Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 390995 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #100 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:43:19 am »
It also makes a bigger difference if you are using an inkjet to print, rather than a laser. The paper may still be in one piece, but it's not a lot of use if there is no longer any writing on it!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #101 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:55:32 am »
all the effort that people put in with lamination could well be misplaced

Laminating is fun!

it's my glue sniffing substitute ;D

« Reply #102 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:10:29 pm »
What are the time limits for each distance? I don't seem to be able to find a simple list  ???

« Reply #103 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »
What are the time limits for each distance? I don't seem to be able to find a simple list  ???

Mostly between 15kph and 30 kph average speed, although the minimum goes down to 12 kph for 'Populaire' events (these are denoted by BP rather than BR/BRM). you should find it next to each event in the Audax UK calendar on the website.

It effectively means that you have between 6.7 and 13.3 hours to do a 200k, although if the event is over distance (e.g. 215km) you can get a little bit of extra time.

« Reply #104 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:39:01 pm »
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #105 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:48:57 am »
What are the time limits for each distance? I don't seem to be able to find a simple list  ???

Mostly between 15kph and 30 kph average speed, although the minimum goes down to 12 kph for 'Populaire' events (these are denoted by BP rather than BR/BRM). you should find it next to each event in the Audax UK calendar on the website.

It effectively means that you have between 6.7 and 13.3 hours to do a 200k, although if the event is over distance (e.g. 215km) you can get a little bit of extra time.

Maximum average speed is usually 30kph although organisers are free to pick a lower average speed if they want (some set it at 25kph to reduce the time they have to have the later controls open for) although they only tend to do this for very hilly events as the fast riders will be ahead of this.

Minimum average speeds:-

For BRM rides:-

Between 200km and 699km it's 15kph.
700km to 1299km it's 13.3kph
1300km to 1899km it's 12kph
1900km to 2499km it's 10kph
From 2500km onwards it is 200km per day.

Time limits for a BRM 200 are fixed at 13h30. A BRM 400 has a fixed 27 hour time limit.

No extra time is given on a BRM ride for any over-distance part.

BRM rides should not be excessively overdistance, I think it's 10% although this has been ignored (there was a 225km BRM 200 ride in the calendar last year).

For BR rides:-

Same as above except the organiser can pick a minimum average speed for an event between 200km and 699km to be anything between 14.3kph and 15kph.

With BR rides some of the over-distance part can count for extra time. The extra time should be calculated against the minimum distance between controls and not the routesheet distance.

So a 200km Audax that is billed as 213km (on the calendar/routesheet) but has 208km shortest distance between controls could have time limits of:-

13h30 if the ride is BRM. Note that it is not 200/15 = 13h20 since the time limit for a BRM 200 is set at 13h30 by the regulations.

BR rides:-

13h20 if the organiser uses the 200km base distance and applies the 15kph minimum average speed. They shouldn't really do this, but many do.
13h59 if the organiser uses the 200km base distance and applies the 14.3kph minimum average speed. Some do this.

13h52 if the organiser uses the 208km shortest distance and 15kph.
14h32 if the organiser uses the 208km shortest distance and 14.3kph.

14h12 if the organiser uses the 213km routesheet distance and 15kph. They shouldn't use the routesheet distance though, unless it is very close to the shortest distance.
14h53 if the organiser uses the 213km routesheet distance and 14.3kph. They shouldn't use the routesheet distance though, unless it is very close to the shortest distance.

The shortest distance between controls isn't usually published anywhere, which is why the timings in the Brevet card don't always match up with what is expected. Some organisers do adjust the control distances to the minimum distances when setting up the content of the Brevet card. I don't have my stash of Brevet cards to hand to go find one. You'll notice this as the distances on the Brevet card don't match the control distances on the routesheet.

It all depends on what the organiser puts in the relevant boxes when creating the event.

Populaires:-

There's no official minimum speed for Brevet Populaires (all rides under 200km and a few rides over 200km). It's up to the organiser to pick a suitable minimum average speed that fits with their controls and plans for the day. Most calendar entries have a minimum average speed between 10kph and 15kph.

