Author Topic: Getting to Debden - what advice to give to overseas entrants?  (Read 8941 times)

JJ

Re: Getting to Debden - what advice to give to overseas entrants?
« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2022, 02:59:59 pm »
I hope they know that there's more than one Debden

« Reply #26 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:33:59 pm »
I'm considering using public transport to get to the start instead of driving, as it should make the homeward journey more pleasant.
Do we think there are likely to be large numbers of people trying to get trains from Liverpool street to Debden on the Sunday?

Always get a train to Waltham Cross if you don’t mind a 12km ride to/from start/finish.
This is the sort of thing I was considering, but didn't want to find 30 like minded cyclists being told there was not enough room on the train for so many bikes

I don’t think too many will be thinking of this option.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2022, 02:59:07 pm »
Tip: If you're considering riding to the start, think also about how you might get back with your drop bag contents added to your load (if you are not making use of the service to have them posted back to you)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #28 on: 22 July, 2022, 04:41:07 pm »
Do you guys have any tips for overseas riders entering the UK at Harwich? I'll probably cycle to Debden, but on the way back I would rather take a train. Cycling to Romford and taking a train in the direction of Colchester is the best option I can find. Or is there something which requires less cycling/has better train services?

« Reply #29 on: 22 July, 2022, 05:11:15 pm »
Do you guys have any tips for overseas riders entering the UK at Harwich? I'll probably cycle to Debden, but on the way back I would rather take a train. Cycling to Romford and taking a train in the direction of Colchester is the best option I can find. Or is there something which requires less cycling/has better train services?

For less cycling, getting the central line into Stratford, and then out on the Colchester line would be an option.

For slightly more cycling, but with much better route options, you could head across to Shenfield. Getting to Romford, you’d probably be on the A1112, which isn’t that nice. Can be busy, and has a ‘big’ climb past Hainault Forest. A more countryside route can be taken to Shenfield from Loughton.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #30 on: 22 July, 2022, 05:23:32 pm »

For less cycling, getting the central line into Stratford, and then out on the Colchester line would be an option.

For slightly more cycling, but with much better route options, you could head across to Shenfield. Getting to Romford, you’d probably be on the A1112, which isn’t that nice. Can be busy, and has a ‘big’ climb past Hainault Forest. A more countryside route can be taken to Shenfield from Loughton.

Thanks! For clarification, central line means getting the underground from Debden to Stratford?

« Reply #31 on: 22 July, 2022, 08:04:01 pm »

Thanks! For clarification, central line means getting the underground from Debden to Stratford?

Yes, that’s right.

According to the following link, the map shows you can only take the bike as far as Leyton, so in theory you’d need to cycle the one stop from there to Stratford. However, I wouldn’t have thought there would be any issues arising if you ‘forgot’ to get off at Leyton.

https://lcc.org.uk/advice/taking-your-bike-on-the-tube/

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #32 on: 22 July, 2022, 08:52:25 pm »
I've often taken my bike and "forgotten" to get off the central line when traveling from the Epping end and had no issue staying on until Stratford
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #33 on: 25 July, 2022, 09:30:19 am »
Tip: If you're considering riding to the start, think also about how you might get back with your drop bag contents added to your load (if you are not making use of the service to have them posted back to you)

This has confused me, if I can ride my drop bags to the start, I can ride them back from the finish.
Or have I missed some information that tells me to arrive with my drop bag contents at registration on the saturday

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #34 on: 25 July, 2022, 10:17:46 am »
You have missed some information that tells you to arrive with your drop bag contents at registration on the Saturday.

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/how-do-bag-drops-work

This info was also repeated in an email last week.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #35 on: 25 July, 2022, 10:30:06 am »
Yes, so you might ride or take the tube and walk from your accomodation with your drop bag contents in e.g. a rucsac or (otherwise empty) seat pack on Saturday.

If you then ride to the start on Sunday, you might not have an empty seat pack or a rucsac with you when you finish.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #36 on: 25 July, 2022, 12:37:29 pm »
If you then ride to the start on Sunday, you might not have an empty seat pack or a rucsac with you when you finish.

If I remember correctly, Danial mentioned somewhere that you can leave a piece of luggage at the start, at your own risks of course. If this is correct, you can ride to the start on Sunday with an empty rucsac, leave it during the ride, and use it afterward.

A

« Reply #37 on: 25 July, 2022, 01:05:25 pm »
I did so the other direction and will do so this time: Taking the train from Harwich to Romford and cycle to the registration. It is the nearest station and avoids changing in London.

On the way back: The boat train from London to Harwich calls at Romford (07:02 AM) and does not need any changing at all.