Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576628 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11725 on: 22 January, 2020, 02:10:27 pm »
Extended faffing seems to have led to the frame and wheels I wanted being out of stock.
Also, my head is full of snot and my throat hurts.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #11726 on: 23 January, 2020, 10:47:35 am »
My (ex)energy supplier, SSE, have just advised me that their records show that my electricity meter has expired.
(They've been haranguing me to allow them to fit a smart meter for some time, now).

[snipped]

SSE tried a different tactic with me - they wrote a letter thanking me for booking my smart meter installation and gave me a date and time. [For the avoidance of doubt, I haven't booked any such thing]. The unintended consequence of the letter was to provoke me to look into finding an alternative supplier.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11727 on: 23 January, 2020, 11:35:23 am »
David's off to a concert imminently.
I thought I'd look at the violinist's website... http://www.dominikarosiek.org/teaching.html

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11728 on: 23 January, 2020, 11:39:12 am »
Her masterclass http://www.dominikarosiek.org/ismm/index.html is clearly intended for Messrs Larrington and ian. (Niedzwiedz means bear!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11729 on: 23 January, 2020, 12:16:39 pm »
Her masterclass http://www.dominikarosiek.org/ismm/index.html is clearly intended for Messrs Larrington and ian. (Niedzwiedz means bear!)

This will in future make me think of Germany's famous former Racing Motor-ist Klaus Niedzwiedz in an entirely different light.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11730 on: 23 January, 2020, 12:34:10 pm »
A page of lorem ipsum and a ink to last year's masterclass impress me not. There was a 404 on another link...

« Reply #11731 on: 23 January, 2020, 12:54:36 pm »
I have this browser set to automatically translate stuff. This is what I read on the teaching page:

Lorem ipsum carrots or poverty and ullamacorper the first players receive at least some homework mass mountains and sterilized invest hatred antioxidants. It has been said, and the film of at lectus viverra molestie nisl neque amet et vulputate whole, but also to those who invest nostrud. Free but need members chili Reserved partners laughter it that disease. Fusce mollis viverra interdum vel ut of life, one that was not, nor how the gall. But phasellus a non neque eget. In the warm-up and there was a lot at Sed bow of the boat passengers. Soccer fears makeup PCs is not the real estate economy. Earth need not be cured by any law enforcement landed at the price of their hatred lorem lorem lorem hunger playing.

;D

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11732 on: 23 January, 2020, 01:22:23 pm »
That looks like the Mission Statement from where I used to work. Actually, no. That makes more sense than our old mission statement.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #11733 on: 23 January, 2020, 01:25:31 pm »
It reads like Boris Johnson in full spoffle mode. He went to public school, you know.

The peril of incomplete Wordpress templates.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11734 on: 23 January, 2020, 01:54:09 pm »
Lorem ipsum carrots...

Lorem ipsum always makes me think of:

I wonder if his name's Johnson...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11735 on: 23 January, 2020, 09:38:32 pm »
After 7 days off work I thought I'd better do something about a formal sick note, or "Fit Note" as they are now called.    My GP's surgery allows you to give your symptoms & ask for one online.  I did this & got a text saying it been written & I could collect it from the surgery.  No option to email it to me  :facepalm:

This required a total of 7Km of walking & a short train journey.  I was so tired when i got back I fell asleep missed the Mahler concert I had a ticket for.  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11736 on: 24 January, 2020, 12:41:13 pm »
I have this browser set to automatically translate stuff. This is what I read on the teaching page:

Lorem ipsum carrots or poverty and ullamacorper the first players receive at least some homework mass mountains and sterilized invest hatred antioxidants. It has been said, and the film of at lectus viverra molestie nisl neque amet et vulputate whole, but also to those who invest nostrud. Free but need members chili Reserved partners laughter it that disease. Fusce mollis viverra interdum vel ut of life, one that was not, nor how the gall. But phasellus a non neque eget. In the warm-up and there was a lot at Sed bow of the boat passengers. Soccer fears makeup PCs is not the real estate economy. Earth need not be cured by any law enforcement landed at the price of their hatred lorem lorem lorem hunger playing.

;D

I may have to steal that to use as a stock reply to Farcebok spammers ;D  At the moment it's random stuff from the Wikinaccurate article on hagfish, and one charmer got very miffed last night.  "Take  thisdown. This  is a Business  web site!" he said, in a manner both barely literate and factually incorrect.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11737 on: 24 January, 2020, 03:26:07 pm »
Gravel! The new (old) bike buzzword. Special bikes, shoes, tyres, components that seemingly are v.similar to XC or road componentry and command a 20% increase in price. Now I may be old fashioned but back in the day the likes of Anquetil, Coppi, Bartali etc rode bikes using large gearing, tubular tyres etc on unmade roads. Nice to have all this 'gravel' eqpt but people seem to be sucked into something that was being done 100 yrs ago and in the case of Audax is still being done - sometimes in sandals and on fixed gear bikes

fuzzy

« Reply #11738 on: 24 January, 2020, 11:31:46 pm »
Gravel! The new (old) bike buzzword. Special bikes, shoes, tyres, components that seemingly are v.similar to XC or road componentry and command a 20% increase in price. Now I may be old fashioned but back in the day the likes of Anquetil, Coppi, Bartali etc rode bikes using large gearing, tubular tyres etc on unmade roads. Nice to have all this 'gravel' eqpt but people seem to be sucked into something that was being done 100 yrs ago and in the case of Audax is still being done - sometimes in sandals and on fixed gear bikes
Oi- leave my wages earning tactics alone!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11739 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:00:27 am »

Ô blessëd dyslexia, I read that as Grave!  You're right, it is.

