatingly large when its on the table, ugly and tastes, as you say, of mud.
Bottom feeder.
Says it all.

I managed to score two proper Christmas dinners in my works canteen in the 2 weeks coming up to Christmas.
Result.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:31:30 pm »
Fortunately my German in-laws shared the opinion of sane people everywhere, viz. that carp are for looking at.  We are having loin of Bambi today as Professor Larrington and Dr Davis are elsewhere.  Tomorrow will be the Trad. Arr. Xmas dinner, with goose.  Which we need to look up the cooking time for.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:41:02 pm »
Carp is what made me hate Polak Christmas ever since I was a child. (That, and barszcz).
Like it's f*cking intimidatingly large when its on the table, ugly and tastes, as you say, of mud.
Bottom feeder.
Says it all.

I managed to score two proper Christmas dinners in my works canteen in the 2 weeks coming up to Christmas.
Result.

My late paternal grandmother used to cook a carp for special occasions. I quite liked it.

I think my Mum would be a kindred spirit to you; she dislikes beetroot and carp but really isn't fussy...

« Reply #32 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:43:40 pm »
We've been working our way around the various bits of roundabout art in South Ribble. This year has been the most appropriate for the big rusty war memorial.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #33 on: 25 December, 2018, 04:18:36 pm »
Bottom feeder.
Says it all.

Result.

My late paternal grandmother used to cook a carp for special occasions. I quite liked it.

I think my Mum would be a kindred spirit to you; she dislikes beetroot and carp but really isn't fussy...

In southern Alsace, a.k.a. the Sundgau, they take thick cross-sections of carp and deep-fry them.  I once did a Carpe Frite ride, around 475km split over 2 days with a night in a hotel that served a decent carp. That was fun.

Can't stand the stuff these days - too greasy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 25 December, 2018, 05:08:25 pm »
Well we didn't have carp. Which is good cos no one likes it. But we did have barszcz. Which I'm not mad about but with red beans is good. And pigs in blankets. Is this the wrong thread to point out how CDC they are?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 25 December, 2018, 08:07:22 pm »
UK or US pigs in blankets?  Theirs are sausages en croute, not sausages wrapped in bacon.  Weirdos.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #36 on: 25 December, 2018, 08:31:34 pm »
I can't decide whether I prefer stilton with Laphroaig or stilton with Talisker.
I will continue to investigate.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #37 on: 25 December, 2018, 08:37:07 pm »
Not sure the conclusion is really critical - as long as your research is thorough...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #38 on: 25 December, 2018, 08:42:33 pm »
Tors, general comprehensibility of your post suggests current bias towards the cheese end of the equation.  On which subject, Wensleydale with cranberry passing muster here.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #39 on: 25 December, 2018, 08:51:53 pm »
Tors, general comprehensibility of your post suggests current bias towards the cheese end of the equation.  On which subject, Wensleydale with cranberry passing muster here.
Wensleydale deserves to be served unadulterated. In fact I tend towards all cheese to be served unadulterated. If you want fruit or other stuff with cheese than fine, but add it to your plate, not during the forming process. The latter just inflicts your strange tastes on everyone else.

I did say elsewhere that I’m a Christmas grouch didn’t I?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 25 December, 2018, 08:53:16 pm »
In fact I tend towards all cheese to be served unadulterated. If you want fruit or other stuff with cheese than fine, but add it to your plate, not during the forming process. The latter just inflicts your strange tastes on everyone else.

See also: Beer batter.

« Reply #41 on: 25 December, 2018, 09:00:47 pm »
While I usually agree about not adulterating cheese, the Wensleydale with gingerbread we had last night was quite interesting in a nice sort of way.
Not sure it still counts as cheese though.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #42 on: 25 December, 2018, 09:08:19 pm »
Wensleydale deserves to be served unadulterated. In fact I tend towards all cheese to be served unadulterated. If you want fruit or other stuff with cheese than fine, but add it to your plate, not during the forming process. The latter just inflicts your strange tastes on everyone else.

I did say elsewhere that I’m a Christmas grouch didn’t I?

.... and is eaten unadulterated on every other day of the year in this household!  Just Christmas decorations, really.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #43 on: 27 December, 2018, 02:52:37 pm »
Sorry I'm late, hope you all had a good few days, certaintly looks like it.

Just returned home after a fee days at my sister's where much merriment was made, along with quantities of beef, ham, turkey and enough cheese to sink the Dutch Navy (Moby Dick reference).
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens