Author Topic: Strava  (Read 25919 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Strava
« Reply #50 on: 10 May, 2015, 03:50:25 pm »
Ah, Phanta, you haven't had the Women's Tour through your area. They crisis-crossed our local roads  last year and thoroughly demolished both the men's and women's times. They'll be back this year to clean up the few they missed, excepting the roads that the TdF blitzed through in July! There's not much left for the keen club riders to fight over, male or female, at least on the faster roads.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 10 May, 2015, 04:36:02 pm »
Ah, Phanta, you haven't had the Women's Tour through your area.

Neither have I, and thanks to the proximity of Birmingham, it's unlikely to challenge the couple I hold that actually count for something (that is, R17 descents, rather than being the only woman stupid enough to do a particular section of COR, which seems to be how I achieve most of them).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 20 May, 2015, 01:59:52 pm »
I'm now collecting kudos on the ride between here and Mordor Central (and awesome 4.5km of mostly flat).  I've got some fettling to do, so might log a 0.5km test ride later.  I'm sure they'll be all over that....   :facepalm:

« Reply #53 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:40:20 pm »
I logged an (aborted!) ride of 0.8 miles last week and got kudos from various people. Well, it did have a whole 7 feet of climbing! :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:41:43 pm »
Test ride has acquired kudos as predicted, but since the test was successful it got extended to 8.6km

« Reply #55 on: 21 May, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »
Are you sure its not 'canned laughter' from some Strava virtual members?

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #56 on: 23 May, 2015, 07:44:26 am »
I turned on the strava app on my phone briefly yesterday to record my position as I was in a city (Ankang) I had no idea where it was so I could check it later on a map. I also used it in a taxi in Beijing last week, to record the route to a tat market so I could walk back to the hotel more easily without getting lost. In both cases I received kudos before I could flip the private switch.

« Reply #57 on: 23 May, 2015, 10:00:41 am »
The Flyby function is interesting to check who I've been meeting on the road (chatting with for a while during my ride).
Also after the horrific Rando Imperator to see how many others DNF'd (usually long before I did) so I felt less bad about my DNF.

« Reply #58 on: 04 June, 2015, 03:27:54 pm »
So for those who do like Strava - is there a YACF club? (Should I create one, if not?)

« Reply #59 on: 04 June, 2015, 04:15:30 pm »
There is one.. (rummages)

Here

« Reply #60 on: 04 June, 2015, 05:25:31 pm »
Ta! Joined :)

TimC

« Reply #61 on: 04 June, 2015, 08:43:14 pm »
So for those who do like Strava - is there a YACF club? (Should I create one, if not?)

It's full of people who do stellar mileages! Inspirational or depressing? Your call..!

« Reply #62 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:14:22 am »

It's full of people who do stellar mileages! Inspirational or depressing? Your call..!
Inspirational, for me. Won't ever be as good but if I can narrow the gap then I deserve a slap on the back.

TimC

« Reply #63 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:32:55 am »

Inspirational, for me. Won't ever be as good but if I can narrow the gap then I deserve a slap on the back.

Never say never. If the dark forces of Audax get ahold of you (and they will try...), you may soon find yourself doing those aforesaid stellar mileages! Several have been lost to this cult, maybe never to return to sanity and sedentarism.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #64 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:45:32 am »
There is one.. (rummages)

Here

I joined yesterday via fboab's link and I see that I'm top of last week's leaderboard by the smallest possible margin (887.3 v HK's 887.2)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #65 on: 05 June, 2015, 06:55:29 pm »

Yeah, I never look at it because it's too depressing. People who do more in a week than I do in six months, and stuff like that. :-\

« Reply #66 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:54:01 pm »
Just wait for a certain week in august.

« Reply #67 on: 17 June, 2015, 10:54:56 pm »
Quite like Strava as a record.  I don't pay much attention to the 'segmentation' - though did notice tonight that I had an unintentional "PR" of ~45/1400 people on t'leaderboard, on one stretch while taking the rare scenic route home from work.  :)   Flyby function is pretty good.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 23 June, 2015, 09:20:20 pm »
Strava Flyby has usefully solved the mystery of how I did so badly on the York Rally 100.  It seems that yes, I am just slower than everyone else, and that I wasted far too much time at Malton.

TimC

« Reply #69 on: 03 August, 2015, 05:37:57 pm »
Strava segments on Garmin: this update has reached me, and although I thought I'd be unmoved, I have to say it was rather entertaining on my ride yesterday - on quiet roads, no traffic and few other cyclists. Getting a count down to the segment, a big 'GO' on the display when I reached the start, and a continual reference to my previous PR to tell me whether I was ahead of it or falling behind. Good fun!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 03 August, 2015, 06:10:56 pm »
I'm not impressed with the Android app's use of the 'play' icon to mean "record" and the 'stop' icon to mean "pause".

Was it designed by someone too young to have used a tape recorder?

« Reply #71 on: 03 August, 2015, 06:13:33 pm »
That confused me too! It only changed a couple of weeks ago. It used to be proper record and pause icons...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 03 August, 2015, 06:35:58 pm »
IIRC it used to be proper record, and stop for pause, with a chequered flag for 'stop'.  Maybe there was a proper pause icon before that - I've only recently been using the app.

The idea is presumably that you're optionally playing back a route at the same time as recording your track (I won't suggest that pressing play and record at the same time is the right metaphor here), but if you're using it without any navigation 'play' is just confusing.

Using 'stop' to mean pause is just wrong, IMHO.  'Stop' implies that the next recording will be a separate track.

simonp

« Reply #73 on: 04 August, 2015, 12:57:24 pm »
Strava segments on Garmin: this update has reached me, and although I thought I'd be unmoved, I have to say it was rather entertaining on my ride yesterday - on quiet roads, no traffic and few other cyclists. Getting a count down to the segment, a big 'GO' on the display when I reached the start, and a continual reference to my previous PR to tell me whether I was ahead of it or falling behind. Good fun!

How does it work for overlapping segments? Does it pick the first one it started?

TimC

« Reply #74 on: 04 August, 2015, 06:07:35 pm »

How does it work for overlapping segments? Does it pick the first one it started?

Um, dunno! It doesn't register all segments, just those you've made favourites, those you've set up goals on, and (if you select the option) a selection of 'popular' ones in your area. I haven't seen any on it that overlap. It will display where they are on the map, if you have that function on your device. I've only done one ride with them active; I was hoping to do another today but ran out of time and motivation. I may do one tomorrow, in which case I'll report further...