Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 198836 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1250 on: 01 November, 2022, 05:43:32 pm »
Quote from: rafletcher
When younger members of staff wearing wooly hats in the office really annoy you.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1251 on: 01 November, 2022, 05:44:39 pm »
When younger members of staff wearing wooly hats in the office really annoy you.

Hang on, aren't you supposed to be annoyed with them for turning up the heating rather than wearing warm clothes?  It's hard to keep track...

« Reply #1252 on: 01 November, 2022, 06:10:02 pm »
As I was in a polo shirt it wasn’t exactly freezing - and neither was he shaven headed so air con breezes weren’t an issue. It seems to be a “fashion” thing. Also, similar aged colleagues wandering around in over-the-ear headphones.    >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1253 on: 01 November, 2022, 06:10:32 pm »
You're obviously not keeping track Kim and have failed to notice that woolly hats are now worn all year round.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1254 on: 01 November, 2022, 06:22:03 pm »
Also, similar aged colleagues wandering around in over-the-ear headphones.    >:(

Yeah, that's definitely a thing.  It's like earbuds are only allowed if they're those silly Apple ones, so now everyone looks like an autistic person wearing noise-cancelling headphones.

Still, I'm not going to complain, as they are at least using headphones (and ones that do a reasonable job of containing the sound) rather than sodcasting.  I suppose it helps keep the hats in place.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1255 on: 01 November, 2022, 07:02:45 pm »
I blame that Dave Evans off of U2.  Because I can.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #1256 on: 02 November, 2022, 10:11:23 pm »
Good god, I'm on a fashion site (not a euphemism, people) on a hunt for cheap shoes and the things people seem willing to wear. Bright orange moccasins. For the love of the little sweet baby cheesus. Orange moccasins! Designer Crocs. I need drugs for my eyes! I'm not sure whether they're intended for young people or very mad old people. They have a physical concept store which I think is modern speak for a shop. Or digital touchpoints. Which I think is a website. I'm probably about to undertake a digital transaction experience. Maybe some kind of financial intimacy.

Anyway, I'm going to look the primo duds in those mocs. The red trousers will be stealthy in comparison. I think I understand why some people wear sunglasses indoors. They're going to need to.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1257 on: 02 November, 2022, 10:21:30 pm »
... with added self indulgent drivel and shitverts.

When you say things like this.

;D

I learned it from you at that funny cycle track brewery.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1258 on: 02 November, 2022, 11:29:02 pm »
Also, similar aged colleagues wandering around in over-the-ear headphones.    >:(

Yeah, that's definitely a thing.  It's like earbuds are only allowed if they're those silly Apple ones, so now everyone looks like an autistic person wearing noise-cancelling headphones.

(My bold)

Which has got to be a good thing if it helps stop gobby twats harassing autistic people for 'being different'.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1259 on: 03 November, 2022, 08:46:17 am »
Good god, I'm on a fashion site (not a euphemism, people) on a hunt for cheap shoes and the things people seem willing to wear. Bright orange moccasins. For the love of the little sweet baby cheesus. Orange moccasins! Designer Crocs. I need drugs for my eyes! I'm not sure whether they're intended for young people or very mad old people. They have a physical concept store which I think is modern speak for a shop. Or digital touchpoints. Which I think is a website. I'm probably about to undertake a digital transaction experience. Maybe some kind of financial intimacy.

Anyway, I'm going to look the primo duds in those mocs. The red trousers will be stealthy in comparison. I think I understand why some people wear sunglasses indoors. They're going to need to.
Make sure your psychedelic moc crocs are spd compatible. You don't want to be be thought of as a young person who only rides flats, probably attached to a fixie.

ian

« Reply #1260 on: 03 November, 2022, 09:59:19 am »
It's all too horrific for me to post links. You can google, but honestly, I'd rather have Rogerzilla's entire browser history than have that in there. Australia, I think, brought us Uggs too. It's the land of stupid footwear. Honestly, how long do we have the wait for the local wildlife to sort out the 'Australian problem.'

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1261 on: 03 November, 2022, 10:38:42 am »
I think the climate will do for Captain Cook's Mistake long before the wildlife.  And then it’ll be be “Bloody Australians, comin' over 'ere!  With your two hundred words for being sick!”
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #1262 on: 03 November, 2022, 11:27:35 am »
Indeed, in a decade or two, they'll be clamouring to be let into Indonesia. Not in those shoes, and by the way, we have a spare and very remote island over there. Here's your tent, mate.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1263 on: 03 November, 2022, 11:30:55 am »
Are slag wellies Uggs still a thing?  I think I last saw some 4 years ago in Cirencester.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1264 on: 03 November, 2022, 12:40:29 pm »
Are slag wellies Uggs still a thing?  I think I last saw some 4 years ago in Cirencester.
Aggs in Uggs?

ian

« Reply #1265 on: 03 November, 2022, 01:22:47 pm »
No idea. They seems absurdly impractical footwear. First experience of rain and it looks like you've got elephantiasis. Basically boots that don't, erm, serve the purpose of boots.

Still, Crocs with heels.

I'm not authority on fashion, however. Which makes me feel better about myself.

« Reply #1266 on: 07 November, 2022, 08:50:41 am »
Things start hurting for no apparent reason.  In this instance my right knee has decided to inflict occasional stabs of pain on me, even when it's at rest. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1267 on: 10 November, 2022, 11:51:17 pm »
When you realise the socks you're wearing are older than the schoolkids you're sharing the train carriage with.

rr

« Reply #1268 on: 11 November, 2022, 12:00:13 am »
No idea. They seems absurdly impractical footwear. First experience of rain and it looks like you've got elephantiasis. Basically boots that don't, erm, serve the purpose of boots.

Still, Crocs with heels.

I'm not authority on fashion, however. Which makes me feel better about myself.
Mini has a pair of white, platform Crocs

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1269 on: 11 November, 2022, 08:38:05 am »
Things start hurting for no apparent reason.  In this instance my right knee has decided to inflict occasional stabs of pain on me, even when it's at rest.

Wait until it's your left arm.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1270 on: 11 November, 2022, 10:37:58 am »

Wait until it's your left arm.

Mine's done that for my entire life. If I get chest pain of any description, for any reason (heavy coughing, out of breath, eat something too hot, hit by a football, violent sneeze - anything at all) then my left arm hurts. Always has. Horrible pain; not really severe, just...nasty, somehow.

Referred down a nerve, I suspect.

Chuff knows how I'll know if I ever do have a coronary.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1271 on: 11 November, 2022, 10:47:55 am »
Chuff knows how I'll know if I ever do have a coronary.

They can hurt in various places, not necessarily the left arm. Some hurt like hell and some don't hurt at all.  Once I got past 55 my doc started sending me for a stress test every two years: fortunately it didn't turn up an incipient coronary until after PBP 2007 and they fixed it PDQ.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1272 on: 13 November, 2022, 01:42:44 am »
You look forward - for about a week - to defrosting the freezer.

Then you enjoy defrosting the freezer.

« Reply #1273 on: 13 November, 2022, 08:37:40 am »
You look forward - for about a week - to defrosting the freezer.

Then you enjoy defrosting the freezer.
And have a warm glow of satisfaction when it's done?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1274 on: 13 November, 2022, 09:14:49 am »
Ok, it's not exactly middle aged, but when you receive a letter telling you it's time to renew your driving licence.
There's no vibrations, but wait.