Author Topic: Preview GPX in File Explorer  (Read 3103 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Preview GPX in File Explorer
« on: 01 August, 2020, 03:57:38 pm »
Can Windows be persuaded to do this? It's not rocket science - they're just ASCII files :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Preview GPX in File Explorer
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2020, 04:22:16 pm »
Why not open it in Notepad++?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2020, 04:48:38 pm »
I've set up Windows to associate GPX with Mapsource, so double clicking will open the file in Mapsource.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2020, 05:16:47 pm »
You want to preview the raw xml?

Davef

Preview GPX in File Explorer
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:09:26 pm »
If you copy and rename with .xml on the end that should work... unless of course you mean view it on a map. That would need some software.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:24:33 pm »
I find that text editors can be surprisingly poor at opening GPX files.  Many just aren't designed with large files in mind, and become unbearably slow if fed a megabyte of XML.  If it decides to render the file as a single line (depending on how it's configured to handle line endings), you have to do additional scrolling around before you get to something meaningful like a timestamp or lat/long.  Something that's designed for editing XML would be less painful.

On my (admittedly Linux) desktop, I've associated GPX with Viking, which is quick to start and renders them on a map.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2020, 09:25:51 pm »
I find that text editors can be surprisingly poor at opening GPX files.  Many just aren't designed with large files in mind, and become unbearably slow if fed a megabyte of XML.  If it decides to render the file as a single line (depending on how it's configured to handle line endings), you have to do additional scrolling around before you get to something meaningful like a timestamp or lat/long.  Something that's designed for editing XML would be less painful.

On my (admittedly Linux) desktop, I've associated GPX with Viking, which is quick to start and renders them on a map.

On windows, Notepad++ works just fine even with large GPX files.
It can also auto-detect the various new-line permutations, and present it sensibly.

The search-and-replace is very good, and you can use regexps that will make your eyes bleed, if you like!

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:17:40 pm »
You can associate XML files with a browser and it'll display them. Firefox provides +/- icons to expand/collapse sections which can be useful.

I get the same thing (e.g. it correctly notices it is an XML file) when I tell Windows to use Firefox to open a GPX file.

Not really good for actually looking at the information in the GPX file though, if you were looking for a "preview" to mean plotting on a map or similar.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:53:48 pm »
Notepad++

Is my go-to editor for windows, if it's worth installing something better than Notepad for (I spend pleasingly little time in Windows these days).   :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:06:29 am »
I'm talking about the Preview Pane.
https://images.app.goo.gl/3kteVoz1nRb4N5ua7

And yes, I want to see the raw XML please!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2020, 08:05:01 pm »
OK, you have to make some registry entries then:-

https://timothytocci.com/2017/06/23/preview-file-types-as-text-in-preview-pane-in-windows-explorer-on-windows-10-8-7-and-vista/
Blimey - its been a while since I've done that. I'll need my multi-tool! Wish me luck ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 15 October, 2020, 08:29:32 pm »
Finally got round to this!

Worked first time - exactly what I wanted. Thanks GB  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------