Author Topic: Audax Luggage was: Re: DNF rate  (Read 11917 times)

Re: Audax Luggage was: Re: DNF rate
« Reply #50 on: 29 November, 2022, 04:25:33 pm »

For the audaxes I've done they haven't been long enough to need a change - one was an attempt at 500 km. I'd say that's up to a 500 or 600 km. Any more than that and you're going to want to change.

Was the 500km attempt successful or did things go wrong? I can’t imagine tackling a 500 or 600 audax with so little luggage.  Even under ideal conditions I’d need some warm layers for overnight when it gets down to single figures.

« Reply #51 on: 29 November, 2022, 04:47:27 pm »

I did say that one was a supported ride - but the first day was aiming for home, so no need for a change of clothes. And then on the first leg north I was on my own, so had some nightwear in a little backpack. So basically Land's End to Leamington Spa before I depended on an support for a change of clothes.

You didn’t really travel light then did you, using a 2 ton vehicle for your luggage! ;D

« Reply #52 on: 30 November, 2022, 12:28:39 pm »

I did say that one was a supported ride - but the first day was aiming for home, so no need for a change of clothes. And then on the first leg north I was on my own, so had some nightwear in a little backpack. So basically Land's End to Leamington Spa before I depended on an support for a change of clothes.

For the audaxes I've done they haven't been long enough to need a change - one was an attempt at 500 km. I'd say that's up to a 500 or 600 km. Any more than that and you're going to want to change.

What do you do it if rains? Or is colder than expected? Or you have to fix a mechanical in the middle of nowhere?

What's in the various bags ?

J

Was the 500km attempt successful or did things go wrong? I can’t imagine tackling a 500 or 600 audax with so little luggage.  Even under ideal conditions I’d need some warm layers for overnight when it gets down to single figures.
Unsuccessful, but not due to lack of luggage. I'd powered through the first 270 km in just under 15 hours (13:10 moving time). I didn't actually eat a proper meal until that point. Thus once starting again, through to the failure at 310k, I was suffering an almighty bonk.

This was December. I'd done a successful 300k in the November where the first leg was overnight and temps dropped to low single figures. I set out wearing two pairs of socks, and donned my spare 3rd set at a control. And I'd picked up excellent gloves after the experience of my first 200k.

So I set out wearing most of my layers, but I did have an extra in my jacket pockets.

Basic mechanical kit, pump, allen keys, tyre levers, tubes, that kind of thing were included - most of what fitted in the saddlebag.

Actually I did have a mechanical at km 10 on the successful 300. My chain jumped off and got tangled up. I coasted down the hill into Bath, thought I'd be getting a train, but managed to get the thing fixed. Although it was skipping for the remaining 300 km  :'(

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #53 on: 01 December, 2022, 09:40:45 am »
.... I'd done a successful 300k in the November where the first leg was overnight and temps dropped to low single figures.

I did that this year, set off with an empty bag, but by the finish temperature was up to 17C (yes, November) so many layers were removed into the bag. Quite an expensive approach to carry no bag and just jettison surplus clothing, or uncomfortably warm to keep wearing

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #54 on: 01 December, 2022, 10:16:12 am »
.... I'd done a successful 300k in the November where the first leg was overnight and temps dropped to low single figures.

I did that this year, set off with an empty bag, but by the finish temperature was up to 17C (yes, November) so many layers were removed into the bag. Quite an expensive approach to carry no bag and just jettison surplus clothing, or uncomfortably warm to keep wearing
On a much shorter ride I took on Great Dun Fell, and I set out wearing the jacket that I'd need at the top. In July. It was just a little warm at the bottom...

felstedrider

« Reply #55 on: 02 December, 2022, 01:15:20 pm »
I think a Tailfin is my next purchase.   I have some slightly longer adventures in planning.   I spent ages talking to the rep on their stand at Bespoked and he had me sold.   Lighting was the main thing for me but I neglected the fact that my seatpost would be uncluttered for the first time in ages.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #56 on: 31 July, 2023, 12:11:08 pm »
Reading with interest

ATM have a Tortec Ultralight + Arkel Tailrider

Other luggage options in the past have been a Carradice Super C massssive saddlebag + bag support.  This is quite heavy but nice side pockets.  I wore it out after 18 years of use and that's why I've been trying other options

The other option apart from the Arkel is a Restrap "bikepacking style" saddlebag.  This is light compared to the rack/bag support options

The Arkel is smallest at 11L, the Super C is 23L and the restrap is 18L

The advantage of the Arkel and the Super C is that they both have easy access to stuff, with sidepockets, internal organiser etc.  To get things out of the restrap it is usually necessary to tip everything out, unless it is right at the top

It's my belief (and this may be wrong) that racktop bags don't affect the bikes handling as much as higher up saddlebags

If you look at the Tailfin rack bag and want something similar but cheap then probably this https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/15l-dry-bike-motorbike-tail-bag/ is the cheapest reliable option.  I haven't tried it but have used another Lomo bag and it was fine

« Reply #57 on: 31 July, 2023, 07:54:34 pm »
It's my belief (and this may be wrong) that racktop bags don't affect the bikes handling as much as higher up saddlebags

With my M-Gineering I experience a clear differnce in handling between rackpack and saddlebag. With the saddlebag the stability is a lot better. The weight clearly in front of the rear axle more than offsets the higher centre of gravity. (Especially since I have 2 bottle pouches on both sides of my Timtas saddlebag in contrast to the bottlepouch completely at the tail end of the Topeak Rackpack).

felstedrider

« Reply #58 on: 31 July, 2023, 08:35:37 pm »
I think a Tailfin is my next purchase.   I have some slightly longer adventures in planning.   I spent ages talking to the rep on their stand at Bespoked and he had me sold.   Lighting was the main thing for me but I neglected the fact that my seatpost would be uncluttered for the first time in ages.

Bought one.  Use it all the time.

« Reply #59 on: 31 July, 2023, 08:51:11 pm »
So I have no where near as much experience as a lot of people here but have toyed quite a bit with a lot of different options.  My saddle is set right forward to get my fit right thus a bagman is out of the option.  I’ve tried an sqr uplift and a rackpack.  I’ve found both seem to place a lot of weight over the back, the handling whilst riding appears mainly unaffected but on getting off the bike the front wheel has a tendency to fly up and out and the bike to fall over.

My last ride I rode with a frame bag and a tortec rack, on the tortec rack I had two nylon straps and a bag for life.  This worked great for wrapping up unused clothing, strapping the bag to the rack and survived a 12 hour deluge with items inside still being dry.  The bike was balanced and I had a clamp on the back of the rack to attach my dynamo light to.  If I needed I could fit my bivi into the bag for life and if I didn’t I could just leave the rack empty.  It’s my budget tailfin!

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #60 on: 01 August, 2023, 05:18:36 pm »
To be fair, I think a Tailfin is just the bling version of a rack and rackpack, rather than rack+baggage being a cheap Tailfin!

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #61 on: 09 August, 2023, 08:01:31 pm »
Big Arkel Tailrider fan here. Advantages, IMHO...
  • Exceptional accessibility of contents, given the whole top can be unzipped. This is a huge advantage over most other bags in my opinion.
  • Plenty of capacity. Not as big as some larger saddlebags, but for brevet use I'd question how much you're carrying if it's not enough. I combine it with a small handlebar bag anyhow, for convenience. The marketing pictures don't make enough of how much it can expand when the top straps are loosened. Easy to strap a jacket on top.
  • Can easily attach to just about any rack out there.
  • Very durable. Mine's about a dozen years old and the most I can say is it's a bit faded in places.
  • Reasonably weatherproof. Not submergible but it's got to be raining hard before there any sign of water getting in, and it has a built-in rain-cover for that.
  • Seems pretty lightweight when empty to me. Not something I care much about, as someone with a somewhat more generous figure.
Trying not to sound like an advert, but not many bits of kit I'll fan on about like this.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 10 August, 2023, 11:34:21 am »
The Tailrider is excellent unless:

a) It's too long for your rack
b) It's the time of year when you need to start and/or finish the ride in full winter kit, and remove most of it after an hour or two

Apart from that, big thumbs-up for being sturdy and having pockets, and at least looking vaguely aerodynamic.  Points deducted for shower-cap waterproofing (not that it doesn't work, but I don't think to dig it out until everything's unambiguously soaked), but there aren't many options that are truly waterproof without being a single compartment.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #63 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:23:25 pm »
The Tailrider is excellent unless:

a) It's too long for your rack
b) It's the time of year when you need to start and/or finish the ride in full winter kit, and remove most of it after an hour or two

Apart from that, big thumbs-up for being sturdy and having pockets, and at least looking vaguely aerodynamic.  Points deducted for shower-cap waterproofing (not that it doesn't work, but I don't think to dig it out until everything's unambiguously soaked), but there aren't many options that are truly waterproof without being a single compartment.

The single compartment isn't so bad if it opens up like a carrdice saddlebag

Wish list

- narrow enough / short enough for Tortec Ultralight ( 11cm x 35.5cm ) and similar
 - attaches using velco straps ( or anything else that is just as good )
 - water proof without using a cover
 - two side pocket with a water proof zip + storm flap + tags to make zip operation easy
 - loop for light
 - internal compartment at least 15L with some side pocket / organiser (not sure if this actually makes sense with the rack size)
 - weight 500g ONO

Current things
 Lomo - too heavy, weird attachment, one side pocket that isn't waterproof enough, no loop.  Cheap though!
 Tailfin - too expensive, attachment could be better, side pocket is open to the elements
 Ortlieb - have 6 different types of bag.  Mostly they are too small.  The "Rack Pack" is a nice size (24L) but isn't designed for direct rack mounting.  None have waterproof side pockets
 Carradice - "CarraDura Rackbag" isn't really waterproof and is too heavy but otherwise ok.  "Super C Rackbag" too heavy, too small, only one pocket, waterproofing is good
  Vaude - have a series called "Silkroad" none of them look actually waterproof (they are described as "water resistant") and all are too small
 Alpkit - weirdly don't have a racktop bag of any sort as far as I can see

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #64 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:26:16 pm »
Tailfin - too expensive, attachment could be better, side pocket is open to the elements

Side pocket on my bag has a waterproof zip and a storm flap...

Main issue with the side pocket is it's not very large.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #65 on: 11 August, 2023, 05:53:40 pm »
I can just about get my EpiPen, spare contact lenses and a very small tub of climb-on in mine.

It's really quite tiny.

But there is a side opening into the main compartment, so good organisation helps.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #66 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:56:24 am »

Side pocket on my bag has a waterproof zip and a storm flap...

Main issue with the side pocket is it's not very large.

J
tailfin side pocket? just about get my tools in there - tyre levers, multitool, wolftool chain pliers, spare rear light. None of that really needs to be waterproof.

Used the tailfin on PBP, managed the event with no drop bags, all my spare kit for two changes, extra layers for potentially cold nights. Thought it was very good. Also used a side pannier for the ride to Paris, but that stayed in Paris. An expensive solution, but not disappointed. Also moving the rack between different bikes is easy due to the quick release fixing.

Eddington  127miles, 170km