Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 67624 times)

AK

• Bloggy blog
Re: London-Wales-London
« Reply #275 on: 04 May, 2018, 01:56:24 pm »
I’ve put a bar bag on, which I didn’t use for my 300. Trying to decide whether I really need it. Decisions, decisions.

I've got an almost full 7 litre saddle bag. Might try and lose it in the Travelodge tonight. Do I *really* need an extra base layer??  ???

I’ve got warm clothing in my saddle bag in case I need it at night. I’m pretty sure that I’ve got too much, but as I’m new to this audax lark, I think at the moment I’d rather have too much; work out what I don’t need over time and then pare it down in the future.
My experience is that the night is always colder than the numbers say... temperatures are typically quoted for towns and cities... I suspect at 2 AM in the countryside it will be something around 6-7 degrees... no wind helps, but still cold. I will bring a Gabba jacket... hopefully it won't be needed, but it's good to have it there

« Reply #276 on: 04 May, 2018, 03:21:06 pm »

I’ve got warm clothing in my saddle bag in case I need it at night. I’m pretty sure that I’ve got too much, but as I’m new to this audax lark, I think at the moment I’d rather have too much; work out what I don’t need over time and then pare it down in the future.

My experience is that the night is always colder than the numbers say... temperatures are typically quoted for towns and cities... I suspect at 2 AM in the countryside it will be something around 6-7 degrees... no wind helps, but still cold. I will bring a Gabba jacket... hopefully it won't be needed, but it's good to have it there

The Chilterns in particular are generally a few degrees colder than their surroundings, so an extra layer is probably prudent if you're crossing them long after the sun's gone down, no matter how warm it gets during the day. It generally gets warmer again from around Henley.

Depends how much you feel the cold - for some that will mean a lightweight windproof jacket, for others something more substantial.

« Reply #277 on: 04 May, 2018, 04:08:20 pm »
The forecast is clear skies and slight winds well into Saturday night. There may well be a temperature inversion which can make the valley bottoms very cold, almost freezing, while it's quite pleasant on the hilltops.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #278 on: 04 May, 2018, 05:16:13 pm »
Looks like is going to be a great day out!

I take the opportunity to warn everybody about the descent into Winchcombe (km 123). It is very steep and with poor road surface, so don't get carried away with the speed... the surface only becomes worse towards the bottom, where it's less steep, so even there, keep speed under control

And its not unknown for there to be vehicles coming the other way, so whilst its tempting to make a big swooping R&T as you descend it's probably best not to.

Going down there last year I was stuck behind some cars which was a kind of blessing as it removed the temptation to go too fast, though there was a distinct burning smell coming from my brakes by the bottom.

On the subject of warnings, here's another one: don't leave your bikes unlocked outside controls - though I'm sure Liam has covered that one already.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #279 on: 04 May, 2018, 05:18:26 pm »
Looks like is going to be a great day out!

I take the opportunity to warn everybody about the descent into Winchcombe (km 123). It is very steep and with poor road surface, so don't get carried away with the speed... the surface only becomes worse towards the bottom, where it's less steep, so even there, keep speed under control

And its not unknown for there to be vehicles coming the other way, so whilst its tempting to make a big swooping R&T as you descend it's probably best not to.

On the other hand once on the flat you will need to start gathering some momentum to make the rise to the High Street. Sigh.

Is that the one near Sudeley Castle? The last time I did this event (2015) a flat bed truck thing overtook me halfway down that descent as I went down at full tilt........I can remember it very clearly three years later, which gives an indication of how close he was.

Not sure if the "driver" was familiar with mime, but he would have been very impressed with the show in his rear view mirror - 

Have just changed my brake pads for tomorrow  ;D

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #280 on: 04 May, 2018, 07:05:36 pm »

Easiest way to look out for the potholes and gravel here is to note that it's where the water runs across the road, but the worst bit is well past the steep bit...
...and yes, it is the bit just before the Castle entrance
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #281 on: 05 May, 2018, 11:26:39 am »
So we had 119 on the road at 0600 and have only lost two by Woodstock (as they didn't call I'm assuming they didn't realise that it was a mandatory control and have flown through).

