Author Topic: LEL weather  (Read 10720 times)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: LEL weather
« Reply #50 on: 15 August, 2022, 11:01:30 pm »
That fleece sweater is a mid layer, it's very thin "gridlock" fleece.

Warm riding: A mesh base layer gilet+ merino jersey
Regular riding: as above + hi-viz gilet
Getting cold: add arm + knee warmers + full gloves and toe- or shoe covers
Colder still: Gore Shakedry jacket under hi-viz
add exhaustion and/or cold ground mist and that fleece mid layer may come into play.

Winter riding is a little different as you then start differently (ie with a Gabba long-sleeve like jersey )

IMO it's impractical to remove a layer every time you go up a 20m hill and then add it again when going down. When it's a longish climb like Yad Moss or its diversion then sure, but otherwise just zipping open as many layers as needed should suffice.

« Reply #51 on: 16 August, 2022, 08:14:05 am »

IMO it's impractical to remove a layer every time you go up a 20m hill and then add it again when going down.

Which is where the traditional adding and removing multiple layers approach which comes from mountaineering falls down for cycling.  You end up too hot, the multiple layers makes it harder for water vapour to escape (especially if waterproof on top), humidity builds up in the layers to the point of where the air within can’t hold it, it condenses back into liquid, the layers get wet, thermal conductivity increases by an order of magnitude, you get cold despite all the layers.

Fewer multi purpose layers (soft shell) that trap warm air and create a micro climate within, work over a wider range of temperatures and have venting options to prevent overheating uphill, then chilling downhill are much more effective for staying warm and dry on the bike. I don’t mean things like laminates such as wind stopper, they are not breathable enough and work over a narrow range of temps, but more the vapourise type soft shell, which are windshell with a thin fast wicking fleece liner.

Andy sums up soft shell well

https://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/cut_the_crap1

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #52 on: 16 August, 2022, 11:40:59 am »
I agree.

The trouble is that last week it was 30+ degrees in the day and 5 (?) degrees with added fog-chill in the night. I have a large Berthoud randonneur bag up front, but even that won't hold the "optimal" set of clothes.

I am quite amazed by the Gore Shakedry jacket. It is bloody expensive (I paid 210 euro for the "C5 viz", on sale), but it is the first rain jacket I don't mind wearing as a wind blocker as I don't feel clammy in it even when riding near my normal effort levels. Mind you, I'm a randonneur, not a racer going after KOMs  ;)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #53 on: 16 August, 2022, 01:32:46 pm »
I agree.

The trouble is that last week it was 30+ degrees in the day and 5 (?) degrees with added fog-chill in the night. I have a large Berthoud randonneur bag up front, but even that won't hold the "optimal" set of clothes.

I am quite amazed by the Gore Shakedry jacket. It is bloody expensive (I paid 210 euro for the "C5 viz", on sale), but it is the first rain jacket I don't mind wearing as a wind blocker as I don't feel clammy in it even when riding near my normal effort levels. Mind you, I'm a randonneur, not a racer going after KOMs  ;)

lowest my Garmin recorded was 6C over the Pennines, (9C approaching Innerleithin) highest was 37 somewhere near Great Easton.
Most I wore was jersey, shakedry, pbp gilet shorts and knee warmers. was pretty cold descending to Alston.

Eddington  127miles, 170km