Author Topic: Can you run Etrex30 from external battery?  (Read 1532 times)

Can you run Etrex30 from external battery?
« on: 17 September, 2014, 08:02:41 pm »
Can the Etrex30 be run from an external battery pack?  I was thinking of the sort of device used for mobile phone emergency power back-up.

Bryn

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Can you run Etrex30 from external battery?
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2014, 08:07:02 pm »
Yes.  It won't charge the battery, and will moan at you when power is removed, but will work.

TQ

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2014, 10:54:58 am »
This might be a stupid question but why would you want to?

It it not easier to just keep a spare set of AA batteries with you and change them when they get flat? I've not tested mine but I've heard tales of 25+ hours from a decent set of AAs.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2014, 11:50:14 am »

It it not easier to just keep a spare set of AA batteries with you and change them when they get flat? I've not tested mine but I've heard tales of 25+ hours from a decent set of AAs.

+1, makes about as much sense as using a dynamo to charge a battery to then power a light. some folk are just determined to do things arse about face...

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »

++1 (incremenent 1??)

I use Lithium batts from Asda (other supermarkets are available), at £7 for four. A pair last ~60 hours in mine, with a mixture of no and some back light use.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2014, 12:45:10 pm »

It would make some sense if you had dynamo (or indeed car alternator) power available, but I agree that running from a cache battery seems odd when at least half the point in the eTrex is that it runs on standard, easily swappable, AAs without worrying about waterproofing the connections.

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2014, 12:46:23 pm »

+1, makes about as much sense as using a dynamo to charge a battery to then power a light. some folk are just determined to do things arse about face...

About as much sense as charging a battery with a generator driven by a diesel engine, and then using the battery to power an electric motor to pull a train along.

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2014, 12:53:10 pm »
Garmin’s logic here is that the eTrex series are powered by a readily purchasable standard battery which can be found in any ‘one-horse-town’ general stores and livery stables.

Garmin’s logic with the Edge Series is they regard cyclists who ride for longer than fifteen hours in requirement of a sanity examination.

TomTom's logic is the life of their battery is one working shift for a motorcycle / bicycle courier.

« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2014, 06:37:51 pm »
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Why did I ask?  Technical curiosity mostly, noting my phone can be run through the mini/micro USB slot, so wondered if the Etrex could.  Didn't want to try it in case of blue smoke.

AA batts widely available - yeah, except in rural France on Mondays when absolutely everything is shut.  I was carrying a steadily diminishing supply of duracells on tour, and was musing about whether a phone back-up pack would do in an emergency.

I was already carrying a phone charger and camera charger, so would not chose to carry an AA charger as well.

USB chargers are becoming ubiquitous - just saw an add from Ebuyer or Savastore for a twin 13A socket face plate with 2 USB charging sockets built in.  You know it makes sense :)

Bryn

Euan Uzami

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2014, 09:10:44 am »
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Why did I ask?  Technical curiosity mostly, noting my phone can be run through the mini/micro USB slot, so wondered if the Etrex could.  Didn't want to try it in case of blue smoke.

AA batts widely available - yeah, except in rural France on Mondays when absolutely everything is shut.  I was carrying a steadily diminishing supply of duracells on tour, and was musing about whether a phone back-up pack would do in an emergency.

I was already carrying a phone charger and camera charger, so would not chose to carry an AA charger as well.
My strategy is always have a charged spare pair - either new, or charged rechargeables. If you use the spare pair, always always buy another spare pair at the first shop that sells them. That should keep you going at least 24 hours.

USB chargers are becoming ubiquitous - just saw an add from Ebuyer or Savastore for a twin 13A socket face plate with 2 USB charging sockets built in.  You know it makes sense :)

Bryn
:oreally?! - that's nice...

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »
Ditch the Duracells in favour of Lithium Batteries. They last x4 times as long in my experience.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/