Author Topic: Peregrine Mountain Roads 300km - 1st July  (Read 5186 times)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Peregrine Mountain Roads 300km - 1st July
« on: 09 June, 2017, 09:43:58 am »
This ride piqued my interest with the intriguing start location of "Monmouth, Public Car Park by Budgen", and it covers bits of south Wales that I've not really ridden much. Anyone else going to brave a 4am start?  Just thinking about the need to leave Brizzle before 3 to make the start on time, but that's probably better than attempting to kip in a car in a small town car park on a Friday night....

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-660/
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Peregrine Mountain Roads 300km - 1st July
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2017, 10:00:37 am »
I will be replicating this ride at home by riding my bike up the house walls to the attic, over the roof and down the other side, 100 times. Good luck and enjoy it!  :thumbsup: ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2017, 10:43:23 am »
Only 100?  That's a tall house you live in.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »
It looks a really nice ride (and is endorsed by our own Ian Hennesey*  :o )

The logistics are dreadful for me. I may try catching the last train to somewhere nearish on Friday night. And take my bivvy bag!

*spelling failure. And memory failure ... soz ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

GrahamG

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2017, 12:53:38 pm »
Swiftly out of this one thanks to a family birthday meal summons.... probably for the best, not sure I could do this one without being useless for the following week!

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2017, 08:20:20 pm »
Looks very interesting.

The event page shows 6256m of climbing, but only 3 AAA. I wonder whether one or other of these figures is incorrect? Would be good to know which is right!

There are no contact details given for the organiser, so I'm unable to enquire. Is anyone able to contact the org to find out?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2017, 10:26:41 pm »
I think Ian H has route checked it so may be along to update. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to think the AAA is incorrect rather than the climbing figure given all the hills involved - there was an update on the Facebook page today which featured The Blorenge/Tumble (maybe twice), Rhigos, Bwlch, Devil's Elbow and Sugar Loaf and that's just the ones I remember.

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2017, 01:50:48 pm »
The lady's name is Jennifer Goslin - you could try getting in touch via the Chepstow Cycling Club website, I think she's active there?

300 is too far for me - there's no GPX up for this is there so I haven't seen the route. I rode the Dragon Ride last weekend and I'm fe3k3d off with Welsh hills and Welsh weather ;-)

FWIW I didn't realise there was a Budgen in Monmouth. It's too posh for that sort of thing, Shirley? If you need somewhere to kip close by I could suggest the Old Station at Tintern, which does a kind of ad-hoc camping, sleep in your car or whatever kind of experience.

GrahamG

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2017, 04:03:55 pm »
Sounds fantastic, lots of well known climbs there that I've shamefully never done - fingers crossed it's run next year.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2017, 04:35:17 pm »
http://Https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19929136

My legs hurt just looking at it.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2017, 10:57:29 pm »
I rode it in 1994. It's still the hardest 300 I have ridden.  AL (another ancienne) and I checked the route over three days earlier this year.  The scenery is as splendid as ever.  Jen is trying to keep as much as possible of Nik's* route.

*Whose funeral was a year ago yesterday.

JonB

« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:22:17 am »

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:38:08 am »
Too many https or not enough colons.  Try this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19929136

JonB

« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:46:00 am »
Too many https or not enough colons.  Try this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19929136

Yes, that works :thumbsup: Thanks Chris and thanks SoreTween for posting the route just got to work out whether I want to do this (climbing figure on RWGPS is not quite as bad as that listed on the AUK site but it's still pretty hairy)

« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2017, 10:31:26 am »
Jon or you can join us on the Pendle 600 km.  Not on fixed with 50 x 39 x 30 and 13 -30 cassette  :)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2017, 12:58:11 pm »
This ride looks awesome.

Gutted I am busy that weekend. :(

Eddington  127miles, 170km

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2017, 09:07:59 am »
I heard rumours of this of the GP150 and was very interested but !Wow! Any route that takes the backroad 25% descent to Llanfoist (I hope it's not raining :demon:) after 275k of rlenetless hills deserves respect  :thumbsup:  I also hope this ride is running next year too?  I'm way undercooked in terms of distance rides this year so I would probably be a DNF with v bad patella tedonitis if I dared enter.

Good luck to those who attempt it.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: 21 June, 2017, 04:07:36 am »
It's only hiils.  Whose scared of hills?

Me...

In ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 28 June, 2017, 07:08:33 am »
I rode the Neath-Abergavenny bit (with a 2am start) on my way to Iddu's event last week. https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15343659

It was truly lovely (if a little hard, and a little dark to start with), and I'm quite envious of the calendar event riders. A few photos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskZhJnSL
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:37:42 am »
It was splendid doing the route-check (and much kinder weather than when I rode it in 94).

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:03:57 am »
Rare DNF from me

Got the shivers 40K in heading up to The Tumble, threw up twice, zero energy, so discretion applied, rather than struggle on.

Currently in McD's, fighting off the QuickShits(TM)( :hand: TMI)

« Reply #21 on: 02 July, 2017, 11:11:12 am »
Tough ride with all that climbing you had to be on top of your game to get around that one! Usually have no trouble with the time limit but yesterday we were within one hour at one point; well rescued though :)

Here's the video I made, If you rode the event you might see yourself on here somewhere:

https://youtu.be/tY5ock61oDc

« Reply #22 on: 03 July, 2017, 06:11:32 pm »
Well done to the 9 riders that were successful and better luck next time to those that started, an excellent effort iddu and the 3 riders that started 30 minutes after the start.

I was the orgs right hand man on the day and I had suggested that it would be good to see this run again as I had enjoyed ( suffered ) riding it way back in the 90's! No gpx then,  just Nik's one page of A4 instructions, which was where most of the route sheet was baised on for 2017, until Ian and AL had kindly route tested and updated this.

Gpx was supplied by one kind rider.

AAA points were taken from the original route sheet, you will be pleased to know that for the next event? They have been updated to 6 AAA points by the AAA man with 6071 mts of climbing, so again possibly one of the hardest and scenic 300 km calender events in the UK.   :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:09:58 pm »
So gutted, thinking on a DIY try if I find a free w/e ;D

« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2018, 02:51:13 pm »
Well done to the 9 riders that were successful and better luck next time to those that started, an excellent effort iddu and the 3 riders that started 30 minutes after the start.

I was the orgs right hand man on the day and I had suggested that it would be good to see this run again as I had enjoyed ( suffered ) riding it way back in the 90's! No gpx then,  just Nik's one page of A4 instructions, which was where most of the route sheet was baised on for 2017, until Ian and AL had kindly route tested and updated this.

Gpx was supplied by one kind rider.

AAA points were taken from the original route sheet, you will be pleased to know that for the next event? They have been updated to 6 AAA points by the AAA man with 6071 mts of climbing, so again possibly one of the hardest and scenic 300 km calender events in the UK.   :thumbsup:

Hi,

Is this a calendar event now and have I missed it for this year?  If so will it run next year as I'll be needing a 300 for next year's Welsh SR...