Author Topic: AndrewC Hoek van Holland to ?  (Read 3665 times)

AndrewC Hoek van Holland to ?
« on: 28 August, 2018, 08:45:02 pm »
Probably Maastricht, and then back to the coast.

Hoek van Holland to ? https://trackmytour.com/lfhH9

I rolled off the ferry to a cool grey morning. Waiting in line for the passport check took a while. I decided to follow last years route the LF12 rather than go up the North Sea coast. This time I know the way so less faffing around checking . Pedalling along beside the Maas I see a woman walking 2 dogs, so slow down & one of the furry bastards nips me . Very apologetic lady, abused rescue dog etc. Luckily it didn’t break the skin .

Shortly further on I had to navigate past some cows that were grazing by the path, they had shaggy hair & long horns, a native breed or Scottish imports?

Through the Benelux cycle tunnel and past Rotterdam, the cafe where I had lunch last year is shut.  Onwards & the weather becomes sunnier.  I cross the river by a little ferry at Puttershoek & shop at Lidl.

84Km to the campsite at de Knotwig, which is pretty & has ants & cicadas...

Sausage & pasta followed by an early night.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: AndrewC Hoek van Holland to ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2018, 07:18:38 am »
A cool night & a lovely misty morning. Flicks of geese whooshing over the tent.

Something has been snacking on me. I’ve got small lumps on my head & face, and large ones on my right leg, hip & arse  >:(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:46:12 am »
We have had a morning of rain, which appears to be heading your way. Keep dry!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:47:30 pm »
Only 56Km today, I’m not very good at getting away in the mornings. No one to pay at the campsite & no honesty box, so a free night.  Off into the wetlands, lots of birders up on observation platforms. As well as duck & geese I was told some type of eagle lives locally.

Last year I took a straighter route to save time, this year I followed every little wiggle of the LF12 route & very pretty it was.  Light drizzle for much of the day, but I was ok in shorts, T shirt & Tilley.  Lunch was bread, cheese & salami at the roadside.  Another bloody dog growled at me & had to be restrained by its owner  >:(

Got to tonight’s campsite at Kasteel Nederheimert & the heavens opened. It’s still raining now. Rice & sausage for dinner. Hopefully tomorrow will be drier.

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2018, 02:29:11 pm »
Looks like the weather will be fine here in NL the coming days, this weekend and next week - light breeze and around 25c with lots of sunshine, Lucky you!

Regards,

Alan

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2018, 07:57:26 pm »
Today has been dry, with big, dramatic cloudscapes. 

Only 54Km due to another late start getting the tent dry. €10.50 for the campsite, it’s a nice spot but only 1 washbasin, toilet & shower available, others locked.

Easy riding close to the river, I missed some of the more meandering bits, which would have meant getting to tonight’s site too early, so sat on a bench & admired the view for a while.  Lunch was Uitsmijter, a piece of thick brown bread, a slice each of ham & cheese & 3 fried eggs on top. €7.50.  Washed down with the first beer of the trip.

Last year my campsite was buzzed by Apache gunships, this year there are lots of Chinooks flying around.

Tonight’s campsite is de Maasakker, The owner checked his records & I was here on the same date last year.
Yet more big lumps on my neck, but I’m not hearing mozzies?

The route skirts most of the villages, but it’s no problem finding somewhere to have a drink or bite to eat, however there appear to be no small shops to buy milk or bread etc. I guess the supermarkets have killed everything off.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2018, 08:56:44 pm »
Uitsmijter - nom nom
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2018, 10:07:56 pm »
Uitsmijter - nom nom

This ^^^^^

I have a recollection that the Highland cattle have been identified as the best for improving 'soil' in the dunes, though I know there aren't any dunes on the Maas path.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2018, 08:53:23 pm »
65Km. A good (but cold) nights sleep but a tent soaked in condensation.

Away by 10 riding through quiet fields back to the riverside route. An early stop in Grave for Schnitzel met friets & a beer then off again.  I trim a little loop out of the route near Mook to save some time. It’s dry but there are still some big clouds.

Into Gennep which is the biggest place I’ve been to for a few days, there are shops! I get some food at Aldi.

