Author Topic: COVID-19 after LEL  (Read 7464 times)

Notfromrugby

Re: COVID-19 after LEL
« Reply #25 on: 16 August, 2022, 09:15:24 am »
I would advise against riding AT ALL if testing positive, let alone riding a DIY 200.
I think that is an overkill statement now for a well trained rider doing an aerobic 200km ride. The risk of serious complications is probably less than an accident on the 200 in a double/triple vaccinated person. We really have moved on significantly in the risk ratios compared to even a year ago.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, there's more to covid than serious complications.

Far better to rest, which will hopefully help you recover more quickly, and do your DIY in a couple of weeks time when you're in a state to enjoy it and not infectious, IMHO.
Actually I think there is far less to Covid. Thousands of people have had covid without realising. Thousands have worked through covid  as they had to. I can guarantee that 50% of “long Covid” is nothing of the sort but more likely psychological relating to the ongoing mass hysteria.
Yes, you cannot ride a mass start event with covid. But doing a solo 200 with a mild head cold? No problem and no more risk of serious long term complications than after any winter sniffle.

I wouldn't ride a 200 with a cold that would be daft. Some people do, they are not the smartest tools in the shed, as far as I am concerned. You can seriously harm yourself by doing so and bear the consequences for months. Plenty of accounts of folks who didn't let the virus do its course and then couldn't get back to their fitness level for months afterwards. Rest for a week or more, it's not a big deal and your body will be grateful.
I would leave the comments about long Covid to the experts rather than to how you feel about it... not sure how you "can guarantee", what guarantee are you offering? Your money back if turns out you are wrong?

« Reply #26 on: 16 August, 2022, 09:21:26 am »
40 years running the largest hand surgery service in the UK, one of the top 5 in Europe and the benefit of seeing the influence of the psychology on physical symptoms.  I was being conservative with my 50%!  I routinely lecture and teach on the influence of confirmation and ascertainment bias in the medical field, the benefits of exercise in health, etc.

As it happened I did have longer symptoms and knew that I lost a lot of fitness but I still rode a solo 200km and then a couple of 100kms as I was in the middle of Europe when I got it!

Notfromrugby

« Reply #27 on: 16 August, 2022, 09:43:11 am »
40 years running the largest hand surgery service in the UK, one of the top 5 in Europe and the benefit of seeing the influence of the psychology on physical symptoms.  I was being conservative with my 50%!  I routinely lecture and teach on the influence of confirmation and ascertainment bias in the medical field, the benefits of exercise in health, etc.

As it happened I did have longer symptoms and knew that I lost a lot of fitness but I still rode a solo 200km and then a couple of 100kms as I was in the middle of Europe when I got it!

That makes it a lot worse, as some people might even think that a hand surgeon's endorsement means it is a good idea.
The way you feel one morning is not necessarily the way you will feel 6 hours and 150 km later, far from home and possibly having to rely on public transport to get back and in doing so endangering other people.
It is an utterly stupid idea to ride that far whilst ill. There are far better ways to stay healthy and do exercise during a bout of Covid.
Also, in most of continental Europe, you still have to self isolate if positive. I hope you didn't break the law!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #28 on: 16 August, 2022, 03:17:00 pm »
Certainly a bold decision for that chap to post on the other forum under his own name.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2022, 04:25:23 pm »
Certainly a bold decision for that chap to post on the other forum under his own name.

https://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=2264.msg17620#msg17620 

As an experienced organiser and long serving member of AUK, I cannot believe or even comprehend the extreme stupidity and selfishness of his actions.    The LEL Team took the correct course of action but I would not be surprised if the matter is taken yet further by the AUK Board.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Notfromrugby

« Reply #30 on: 16 August, 2022, 04:42:49 pm »

https://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=2264.msg17620#msg17620 

As an experienced organiser and long serving member of AUK, I cannot believe or even comprehend the extreme stupidity and selfishness of his actions.    The LEL Team took the correct course of action but I would not be surprised if the matter is taken yet further by the AUK Board.

sometimes they get old and they don't get wise... I think he's had his fair share of personal issues and maybe they've taken their toll on his state of mind.
That said, I seem the recall his events went ahead in March 2020 when it was clear that a lockdown was imminent, or maybe he was forced to cancel but he complained about it... I can't quite remember, but it was something along those lines.

EDIT: I checked the email trail and he said "he had no intention to cancel or postpone the event", on the day that BoJo said "now it's the time to stop all non essential travel". He was then was forced to cancel by AUK...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 16 August, 2022, 04:45:39 pm »
Some riders are VERY focussed on achieving their goals.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #32 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:14:10 pm »

"No issues with wearing a mask, as no riders, only volunteers."