DIY populaires used to be 8.3kph minimum average speed.

The 1300km Populaire version of LEJOG/JOGLE has a minimum average speed of just 3kph.

The 1400km BR version of LEJOG/JOGLE has a minimum average speed of 12kph (in line with the guidelines above).

All of that and then I find this: AUDAX Max and Min speed
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #106 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:51:43 am »
And to answer the original question:-

What are the time limits for each distance? I don't seem to be able to find a simple list  ???

200km - 13h30 BRM
300km - 20h BRM
400km - 27h BRM
600km - 40h BRM
1000km - 75h BRM (possibly 75h11)
1200km - 90h BRM
1400km - 116h

BR rides you possibly get a bit extra for the lower minimum average speed and over-distance bits.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #107 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:34:29 am »
GB you might have just scared the guy off Audax for life that is so complicated  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #108 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »
GB you might have just scared the guy off Audax for life that is so complicated  ;D
;D

Of course in practice it's not an issue:
If you're planning your weekend, just use 14.5kph to give you a ballpark finish time.
Then at the start, your Brevet Card will have the exact times on.

All of that and then I find this: AUDAX Max and Min speed
Well I was going to post that it's in the FAQ, but I know how much people enjoy explaining this stuff so I kept quiet ... ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #109 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:25:03 pm »
And to answer the original question:-

200km - 13h30 BRM
300km - 20h BRM
400km - 27h BRM
600km - 40h BRM
1000km - 75h BRM (possibly 75h11)
1200km - 90h BRM
1400km - 116h

BR rides you possibly get a bit extra for the lower minimum average speed and over-distance bits.

That's the badger I was after! sorry I wasn't very clear.

Cheers.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #110 on: 13 May, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »

Especially as it's not that complicated in reality.

BR event time limits are calculated from the actual on the road distance. Minimum distance between controls doesn't come into it.

Where you've got discrepancies between route sheet and brevet card it's basically because the organiser hasn't set it up properly when entering the event in the planner.

« Reply #111 on: 18 May, 2011, 04:57:28 pm »
So if you don't have a GPS thingy, what are the quality of directions like?

I am a newbie to Audax I dont have a GPS so far I have done 5 rides and some routecards are better than others but all have got me around the course, only once did I really need to check the map.(page ripped ouit of cheap road atlas)

You need to follow each instruction on the card , if you just follow a group thenn end up on your own again its hard to know where you are on the list of instructions.

I rewrite them in larger print and laminate them in plastic.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #112 on: 19 May, 2011, 11:56:28 pm »
How am I supposed to road-test a new light AND bank some sleep for the weekend's 400k? Hmmm?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #113 on: 19 May, 2011, 11:59:26 pm »
How am I supposed to road-test a new light AND bank some sleep for the weekend's 400k? Hmmm?

Get someone else to go out there and ride it in the dark for you while you sleep  ;D

« Reply #114 on: 20 May, 2011, 12:36:45 am »
As an aside - since I was headscratching over what BR and BRM meant - there's some info on both here:
http://www.cambridge-cycling-club.org.uk/pdfs/audax_virgin_part1.pdf

(I daresay it may be elsewhere but it wasn't exactly at the forefront of any google searches..)

One - probably very silly-question...recently I was looking at surrey events (since being effectively carless - mostly by choice  - which means getting anywhere else for a start time probably isn't gonna happen), then realised they were either within a week, or some way off.
I do realise organisers need time to get ..eer..organised, but do they tend to be *very* strict on attempted late entries ? (eg on a 2 week cutoff). It could, of course, vary with organisers, I guess...

« Reply #115 on: 20 May, 2011, 12:40:55 am »
As an aside - since I was headscratching over what BR and BRM meant - there's some info on both here:
http://www.cambridge-cycling-club.org.uk/pdfs/audax_virgin_part1.pdf

(I daresay it may be elsewhere but it wasn't exactly at the forefront of any google searches..)