A bit further on & I should cross the river to follow the LF3 route, but tonight’s planned campsite is at Geijsteren so I stay on this side.  It’s the biggest site yet, with I suppose the best facilities (washing machine etc) and bars/restaurants within walking distance, but my pitch backs onto the road & is noisy.

The Aldi steak was crap, I diced it & cooked it with tomato & garlic & ended up with a pan of grey water.

All of the campsites so far have been Natuurkampeerterrein, all €9 - €11 and pretty decent. Unlike French campsites they provide bog roll!

Strange design choice in tonight’s toilet block , a central aisle with male/female showers & loos either side. The doors leading to the toilets had clear windows in, and the urinals in the gents were right next to the door

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:50:32 am »
Early morning loo break with a gorgeous sun rising over the misty Maas, beautiful.
Now drinking tea in the tent & listening to distant shotgun blasts. Wildfowling must be big around here.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2018, 07:26:19 am »
Gennep not so far from me here, we sometimes cycle there. I can recommend Arden for a visit, south of Gennep and on the border with Germany.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 01 September, 2018, 10:56:24 am »
I saw a red velomobile earlier, riding through Broekhuizen. An oldish chap with glasses.

Currently in Arcen having coffee & apple tart.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: 01 September, 2018, 11:04:40 am »
Just round the corner from me then, 25km away up the hill into DE.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13 on: 01 September, 2018, 12:44:16 pm »
I saw a red velomobile earlier, riding through Broekhuizen. An oldish chap with glasses.

Currently in Arcen having coffee & apple tart.

Neat, you're near to Venlo, one of my passing through towns in my last tour. As I was going through everyone was getting the train to Nijmegen for the walks.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #14 on: 01 September, 2018, 01:17:25 pm »
Sitting on the bank of the Maas in Venlo at the moment. Having a sandwich after getting slightly off route in the woods.

« Reply #15 on: 01 September, 2018, 09:05:05 pm »
69Km today.

Up early but still didn’t get away until 10. Bright & sunny all day. Back to the river & the first of the days 3 ferries. Through flat countryside & small villages. Lots of horses, greenhouses & fruit trees, even a vineyard.

A stop for coffee & cake then onwards, it’s Saturday so everywhere is busy. The roads & cycle paths here in Limburg are rougher than in Brabant. Part of the day is on dirt tracks through a forest where I get slightly lost, but find my way back to the LF3 easily.

Through Venlo & stop for a beer, then on through Roermond & tonight’s campsite Natuurkampeerterrein Raayerhof , a largish site on a working farm. I have to move my drying clothes as some horses were taking an interest. 

Pasta with chicken & pesto for dinner.

« Reply #16 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:42:38 pm »
86Km today, no wonder I feel knackered & was putting the tent up in the dusk.

Gorgeous weather & very busy cycle paths, though possibly the dullest scenery of the trip.

Into Roermond which is pretty & then back to the river, which by now is joined by a couple of big canals as well.  The LF3 meanders all over the place which is why it was such a long day. I skirted Maastricht itself, a shame as I recall it being a nice place & get to De Bosrand, a campsite at Sint Geertruid I’ve stayed at before.   There are _some_ hills in the Netherlands & this place is half way up one! Another reason to be tired.  They’d stopped serving in the site restaurant so I had a quick beer before putting the tent up, wolfing a 500ml pot of yogurt & cooking pasta & pesto.
Cicadas again .

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 02 September, 2018, 11:52:02 pm »
Those little buggers seem to be coming further and further north.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2018, 09:45:51 am »
Early morning shopping at an open Lidl. Some food. AA batteries as my rechargeables don’t seem to be holding a charge.
No “spiritus” (meths) and I’m running low. Good job I like my steak rare...

« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2018, 07:41:20 pm »
57km to Camping de Boomgard at Aldeneik in Belgium.
Uneventful day. I did a better report but the phone lost it & I can’t be bothered retyping it!

« Reply #20 on: 04 September, 2018, 08:37:44 pm »
71Km today. It started off misty & overcast, then the sky cleared later & I’m now feeling a bit pink.

