Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575887 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11650 on: 24 December, 2019, 02:45:49 pm »
Weather forecast was for showers this morning and solid rain this afternoon, so I thought "no bike" and took metformin at breakfast & lunchtime. Since 2 pm we've had bright sunshine.  Weather looks OK tomorrow but it's f**king Eczemas, innit?

Also: managed to bite the edge of my tongue and when I chew or talk the tooth rides in it and hurts like hell.

Not amused.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11651 on: 28 December, 2019, 04:02:36 pm »
Someone I like (& rather fancy) has just posted a link to a Michael McIntyre sketch. She doesn't live in the UK, so can be forgiven, I suppose.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11652 on: 31 December, 2019, 03:40:46 pm »
Email yesterday: <client> is still at work and has a project coming in 31st December at 3pm. Can you do it for a 7pm deadline?
Me: Yes, no problem.
Today: no sign of project. Email to find out. "The end client has cancelled it." Well thank you for telling me!

OTOH it means I can get the Friday morning project finished today and hopefully get the Monday project finished before Saturday, so I might get a weekend. Might even ride a bike...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11653 on: 01 January, 2020, 08:59:38 am »
The municipality didn't have the usual New Year fireworks, so we were spared them going flash & bang for an hour and scaring the shit out of our dogs.  OTOH the neighbours' kids started theirs on the dot of midnight and scared the shit out of them for an hour and 40 minutes.

« Reply #11654 on: 01 January, 2020, 04:18:27 pm »
So, I thought I'd try Freegle (a Freecycle copy) to avoid sending stuff to landfill. Two ads placed.

One got a very quick response from someone who seemed very keen, but failed to turn up without explanation. The other got a response from someone very keen who then decided she'd been gifted the same items. Possible, but implausible.

Then, someone who followed up on the first item after I'd been let down left a very terse message because I took 5 hours to reply to his response. FFS, It's NY Day & I was out for a walk. Tosser.

The council refuse site beckons...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11655 on: 01 January, 2020, 06:59:35 pm »
Charidee shop? Better than the tip.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11656 on: 06 January, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »
Yesterday morning I said to myself, "I've not had a cold for ages".   By 11 o'clock that night I had a runny nose, scratchy throat & was feeling cold.    I put some PJ's on & popped 2 Lemsip before bed.  I had some rather strange dreams & was so zonked out this morning I was an hour late getting into the office.  I'm sleepy, grumpy, my body temp is all over the place & it's an effort to lift a mug of tea.  Pah!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11657 on: 06 January, 2020, 01:33:45 pm »
You now need to say "I haven't got better for ages".

« Reply #11658 on: 06 January, 2020, 01:47:40 pm »
Yesterday morning I said to myself, "I've not had a cold for ages".   By 11 o'clock that night I had a runny nose, scratchy throat & was feeling cold.    I put some PJ's on & popped 2 Lemsip before bed.  I had some rather strange dreams & was so zonked out this morning I was an hour late getting into the office.  I'm sleepy, grumpy, my body temp is all over the place & it's an effort to lift a mug of tea.  Pah!

Fear not, many of your colleagues will be joining you within 48 hours....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11659 on: 06 January, 2020, 07:44:34 pm »
Costco had Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%) for £29.98.   Hopefully that will cure what ails me.   

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11660 on: 06 January, 2020, 07:54:43 pm »
Costco had Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%) for £29.98.   Hopefully that will cure what ails me.

:D  Why the hell is this in the grumble thread?   ???

Oh. I see.
GWS Andrew.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11661 on: 06 January, 2020, 09:00:51 pm »
Looks like I'll have a Dry January.
D opened a bottle of bubbly for a gathering chez nous yesterday and served all the attendants but left none for me...

« Reply #11662 on: 07 January, 2020, 11:51:18 am »

You sure thats not £229 Andrew?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11663 on: 07 January, 2020, 11:59:55 am »

You sure thats not £229 Andrew?

Yes !  It's very nice as well, needs a splash of water though.  They do have some very expensive stuff on their website, but other stuff in the store isn't listed.  https://www.costco.co.uk/Wines-Spirits-Beer/All-Spirits/Whisky/c/cos_6.10.2

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #11664 on: 07 January, 2020, 12:17:55 pm »
Didn't know that Costco did whisky, and in fact they don't.  They don't list Ardbeg.......

« Reply #11665 on: 07 January, 2020, 12:27:33 pm »
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/5850/aberfeldy-12-year-old   They also have that for £26 which is a nice, easy drink.    Never seen any Ardbeg in there.

« Reply #11666 on: 07 January, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »
Saturday night Scottish Power dug a 3 foot deep trench across the end of my driveway (and next doors) to fix a broken cable. Sunday they filled it up with hardcore with just the tarmacing to do. Today a truck of tarmacers arrived spent 15 mins looking at the hole and buggered off again.

I'd quite like to have access to my property that doesn't include cutting across next doors garden or climbing over a wall.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11667 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:44:27 am »
The other day the postie bunged a card through Ye Letterbocks informing me that an item could not be delivered because Insufficient Postage and if I want it, that'll be £1.50.  The card does not, alas, give any clue as to the identity of the said item, so I have had to fork out just to be able to find out what it is.

Should it prove to be the long-awaited tickets for next month's Explosions In The Sky gig there will be Explosions In E17 and ringing denouncement of those involved on Social Media.  Ticket agencies are rip-off bastards made of piss anyway.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11668 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:48:08 am »
I had one of those a while back, insufficient postage, 50p to pay. So like a mug I made my way into town handed over the bounty and received a lovely piece of junk mail.

« Reply #11669 on: 10 January, 2020, 11:40:06 am »
Still feeling crap. A sore throat & hawking up green grot now  :sick:

I've been working from home since Monday, which I dislike, but I suppose it's more considerate to others.

ian

« Reply #11670 on: 10 January, 2020, 11:41:20 am »
Went to the mothership on Tues/Weds. Itchy throat and cough on Friday. All aboard ye good ship contagion.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11671 on: 10 January, 2020, 02:00:57 pm »
Hurrah: mystery post not gig tickets :thumbsup:
Bah: mystery post not gig tickets >:(
Hurrah & bah simultaneously: mystery post = draft copy of the Last Will & Testament of Larrington, Mr.

Mortality, eh?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11672 on: 11 January, 2020, 12:34:39 pm »
My dentst: I don't want to call you Martin, I want to be scared of you, keep you at a distance and call you Mr W***. Your false friendliness sounds just that. Just look at my teeth, tell me the good/bad news and let me get out of there a.s.a.p., please.

On the other hand, you are a good dentist practicality-wise, so I'll put up with you.

Oh, and enter the 21st century and start accepting card payments. Nobody uses cheques these days for such things. Unless you're called Rees-Mogg, of course.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11673 on: 11 January, 2020, 04:07:06 pm »
I am quite happy to call/refer to my dentist as J****. We are a similar age, I've briefly worked alongside his brother M***, he treats my parents. It all seems part of the family.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11674 on: 11 January, 2020, 05:21:18 pm »
Oh, and enter the 21st century and start accepting card payments. Nobody uses cheques these days for such things. Unless you're called Rees-Mogg, of course.
Is your dentist's fee in guineas?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.