Author Topic: SRAM X5 and bar end shifter compatibility?  (Read 1154 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
SRAM X5 and bar end shifter compatibility?
« on: 18 April, 2019, 07:30:46 pm »
I'm  fittiing a Boardman Comp hybrid ca 2009 with an On One Mungo mustache bar. The mech is marked SRAM X5 9-speed (1:1 pull) but the bike had an 8-speed cassette, apparently original, and I see no need to go to nine.

This is, hopefully, going to be a cheap-but-not-nasty build. I have a pair of old Shimano index/friction bar end shifters of 1980s vintage in the bit box. Will they pull enough cable to work, or can the panel suggest an alternative?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Re: SRAM X5 and bar end shifter compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2019, 08:10:02 pm »
you need about 4mm cable pull per shift for the RD, i.e. ~32mm total. This is a 180degree swing on a shifter which has a 20.4mm diameter cable wrap.  The barrel on the lever needs to be at least 19.5mm dia to get enough cable pull if a 180 degree swing is available.

IIRC this is touch and go with a typical shimano B.E. shifter and many DT shifters too; they need to pull about 22mm as standard and once you get near 30mm that is about it.

One suggestion is to use a Sun Race B.E. friction (power ratchet type) shifter; IIRC this has a larger barrel and wraps a bit more cable. I think it will be about three clicks per downshift with your setup.

Another possibility is to mount a short length of 22.2mm dia tube on/near the handlebars and to mount a flat bar shifter to that.

cheers

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:19:03 am »
You can pick up an SRAM X-4 8 speed trigger shifter for next to sod all on eBay.

It will just work.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2019, 11:17:32 am »
IIRC the Mungo handlebar is 23.8mm dia and a flat bar shifter won't fit easily to it.  Having said that some of the less expensive SRAM shifters have a steel band under a plastic cover; these are presumably somewhat amenable to being opened up and fitted with a longer bolt.

cheers

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2019, 02:30:07 pm »
IIRC the Mungo handlebar is 23.8mm dia and a flat bar shifter won't fit easily to it.  Having said that some of the less expensive SRAM shifters have a steel band under a plastic cover; these are presumably somewhat amenable to being opened up and fitted with a longer bolt.

cheers

Does anyone know if the X4 has such a band? The X5 has a cast alloy clamp that I managed to crack trying to make it fit.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2019, 02:50:30 pm »
Yes. It's removable too.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.