One - probably very silly-question...recently I was looking at surrey events (since being effectively carless - mostly by choice  - which means getting anywhere else for a start time probably isn't gonna happen), then realised they were either within a week, or some way off.
I do realise organisers need time to get ..eer..organised, but do they tend to be *very* strict on attempted late entries ? (eg on a 2 week cutoff). It could, of course, vary with organisers, I guess...

Varies loads between events. Best to contact the organiser and ask them. if they allow Paypal entry and they haven't closed the ride on the AUK site to entries then you are probably OK.
There's a few upcoming 600k's that are full because of PBP and have been for months though.

« Reply #116 on: 20 May, 2011, 01:41:08 am »
Thanks for that - I think I'll just have to keep an eye out.

I only really thought (again) about doing audax after a few recent FNTTC trips - I'm fine running for a fair while on very little sleep, but it's the catching up on it which seems to roger me :(

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #117 on: 30 May, 2011, 05:11:42 pm »
A different question.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get a control in Yalding (Kent), particularly on Sundays?  Any suggestions (I'll probably be starting a ride from there at around 8am and probably finishing 8pm ish plus or minus an hour).

Billy, you've probably had the answer already but, if not, Yalding station - Permit to travel.
There is a Costcutter but not sure about the hours

Andy
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

Billy Weir

« Reply #118 on: 30 May, 2011, 07:17:45 pm »
Thanks.

As it turns out, I was able to track in on the GPS as a DIY.  But passing through Yalding on a Sunday did hint that getting there after 4pm would require a wee bit of ingenuity.  The pub looked promising though.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #119 on: 21 June, 2011, 12:51:06 pm »
Is it possible to get club points from pre 2008 as I would like to see who has the most points recorded for Tamworth CC.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #120 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:59:31 pm »
Minimum average speeds:-

For BRM rides:-

Between 200km and 699km it's 15kph.
700km to 1299km it's 13.3kph
1300km to 1899km it's 12kph
1900km to 2499km it's 10kph
From 2500km onwards it is 200km per day.

I went out on my bike on Sunday for about two hours and I was on the easiest gear and the easiest chainring and my cadence was around 90. My average speed was 18.6kph. If I were to do that on PBP would I get round easily? Think about Lance Armstrong (albeit I am not in his league) before you give your considered opinion!
O'LEL what have I done!

Billy Weir

« Reply #121 on: 12 July, 2011, 07:58:26 am »
Not sure what you are asking BB.  A better indicator of how easily (or otherwise) you'll get around any event is to look at your next longest ride.  If you've qualified for PBP, you will have done a 600 and this should give a good indicator.

It's impossible to extrapolate a 2 hour pootle into a 100 hour ride, as the demands on body and mind are so much different.  Assuming you maintain the same pace across the ride, however, you'd have roughly 23 hours to spend off the bike.  How easy it is to get around PBP with that "cushion" depends on how much of a faffer you are at controls and how much sleep you are prepared to get by on.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #122 on: 18 July, 2011, 12:07:20 am »
I never did PBP because I reckoned I was too slow. I scraped round flatter brevets fairly close to time and took 74¾ hours for a 1000km brevet.
I reckon you ought to be able to do a rolling 600 in 37 hours to have a chance.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #123 on: 18 July, 2011, 12:24:45 pm »
BB
I reckon that you need to do at least evens km/hr ave road speed as a minimum.
But you were in bottom gear so I think you might be going at more than 18.8km/h in a higher gear.
It is one of the factors you need to consider the others being sleep/troughing time etc.
A difficult balance of what works for you of road speed & resting time.

If its any consolation I think I was on the same ride as you when you completed an RTYRA and you were miles up the road from me towards the end of the ride so you should be Ok.
(I was on a red tandem).
Just remember not to waste any time - at least not until you come back from Brest.
Get to Brest comfortably and well within the 40 hours and just enjoy the return leg & the extra 10 hours you get to sleep & faff.
I'll be doing the same!!

« Reply #124 on: 19 July, 2011, 01:21:11 pm »
A “grey hair” suggested as a strategy to treat the event as 3 - 400`s.
O'LEL what have I done!