Author Topic: things i'd like to eat  (Read 21922 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: things i'd like to eat
« Reply #200 on: 02 February, 2021, 05:19:43 pm »
Currywurst I'd like to eat.
It is the one component that VW have produced more of, than any other part, since 1938.

Remember that there are strict laws about sausages.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #201 on: 02 February, 2021, 06:33:08 pm »
It is the one component that VW have produced more of, than any other part, since 1938.

Botulism is so named from the Latin for sausage...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #202 on: 02 February, 2021, 06:39:35 pm »
VW's sausages detect when they are being eaten and reduce the bacteria count accordingly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #203 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:47:39 pm »

Botulism is so named from the Latin for sausage...

If I recall correctly, when Arthur Dent returned to Earth from his adventures to find it, and his house, had not been destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass, he discovered two mouldy things sitting in his fridge, ate them, and thereby spared the world from the deadly diseases he had picked up on his travels.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #204 on: 04 February, 2021, 03:31:50 pm »
Check out his first book Kitchen Confidential, a savage acid sharp take on working the kitchens. The main ingredients are sex and drugs. Or mostly drugs and sex. It's not exactly Delia Smith.

I've just been sitting here trying not to fall asleep during a Zoom meeting. My eyes started wandering over the bookshelf opposite my desk and I spotted my copy of Kitchen Confidential. I just pulled it down to have a look and what do you know - there's a quote from the Guardian on the cover:
"It's not exactly Delia"

Apparently, I read it in February 2003. I can say this with some authority because I seem to have used a pass from a shift at BBC Worldwide as a bookmark. Feels like such a long, long time ago.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #205 on: 04 February, 2021, 03:38:42 pm »
Check out his first book Kitchen Confidential, a savage acid sharp take on working the kitchens. The main ingredients are sex and drugs. Or mostly drugs and sex. It's not exactly Delia Smith.

I've just been sitting here trying not to fall asleep during a Zoom meeting. My eyes started wandering over the bookshelf opposite my desk and I spotted my copy of Kitchen Confidential. I just pulled it down to have a look and what do you know - there's a quote from the Guardian on the cover:
"It's not exactly Delia"

The same goes for his Les Halles Cookbook, where the recipe instructions often read like he's beasting a commis chef who's just been promoted from the plongeurs.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #206 on: 04 February, 2021, 04:41:12 pm »
Man, the Guardian should give me job.

It was a while ago when I read it – I recall reading it while sitting in Newark International waiting for a delayed flight. Which never happened. So I hired a car and it snowed some more so I ended up finishing the book in an anonymous hotel somewhere on Long Island while I waited for a delayed ferry and the snow to stop. I think I successfully turned a 30-minute flight into a 1.5-day journey. But it was a good read.

It's a bit uncomfortable now we've binged into the later series of Parts Unlimited knowing what is going to happen.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #207 on: 04 February, 2021, 09:44:11 pm »

"It's not exactly Delia"

Apparently, I read it in February 2003. I can say this with some authority because I seem to have used a pass from a shift at BBC Worldwide as a bookmark. Feels like such a long, long time ago.

I agree, it is a great book.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #208 on: 05 February, 2021, 11:43:18 am »
 Craved sardines on toast last night after work. Plastic white bread, tinned sardines in oil. Nommalicious.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #209 on: 05 February, 2021, 12:25:16 pm »
I was out for a minihike yesterday when the name Meltis Newberry Fruits suddenly, for no traceable reason, popped into my head. I very much doubt I've eaten them since the mid 90s. I've just checked and they are still made; but I have a feeling that if I were to get some they would inevitably be Not As Good As They Used To Be.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #210 on: 05 February, 2021, 03:55:06 pm »
When I was a nipper they were my favourite sweets, and of them the pear one was best.  Years later I bought a box, and the pear ones were gone.  I often* wonder if the delicious pear-flavoured liquid inside wasn't carcinogenic. Or summat.

* FCVO often.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #211 on: 05 February, 2021, 04:03:16 pm »
When MrsC's mother died one of the things in her room was a box of Newberry fruits.
They were unopened and we were really looking forward to trying them.
They had fermented, and not in a good way.
It transpired that, although given quite a few boxes of sweets, she didn't eat many herself and used to hide the others as 'the staff would eat them all' if they were visible. So in the end, nobody got to eat them which was a bit sad.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #212 on: 05 February, 2021, 05:48:42 pm »
And lo! today I was in M&S and having bought the things I was supposed to buy (mostly, forgot couscous*) I espied some "fruit jellies". I bought them and I have just eaten some and they are very nice. I don't know if they're quite the same thing but they must be similar.