« Reply #282 on: 06 May, 2018, 01:43:30 am »
Big kudos to Liam and all the volunteers. Yes, the weather today was lovely but their work is so great that even in bad weather LWL is an event worth riding.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #283 on: 06 May, 2018, 08:34:36 am »
Thanks to Liam and all the volunteers for taking care of us.

A ride of two halves... fairly easy to Tewkesbury and then hard as a nail after... managed to get back 10 minutes before the pub shut at 11:50 PM, but they had already called the last order... buggers! :-[ :-[

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #284 on: 06 May, 2018, 10:50:29 am »
Thanks to Liam and all the volunteers for taking care of us.

A ride of two halves... fairly easy to Tewkesbury and then hard as a nail after... managed to get back 10 minutes before the pub shut at 11:50 PM, but they had already called the last order... buggers! :-[ :-[

That’s when I got in too. No way I was going to the pub and not eating the curry Dahl, which I basically inhaled. A fab day. Only had one real bad patch in the hour before the Tutshill control. With the ride in temperature I was drinking plenty, but stopped eating. Managed to get myself together at the control and refuel. Thanks to Liam and his crew. A brilliant event.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #285 on: 06 May, 2018, 11:50:23 am »
Couldn't have asked for a nicer ride for my first 400. Lovely weather, lovely people, fantastic organisation. That there was such a good vibe all day (&night) is testament to Liam and his team - massive thanks to one & all! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #286 on: 06 May, 2018, 05:27:07 pm »
So all dusted and accounted for.

It was a treat to be involved this year albeit through gritted teeth when I saw the weather - so unlike what IanOli and Manotea endured with me on assorted route checks!!!!

Big thanks to the growing army of volunteers who pitched in - in ways large and small to make it happen.  From people who did small and large route checks and pot hole spotting, to the two lads who helped flag riders into the Woodstock Control, from the folks who gave up their Saturday day and night to work the controls and to the two staff at the Woodstock Social club who fed over 100 riders in 45 minutes despite having had no sleep themselves!

And thanks to the riders who have made some suggestions of improvements for next year!

Participants will get the lost property schedule shortly...

Liam

« Reply #287 on: 06 May, 2018, 06:08:44 pm »
What a contrast in temperatures:
Cool to Woodstock
Warm to Tewkesbury
Hot though Forest of Dean and all the way to Malmesbury
Cold when sun went down (around RWB for me)
Freezing before Lambourn
By Henley I'd emptied the saddlebag and was wearing every layer I had !
Warmed at the arrivée with cheese toastie, the beans on toast, and the dahl, all of which were great,

« Reply #288 on: 07 May, 2018, 10:19:31 am »
That was my 3rd and best experience of London Wales London. What a stunning day for riding! A great route. While the roads were damaged in places it wasn’t too bad at all and mostly a smooth ride.

Some great scenery and how often is it that can ride near London for nearly 60km before you encounter the first red traffic light ?! Great to see a good number of women at the start today. Hopefully that number continues to grow. London Wales London is a great event for Peta McSharry’s initiative to get 2019 women at the start of Paris Brest Paris in 2019.

Big thanks to Liam and his team of helpers at all the checkpoints, thanks to Darren, Si and Rus for sharing such a great day in the saddle with me and big thanks to all fellow Audaxers who made kind and generous donations to my justgiving page set up to raise funds for Cancer Research UK as I will have another go at the LEJOG record in early July this year.

« Reply #289 on: 07 May, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
Huge hanks to Liam and his team. Had a fantastic ride. 

Just starting to approach normal as I didn’t get my feeding/hydration quite right. 

Thanks. A

« Reply #290 on: 07 May, 2018, 07:06:38 pm »
Brilliant day  :)

Organisation, helpers and weather all combined for a great day out.
The night time section was a bit of a slog as the temperatures dropped but a quick stop at McD's brought back my freezing feet. Was definitely flagging at the end as my lack of distance riding came back to bite me, but made it to the end for the usual friendly welcome.