I followed the LF5 to the pretty town of Thorn, where I picked up the LF7 Overland Route. I followed this up past Weert. Big cloudless skies, fields of maize, fruit trees, greenhouses of soft fruit & lots of horses.

I had lunch at Nederweert then got slightly lost to the North of the town, the official route takes a big loop to the east, I cut some of that out by going cross country.

At Lierpop I buy food & beer. I smash one of the bottles before I can pack it away & spend 10 minutes picking the shards up.

Camping at De Lier I spill some of my pasta as well  :facepalm:

Tomorrow I’ll circuit Eindhoven on the LF13 route before picking up the LF11 to Breda & Dordrecht.  Then I can retrace my first day back to the ferry.

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:00:09 pm »
Those little buggers seem to be coming further and further north.
Don’t knock ‘em: they’re nature’s way of masking tinnitus!

« Reply #22 on: 05 September, 2018, 08:00:14 pm »
Gah! Lost the original post again!
65Km,  hot & humid, mostly avoiding Eindhoven. I did go through Neunen, birthplace of Gerwinium & sometime home of Van Gogh & Dijkstra.

Tonight’s campsite is Het Achterste Loo near Tilburg, a lovely €10 site on a working farm.

All my clothes smell, the still humid weather isn’t good for drying. I washed shorts & shirt earlier & now it’s threatening to rain. Forecast is wet all day tomorrow as well  :(

« Reply #23 on: 06 September, 2018, 08:28:01 pm »
85Km today. Away fairly early, quiet farmland then a couple of hours riding through woods, the Chaamse Bosschen.  Quiet paths though in one section the bike path had been laid with square cobbles which hadn’t been maintained properly, they were wobbly to ride on & presenting sharp edges to my tyres so I moved onto the adjacent horse track to make better progress.  The woods are logged & I spent 5 minutes waiting for a logging truck to pick up a tree trunk. At that moment the heavens opened & the driver ran for his dry cab so I could scoot past. Into Breda , the path was occupied by a flock of geese, I was able to get past unpecked.

I got slightly lost in Breda, then found my way via Prinsenbreek & Zevenbergen to the A16 bridge over Hollands Diep. There is a cycle path.  Through the Kiltunnel to s-Gravendeel and a campsite at Mookhoek.
The cheapest so far at €6.75 but the facilities are a bit shabby & there is a large group of very noisy school kids . Not very impressed with the accompanying adults, not much consideration for other users.  >:(

« Reply #24 on: 07 September, 2018, 04:09:43 pm »
69Km today. 761Km in total.

I'd better complete this before I forget what happened.      The noisy kids were sent to bed at 10ish, not before one had tripped over my tent & been sworn at  :-[  (I wasn't in the best of moods).

I packed up & got away the next morning to find them all over the local roads on skateboards, with their own bollards to do slaloms around.  I took the Nomad through a few of these to applause.   A short while on I encountered another batch of them, the "responsible adult" was on his skateboard, on _my_ side of the road, head down & texting on his mobile while heading straight for me.  I'm not sure what "Oi, dickhead" translates to in Dutch, but it had the desired effect.

I got to Puttershoek to find that the ferryman was taking a break & the next run wasn't for an hour, so I carried on the coastal bike route, at this stage the headwind became a definite problem.  At Heinenoord there is a road tunnel, with a separate tunnel for bikes accessed by lifts at either end.  I used this and then followed the Oude Maas bank for a while.  The LF12 route goes around past Poortugaal & Hoogvliet but I got to Rhoon & then went inland.  This took be via some very busy docks to the Beneluxtunnel I'd used at the start of the trip, this time one of the lifts was bust so I had to hold the bike on the escalator.

After the tunnel I retraced the first days route (after getting a bit lost again) and then it was onto the cyclepath along the Nieuwe Waterweg to the ferry port, straight into the teeth of a howling headwind.  I was so glad it was a sunny day, if it had been raining this would have been really nasty, rather than just exhausting.

I reached the Hoek at about 17:00,  it was still cold so I put my legwarmers & down jacket on, while eating fish & chips from the handy stall.   They opened the gates & after a brief wait all the cyclists & motorcyclist rode straight up the ramp & onto the ferry home.