*Unavailable at Tesco.

ian

« Reply #213 on: 10 February, 2021, 08:36:09 pm »
It's like crime in a multistorey car park, wrong on so many levels, yet the result is so right. Ladies and gentlemen, I ask you to google the countertop nacho cone and behold the awesome. The result is like an ice cream, but it's nacho.

« Reply #214 on: 11 February, 2021, 06:29:00 pm »
I have. I wouldn’t bother.
Tinned spag bol, on the other hand .... 🤤
My bold.
Just sampled the Heinz variant of this
3/10
I've a couple of others to test - including Sainos own brand at half the price of Heinz.
That gives me Teh Fear.
Oh, dear. One woman’s comfort food is another man’s poison I spose.

'Twas ever thus...
Tinned Heinz Macaroni cheese?
Now you're talking.

ian

« Reply #215 on: 11 February, 2021, 07:20:10 pm »
I like American cheese food product. Those little slices or the stuff that squirts out of cans or must be scooped out of jars. It's a palette of gorgeous orange and yellow. There, I've said it. Even the little unpeeling process that get out those slices, what a ceremony.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #216 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:27:14 pm »
I've a feeling for me those would be pretty much on a level with "cheeze".

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #217 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:38:44 pm »
I like American cheese food product. Those little slices or the stuff that squirts out of cans or must be scooped out of jars. It's a palette of gorgeous orange and yellow. There, I've said it. Even the little unpeeling process that get out those slices, what a ceremony.

It is not cheese...but it is a guilty pleasure IMO.

ian

« Reply #218 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:46:46 pm »
The internet tells me that the Kraft Single, surely the definitive item, is legally a 'pasteurized prepared cheese product' as the US FDA, in their wisdom, determined that products with less than 51% cheese were not allowed to be called cheese.

Quote from: the internet
The Kraft singles ingredient list consists of cheddar cheese, whey, water, protein concentrate, milk, sodium citrate, calcium phosphate, milkfat, gelatin, salt, sodium phosphate, lactic acid (as a preservative), annatto and paprika extract (for color), enzymes, Vitamin A palmitate, cheese culture, and Vitamin D3.

I am pretty sure that's crossing a lot of important food groups off my daily requirement. Honestly, unpeeling one of those slices and popping into my mouth is heavenly. You can do while pretending to get something out of the fridge. I keep a pack of Dairylea slices in there for this very purpose. Sadly, they're not proper American pasteurized prepared cheese product. Cheez Wiz (I see what you did there) is pretty good too, more so because you can eat it with a spoon.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #219 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:11:45 pm »
The internet tells me that the Kraft Single, surely the definitive item, is legally a 'pasteurized prepared cheese product' as the US FDA, in their wisdom, determined that products with less than 51% cheese were not allowed to be called cheese.

Quote from: the internet
The Kraft singles ingredient list consists of cheddar cheese, whey, water, protein concentrate, milk, sodium citrate, calcium phosphate, milkfat, gelatin, salt, sodium phosphate, lactic acid (as a preservative), annatto and paprika extract (for color), enzymes, Vitamin A palmitate, cheese culture, and Vitamin D3.

I am pretty sure that's crossing a lot of important food groups off my daily requirement. Honestly, unpeeling one of those slices and popping into my mouth is heavenly. You can do while pretending to get something out of the fridge. I keep a pack of Dairylea slices in there for this very purpose. Sadly, they're not proper American pasteurized prepared cheese product. Cheez Wiz (I see what you did there) is pretty good too, more so because you can eat it with a spoon.

If you eat enough you will be preserved for ever.  Like an egyptian mummy.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #220 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:22:18 pm »
I just had a Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle. Man, that was so precisely what I needed right now.

Looking at the nutritional information, it's mostly fat and carbs, with a generous helping of chilli and salt thrown in. All the boxes ticked.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #221 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:16:15 pm »
Primula cheeze in tubes can be eaten by the spoonful or will last almost indefinitely in your fridge.
Less faff than some of these plastic creations.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #222 on: 11 February, 2021, 11:13:55 pm »
I just had a Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle. Man, that was so precisely what I needed right now.

Looking at the nutritional information, it's mostly fat and carbs, with a generous helping of chilli and salt thrown in. All the boxes ticked.

And 50p too.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #223 on: 12 February, 2021, 12:11:11 am »
...Cheez Wiz...

Known as "Cheez Wiz, boy" hereabouts.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #224 on: 12 February, 2021, 01:12:06 am »
Some guy left this card.  Cop.  Said he'd be back.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime