Author Topic: Mudguards.... Again  (Read 2321 times)

Mudguards.... Again
« on: 21 April, 2019, 09:00:43 pm »
The cheap and badly fitting mudguards I had on my thorn club tour suffered the consequences of me rushing to put panniers on and not doing a proper job.... Look it was my birthday and I was running late OK. Anyhow I need some new ones and spending my birthday money on some.

What would people recommend. Has 35c tyres on so needs plenty of clearance. Are sks chromo plastics the way to go?

Re: Mudguards.... Again
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2019, 09:19:56 pm »
That’s what I have on my tourer  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2019, 11:12:12 pm »
Gilles Berthoud mudguards are quite nice but they give the whole bike a different feel as well as a different look.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2019, 11:33:19 pm »
Are sks chromo plastics the way to go?
SKS revamped and renamed their mudguard range a few years ago and not all retailers have caught up.  Most of the current models are now under the Bluemels label, so when you buy some of those sold as SKS you're either getting old stock that has been correctly described or new stock that might not be identical to the description.  I've no reason to think they aren't all of the usual SKS quality.
You haven't said what colour you're looking for, if you like matt black I can recommend the bluemels Matt 45 which I have or the Stingray look similar with added coloured stripes, there's also some newer aluminium models though I haven't seen these.  The full range can be seen here
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/productcategories/mudguards/

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:56:33 am »
SKS revamped and renamed their mudguard range a few years ago and not all retailers have caught up.  Most of the current models are now under the Bluemels label, so when you buy some of those sold as SKS you're either getting old stock that has been correctly described or new stock that might not be identical to the description.  I've no reason to think they aren't all of the usual SKS quality.
You haven't said what colour you're looking for, if you like matt black I can recommend the bluemels Matt 45 which I have or the Stingray look similar with added coloured stripes, there's also some newer aluminium models though I haven't seen these.  The full range can be seen here

I would describe the SKS brand mudguards as two ranges :   SKS and Bluemels - not a great deal of difference in my view but a different price point with SKS about 25% more expensive on RRP  (the SKS mudguards also have what has the perception of having better quality packaging!)

The other mudguards to consider are Tortec which tend to be a bit more friendly when clearances are tight.

Rob

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2019, 08:28:57 am »
Tortec reflector guards are actually thicker plastic than sks, I know cos I tried to put a bridge that was designed for sks on a tortec the other day. It fit across the span of it, but the lips didn't clip round because the plastic was too thick.
Therefore less likely to crack I guess.

Pdw ones are nice but the rear one rattles. Selling them if anyone's interested.

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:55:35 am »
The full range can be seen here

What a mess! It looks like SKS don't know what to do with the Bluemels brand name. And where's the plain standard silver chromoplastic mudguards, previously known as ESGE and now SKS?

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Bluemel_Brothers

"30 years BLUEMELS by SKS-GERMANY"
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/nachrichten/30-jahre-bluemels-by-sks-germany/
SKS should make brightly coloured and lightweight mudguards under the Bluemels brand,  just like the original Bluemels.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stronglight/sets/72157607772637804/

Funnily enough, which is what they once did:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2019, 02:34:06 pm »
That's the Edge range. I say "range" AFAIK there are two sizes: I have the 56mm width on my Sequoia. I only fitted them a week ago so can't really comment in detail yet but they seem quite stiff and are surprisingly easy to fit. Unlike the rest of the SKS range, you don't have to cut the stays to length, they adjust for length with sliding fittings. They fit to both vertical and horizontal seat stay bridges, which is good. Clearance seems quite good. Only available in matt black though, which is a shame cos I echo Hubner's comment above.

Ed: If you do go for the Edge guards, they are much cheaper from Germany (I used Bike24) than UK sources, even including postage.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2019, 04:36:41 pm »
They need to be 45 I think as tyres are 35. Probably go silver but not hugely worried.

Are the bluemals good quality? I was looking at the sks as that's apparently what would come with the bike from new

« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2019, 04:49:06 pm »
And also on the topic of mudguards the front fixing that goes into the front of the fork crown is a bit of a pita as fouled on the headset bottom cup. Is there a better solution then packing out with washers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2019, 04:52:49 pm »
I have kinked or trimmed the mudguard tab for headset clearance. The tab doesn't need to have a closed hole.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:15:30 pm »
the worst clashes occur at the front of the fork crown, because someone has been daft enough to specify AK fit brakes on a frameset with mudguard eyes.  Simply because the head of a fastener on the back of the fork crown is smaller than the spacer on the back of a typical caliper assy, any clash is less of a problem.

You can convert a set of AK-fit DPs to nutted ones by either fitting so-called 'fender nuts' or by replacing the shorter centrebolt from a pair of brakes to the rear caliper, then using that caliper at the front. A spacer (a washer of the right size will work, eg a spacer from a  V-brake brake block) at the back of the fork crown /brake bridge will allow nuts to be used in the conventional way to secure the brake/mudguard properly.

If you do this

a) the rear mudguard gets more clearance because the mudguard bridge doesn't have to be under the caliper and/or the brake bridge any more

b) the front mudguard is closer to the road and will actually do its job better.

If you do have to slot a mudguard fitting, consider folding the corners over a little, so that the fitting won't drop out as soon as the mounting is the slightest bit loose.

cheers

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:16:57 pm »
I would describe the SKS brand mudguards as two ranges :   SKS and Bluemels - not a great deal of difference in my view but a different price point with SKS about 25% more expensive on RRP  (the SKS mudguards also have what has the perception of having better quality packaging!)
So where's a link to this SKS range?  It's not on the SKS website.

« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2019, 06:55:37 am »
 SKS front mudguards are far  too short. I use rear ones on my trikes (they come in pairs) Fettled up a custom crown tab and trim with plenty of overhang at the front and the plastic mud flap is close enough to the road the keep my feet clean.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2019, 07:28:45 am »
So where's a link to this SKS range?  It's not on the SKS website.

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/productcategories/mudguards/   - they are listed by brand rather than genre?   [On the trade distributor's website (Zyro) for dealers they appear by genre]

Rob