Author Topic: [HAMR] Some "The Year" spam please delete if naughty  (Read 6202 times)

[HAMR] Some "The Year" spam please delete if naughty
« on: 11 November, 2016, 09:01:06 am »
This is part public service announcement but I can't hide a vested interest.

I have convinced my publisher to drop the Kindle price of The Year to £1 as I felt it was way too high a price for those with maybe just a casual interest. If you've not read it yet then now's the chance to get a copy on the cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Year-Reawakening-Cyclings-Hardest-Endurance/dp/1910240435/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478854117&sr=8-3&keywords=dave+barter

Please delete if deemed not appropriate.

The Moderators consider this to be entirely appropriate.

red marley

Re: Some "The Year" spam please delete if naughty
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2016, 11:19:51 am »
Just to add, as someone who has read the book, if you haven't it would be a (a very small amount of) money well spent. Meticulously researched and engagingly written.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2016, 11:22:34 am »
Just to add, as someone who has read the book, if you haven't it would be a (a very small amount of) money well spent. Meticulously researched and engagingly written.

This Unit hereby endorses this product, service or opinion.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2016, 11:57:18 am »
Marvellous!

PS: I presume there will be a further edition of this book in the not-too-distant future.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2016, 12:27:57 pm »
E-version "yes" once Amanda/Kajsa/Alicia are done

Paper version is a "maybe" as my publishers will  have to sell current inventory before they would do a revision

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »
Cool! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2016, 03:05:15 pm »
Damned Kindle app gums up my tablet. Will order when unstuck.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2016, 10:02:21 am »
And huge thanks to citizenfish and his publishers for giving away a copy each month this year for our highest ton tally on the Year Century Challenge.
Still two copies up for grabs for Nov and Dec and Audax riders are the most likely winners at this time of year. https://www.strava.com/clubs/centurychallenge

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2016, 11:31:49 am »
It is a very well-researched and fascinating book.  I haven't found the 'naughty' bits yet, so will have to reread.

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2016, 11:50:19 am »
I'm in! thanks for that, hope it a successful move for you.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2016, 08:13:57 am »
That's my next read sorted  :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2016, 09:33:33 am »
Ditto :)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2017, 04:11:59 pm »
Although I bought it a long time ago, I've only just got round to reading it.  A most excellent tome!  Well done, Dave.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »
I managed to finish the book a week or so ago (long queue in my device), but it was most excellent.  Eagerly awaiting the electronic update!
Getting there...

KM

« Reply #14 on: 11 August, 2017, 02:03:24 pm »

« Reply #15 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:20:39 pm »
I'm afraid I've become mildly obsessed with the story of Rene Menzies. Still so many question marks in my head about him so all spare time is currently spent learning French.

« Reply #16 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:42:56 pm »
I'm afraid I've become mildly obsessed with the story of Rene Menzies. Still so many question marks in my head about him so all spare time is currently spent learning French.
If I can help with the French do let me know.  By an accident of fate I learned to read & write French before I ever mastered the complexities of English, and although my spoken French can no longer quite be mistaken for that of a resident of l'hexagone very few francophones guess that I am actually a 'rosbif'.

« Reply #17 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:38:13 am »
Cheers I will definitely be in touch at some point.  :)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #18 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:59:24 pm »
If I can help with the French do let me know.  By an accident of fate I learned to read & write French before I ever mastered the complexities of English, and although my spoken French can no longer quite be mistaken for that of a resident of l'hexagone very few francophones guess that I am actually a 'rosbif'.

You can brush up on this (large PDF, Menzies obit on 2nd page)
http://www.aukweb.net/handbook/Menzies_March_1959.pdf
While based in London, he rode PBP three times, successfully in '48 and '51 and DNF the third.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #19 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:17:10 pm »
He certainly did his bit to for Anglo-French relations among cyclists !
I can certainly translate the whole thing if needed.

« Reply #20 on: 20 August, 2017, 08:21:07 am »
Great find Frankie was that a good Google or a find from elsewhere?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #21 on: 20 August, 2017, 09:44:47 am »
No, credit must go to LittleWheelsandBig, who initiated a long email exchange with an ACP official, Alain Collonques, mainly about very early AUK ride records, and they kindly cc'd me in on the conversation. At one point Alain attached that PDF along with the following email text:
I think that you are speaking of René MENZIES. He was in PBP 1948 (85:24), PBP 1951 (77:02) and PBP 1956 (AB). He was living in England but he was a Frenchman. During the Second War, he was the chauffeur of General de Gaulle in London. He was member of ARC (Audax Road Club).

He had been as Steven ABRAHAM recordman of the longest distance by bicycle in a year (more than 100 000 km). He was born 24/06/1889 in France and he died while he was cycling in London at the end of 1958 or at the beginning of 1959. I don't know the right date of death.

There are some infos in Wikipedia but the dates are false. I send you an article in memorian of René Menziès from Le Cycliste of March 1959. Le Cycliste was a very ancient newspaper who had been founded by Velocio. This paper is dead in 1973 with his last director André RABAULT.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll