Author Topic: OS maps enshitification?  (Read 823 times)

OS maps enshitification?
« on: 25 March, 2024, 09:52:30 am »
Just opened the app today, now page of suggested routes to click out of. Marketing driod: I jus want to see a map!

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: OS maps enshitification?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2024, 09:57:24 am »
Just opened the app today, now page of suggested routes to click out of. Marketing driod: I jus want to see a map!
Yes, I noticed this the other day when I opened the app. I also wanted to use the augmented reality feature but it seems they’ve removed that.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2024, 10:04:29 am »
Just opened mine to check, and all seems normal. I don't think I've ever had augmented reality, though.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2024, 03:12:04 pm »
The developer is still wishing ma a 'Good Morning' it's 15:09 what sorta testing did you do, If any

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2024, 08:26:32 pm »
They've introduced a bug whereby there is duplicate saving of walked routes when using the Apple Watch app. If I start and and finish using the Watch, the saved route is uploaded to Activities twice. If I start with the watch, but finish with the iPhone - no duplicate. It would seem that both the Watch and the iPhone save their own version of the same route when the route is finished by the Watch. When I eventually found a contact (CustomerServices@os.uk), we went back and forwards, but it went quiet at their end after they'd used up the stock responses. I've also flagged a lot of poor and inconsistent UI issues, which I'm told will be 'flagged to our dev teams'.

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2024, 06:51:20 pm »
I hadn't realised the augmented reality part had been removed - it's nice but not essential. It was the same in Viewranger - I used it a few times, but it wasn't compelling enough to go back to. At least my jumbled mess of an opening page says 'Good evening' this evening ... scroll to the right to tap 'activities', taps to 'record an activity', tap again to 'start recording' and we're away ... call me old fashioned, but I expect a map app to open on a map with a red button to start recording.

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2024, 07:07:28 pm »
At least it seems that when you reopen the app it remembers which page you were on previously, so if maps... you go back into maps.   Augmented reality has gone, so I only got to see it once.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2024, 09:56:47 pm »
Yes, it does seem to remember the last used menu item, but if I leave/open in Maps, I still have to click away to the activities page to record. Not the end of the world, but shows a general lack of thought in the whole redesign.