« Reply #11740 on: 28 January, 2020, 11:33:41 am »
Yesterday I felt a bit better, so did the moderately physical task of changing the sheets & rotating the mattress .     I had an iffy nights sleep & have only just got up, with a worse sore throat & feeling of general knackerdness  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11741 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:22:25 pm »
Go back to bed.

« Reply #11742 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:32:52 pm »
Ah, Amazon and age restricted deliveries  :-\  I broke my pruning saw, so ordered another. Now it seems there needs to be someone over the age of 18 with appropriate ID to receive it. That's fine, had I known it was coming today, except I'm at work and my wife's gone to the library  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11743 on: 28 January, 2020, 02:35:33 pm »
Bloody facilities team

In our new offices we have a lovely set of showers, for commuting cyclists, lunchtime joggers, etc.

There is also a drying room, for drying out wet clothes. This is not so lovely; it is a bit small, has no heating and little ventilation. A sort of 'not drying' room. But still, it is something.

It is heavily used

The facilities team have declared a policy that the drying room and lockers will be cleared of all personal belongings (towels, clothes, shower gel etc) every night.

No consultation, no warning.

Last night they cleared out the lockers, just dumped everyone's belongings into big crates and put the crates in the company post room. Tonight they are removing any towels or other personal items left in the drying room.

These offices, I should add, are huge. Nearly 400m long, with the changing/shower rooms at one end. So anyone from the far end wanting to use them, and (now) needing to store anything at work, is faced with a half mile walk. Stupidly time consuming.

The reason why they are doing seems to be that the drying room/changing facilities are too popular. Too many cycle commuters, the drying rooms can't do the job. So their solution is to stop people using them for the purpose for which they were built.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11744 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:00:28 pm »
Perhaps they should put a dryer in there?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11745 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:03:43 pm »
Perhaps they should put a dryer in there?

No power socket  :facepalm:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11746 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:20:05 pm »
They are the facilities team!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11747 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:32:11 pm »
They are the facilities team!

Yeah . . . which means they are very good at putting signs up telling people not to do things.

Adding power sockets is somewhat difficult since most of the building only has power-over-ethernet cabling
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11748 on: 28 January, 2020, 04:24:18 pm »
Great Western Railway: I don't mind if you have engineering works from11-19 April in the Bristol area.

I DO mind if you inform me a ticket I am trying to book becomes unavailable in the five minutes between selecting a journey and attempted ticket purchase.

Thankfully, Transport for Wales obliged without a 50% hike in the price. TfW also charge no extra for postal ticket delivery.

I used them last year and have used them again.

GWR you do yourself no favours!

« Reply #11749 on: 02 February, 2020, 03:33:40 pm »
Guerrilla pruning, chimney re-pointing and fox shit.

I’m just back from the rear of my property, accessed via a road different to the one I live on, where I carried out some guerrilla pruning of my neighbour’s Leylandii as it was robbing me of ~ 1/4 of the big sky that would otherwise be visible to me when I am lying in bed.
On that particular score, the mission was largely a success, although I need to return in order to effect some minor trimming.
Perhaps tomorrow.

Go back back a couple of years, when Ronald and David were my tenants upstairs.
Following some particularly stormy weather, they reported the ingress of water into their newly decorated chimney breast at the back of the house.
My friend's builder at the time, was prised from imminent retirement.
He came round and inspected the chimney breast from indoors and declared that the chimney would need re-pointing.
A date for the work was agreed on.
He turned up and carried out the work.
He sent me a photo of the re-pointed chimney.
I showed the photo to Ronald and David, and they promptly paid the bill.
Something that, as freeholder of the property, I probably should’ve done but, for the moment, let us gloss over that particular detail.

So, fast forward to the present day, where I find myself just outside the back of my property with a lopper on the end of a 2m pole.
For the first time, I am able to see the chimney, which is otherwise not visible whilst the viewer is on my property.
There is no re-pointing.
Nor is there any evidence that there ever was any re-pointing.
Sure, the builder showed me a picture of a re-pointed chimney.
However, I’m pretty sure that the chimney in the picture he showed me, belonged to someone else.
It certainly wasn’t a picture of my chimney.

The fox shit comes into this as I have just had the unenviable task of removing said shit from the chunky soles of my hiking boots.

Delightful.