Thanks to everyone involved  :thumbsup:

« Reply #291 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:22:22 pm »
Like others have said, thanks to all the organisers and helpers, a great route. Liam, please put a control on the Somerset monument, that way the climbing will not feel quite that gratuitous   :P.
I got so cold at Lambourne i thought about packing it in, but just about got to the arrive by using the A4 option.
Again, thanks for organising and getting lucky with the weather

« Reply #292 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:25:51 am »
please put a control on the Somerset monument, that way the climbing will not feel quite that gratuitous   :P.
The western aspect of the Cotswolds is steep everywhere !
Glad you made it to the end, enjoyed your company for some of the distance before Lambourn. 

« Reply #293 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:35:58 am »
Fantastic day.

Even the Range Rover brigade weren't too bad coming out of the horse event. I dont think I've ever had to make so may additional stops though. Rode with a bloke who was struggling for the last 100kms, nice to just to help a fellow rider along. 

whosatthewheel

« Reply #294 on: 08 May, 2018, 12:20:42 pm »
Fantastic day.

Even the Range Rover brigade weren't too bad coming out of the horse event. I dont think I've ever had to make so may additional stops though. Rode with a bloke who was struggling for the last 100kms, nice to just to help a fellow rider along.

I think a lot of people were fooled by the weather and went like trains, with over 20 people finishing ahead of Liam's expected fastest finishers.
4 hours in, I was still averaging over 30 km/h, following some fast wheels. As a result, the return leg turned out to be very hard.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #295 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:18:46 pm »

Even the Range Rover brigade weren't too bad coming out of the horse event.

If you ask me it's just cruel to make horses play racquet sports...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #296 on: 09 May, 2018, 08:33:33 am »
Route-wise, wouldn't it make sense to go clockwise rather than anticlockwise?
This way those dark, wooded rutted lanes would be tackled in day light and the  more open Oxfordshire/Bucks section with better visibility would be done at night.
I found those dark descents a bit unnerving, with poor visibility even with good lights

Obviously Tewkesbuty would be closing for business if placed at Km 260, but I am sure there are plenty of 24 h options around town.... or it might become a manned control.

Some minor benefits include the huge roundabout south of Swindon, no more need to go all the way around it mixing with motorway traffic, which also was quite unnerving for those of us getting there at "rush hour".

Thoughts?

« Reply #297 on: 09 May, 2018, 02:01:42 pm »
A ride of two halves... fairly easy to Tewkesbury and then hard as a nail after...
Surely it was a fair distance after Tewkesbury? There's a small up near Aston Crews, the rise up to Symonds Yat Rock is a bit of a gratuitous pull (to get the all important info). But then the rest down the Wye Valley is gentle.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #298 on: 09 May, 2018, 03:48:48 pm »
Route-wise, wouldn't it make sense to go clockwise rather than anticlockwise?
This way those dark, wooded rutted lanes would be tackled in day light and the  more open Oxfordshire/Bucks section with better visibility would be done at night.
I found those dark descents a bit unnerving, with poor visibility even with good lights

Obviously Tewkesbuty would be closing for business if placed at Km 260, but I am sure there are plenty of 24 h options around town.... or it might become a manned control.

Some minor benefits include the huge roundabout south of Swindon, no more need to go all the way around it mixing with motorway traffic, which also was quite unnerving for those of us getting there at "rush hour".

Thoughts?

Or alternate directions, like the Poor Student ?

But that roundabout - it has a continuous pavement, with suitably placed acccess ramps, on the right of the road, if you prefer to go the "wrong way round" and take the first exit instead of the fourth.  Benefits of reconnaisance / streetview.

« Reply #299 on: 10 May, 2018, 09:32:12 pm »
A couple of nice blogs here - https://londonwaleslondon.com/lwl17/