Author Topic: Remembering Damon  (Read 3529 times)

Remembering Damon
« on: 27 June, 2022, 10:43:59 pm »
Like many on here ,I was immensely saddened by the death of Damon Peacock last year.
  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=119610.msg2633802#msg2633802   

One of the funniest moments of LEL 2017 for me occurred on the return leg.
Leaving Alston , a hatchback car came past me with Damon sitting in the boot , with the door open, filming riders slogging uphill.
Damon and I chatted  about sheep , hill farming and cycling. After a few minutes he was off and I didn't see him again.
I last saw Damon and Heather somewhere in France , in the middle of the night, not filming , just watching and supporting PBP riders.

If you  get to Yad Moss, pause and think of Damon.
If you watch this, I will guarantee that "Keeping the dream alive " will be in the background.
It was Damon's tribute to some AUKs who are no longer with us . Damon appears in the last few minutes.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAj4Qkkmjg

Re: Remembering Damon
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:45:56 pm »
I'm not doing LEL this time but I did go over Yad Moss a couple of weeks ago as I do every year on my way to Scotland, and I again thought of Damon as I passed the white building he so effectively filmed riders against.

I also met him in France - in 2011, looking for the motel the day before PBP.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:09:11 am »
In the clip to which madcow has linked, the late John Radford is featured.  Damon also filmed John's memorial service at Helm.  I feel sort of proud to have been filmed by one great man on my way to pay my respects to another.  I rode with John on several occasions and with Damon on my first North-West Passage.  I'm in red at  0.07 secs., climbing up the Huddersfield Road from Milnrow.

John and Damon, you are much missed, as is Don Black, one of whose Audaxes was my first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqENT0MIoOA

felstedrider

« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2022, 08:25:14 am »
I rode over Yad Moss at the end of Deano's 600 a few weeks back.   I was reminded of Damon then as he filmed us from the back of the car and the roadside on the National 400 in 2014.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2022, 10:50:14 am »
What a timely reminder of the development of our deeper interest in the Long Distance stuff. I might have attempted my last LEL this week (definitely opting out of future PBPs after 5 good) and can only be grateful the organisers pulled me out at St Ives (victim of declared CV19). I salvaged a Perm 200!

I met Damon several times on his LEL/PBP cine exploits and can now marvel at his talent and serious insight into the minds of the ultra-cyclist. Also came across John R several times, a man with a strong pride and attitude, which may have been instrumental in his demise?

Times to remember.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2022, 11:39:17 am »
I met Damon filming on my first 200, which was a qualifier for my first PBP. I came to believe that having a crazy big guy on a bike with a video camera was the norm for audax. We became good riding friends. My eyes are filling just now writing this.

Sadly missed.

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2022, 11:43:40 am »
Just as I posted the above I see that the views on the board is registering 666. Damon always made a big play on his name and even managed to get a phone number ending in 666 (I think his sister worked with the phone company).