Author Topic: Extinct supermarkets  (Read 14999 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Re: Extinct supermarkets
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:12:25 pm »
~Ford & Lock's and Lipton's in Barnstaple when I was young, and Sanders in the Weston-super-Mare area
Advena ego sum in Terra

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:13:43 pm »
I don't think I discovered Morrisons until I was a student,
In Canterbury?

I was a student in Canterbury at the time, but I think the Morrisons in question was somewhere in the vicinity of PeatBogHorror - an area notorious for not making its mind up about being in the North.

I have a feelign there was Morrisons in Buckinghamshire, where my grandmother lived, but it certainly didn't exist at about the same latitude 90 miles or so west, so it might have been a southeast/home counties thing. (Not sure if Buckinghamshire really qualifies as home counties, but near enough.)

The bit south of Aylesbury surely qualifies.  Seems a bit pointless not including the rest.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:13:50 pm »
Presumably no connection with Lipton tea?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #28 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:15:50 pm »
I'd never heard of Morrisons until about 1990 when a northern housemate told me about them. I believe they had the ad slogan "There's more reasons to shop at Morrisons". Catchy. I remember it almost 30 years later. They're still shit though...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #29 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:31:07 pm »
Not so much a supermarket as a chain,  Hugh Fay and Co Manchester.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:37:52 pm »
There was a Pricerite in Sittingbourne when I were littler.

I see Wikithing has a page of them.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

hillbilly

« Reply #31 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:43:40 pm »
Wullie Low's when I was growing up in Scotland.

Also Littlewoods used to have a sizeable food section in the Dundee branch.  I suspect not unrelated to it being the closest store to what were the bus stops out to the schemes back in the day.  Not sure if this counts though.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:49:48 pm »
Morrisons was a new thing in the East Midlands too – they had to build one on our school playing fields which annoyed the student smokers greatly as it was the best bit of playing field to elude the teachers' surveillance (not that the teachers could probably see out of the nicotinic fug of their staff room anyway).

It's also where my mother worked for many years after all the garment factories disappeared off to be sweatshops in the far-east.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:31:44 pm »
I'd never heard of Morrisons until about 1990 when a northern housemate told me about them. I believe they had the ad slogan "There's more reasons to shop at Morrisons". Catchy. I remember it almost 30 years later. They're still shit though...

There's a smallish grocery near here called More Reasons...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #34 on: 16 January, 2019, 05:04:34 pm »
Presto

The company behind Presto bought Safeway

for some bizzare reason when the vast majority of Presto's became Safeways (as it was the better known name or something), the Presto in Cupar remaind Presto until it closed.

There was Wm Low around here. They were quite modern and impressive for the time. Then taken over by Tesco, seems most of them have since been replaced by much larger Tesco shops.

there are clues in the design as to which were designed for Wullie Low's, but the ones that were can often be identified by the tiling in the bakery having not been updated.

« Reply #35 on: 16 January, 2019, 05:15:48 pm »
I remembered Fine Fare, and I also remembered my mum collecting Green Shield stamps, so I looked up what happened to them. They (Green Shield) became Argos. I never knew that!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 16 January, 2019, 05:30:46 pm »
I thought Safeway was higher class than Presto. (You'll be depressed at Presto...)

Green Shield had its HQ near Edgware Station, which was on my way to school.

Green Shield House became Premier House and the offices have now been converted to overpriced shoebox housing.

Argos is, I think, now part of Sainsbury's.

« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2019, 05:48:16 pm »
I wonder how many of these were regional? I recognize several names: Bejam, Safeway, KwikSave, I think Presto – but others I've definitely never heard.: Lennons, Jackson's, Bishops, Diamond Frozen Food, LoCost. Of course they might have been national just I never encountered them. I think Netto was, maybe is, German?

I wondered if anybody would mention Bejam.

If you want yo know what an abbatoir smells like, defrost one of their Economy Dog Food tubes  :sick:

« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2019, 05:56:57 pm »
Hinton's in Cockerton. Now a small Co-Op, but it felt big at the time.

« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:05:23 pm »
Lipton > Gateway> Somerfields> Morrisons

I think that was the evolution.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:09:25 pm »
There was a Pricerite in Sittingbourne when I were littler.

I see Wikithing has a page of them.
Oooh! But of course there would be.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:12:34 pm »
I remembered Fine Fare, and I also remembered my mum collecting Green Shield stamps, so I looked up what happened to them. They (Green Shield) became Argos. I never knew that!
Were Green Shield stamps from Fine Fare? That would make sense as I remember my mum collecting them – great pages of them – at about the time of Fine Fare. And there was later an Argos in the same shopping centre, though I thought Fine Fare was at the other end. So maybe at one point Fine Fare and Key Markets were there simultaneously. Oh, what choice!

« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »
I wonder how many of these were regional? I recognize several names: Bejam, Safeway, KwikSave, I think Presto – but others I've definitely never heard.: Lennons, Jackson's, Bishops, Diamond Frozen Food, LoCost. Of course they might have been national just I never encountered them. I think Netto was, maybe is, German?

Bishops was regional- had about 60 stores in the South-East, was bought by, or became, Budgens.

« Reply #43 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:13:08 pm »
Booker used to own (or franchise) a lot of the smaller local supermarkets - Fine Fare, Londis, Budgens, Mace etc.
Of which there are zillions.
They are, amongst other things, a wholesale supplier for whom, in another life, I used to drive an artic.
Booker were bought up by Tesco in (I think) 2017.

Fun fact - they're the same Booker as the one responsible for the literary prize.

ETA - Does anyone remember Pink Shield Stamps - or is there something wrong with my memory?

« Reply #44 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:15:54 pm »
Wavy Line

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #45 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:19:32 pm »
ETA - Does anyone remember Pink Shield Stamps - or is there something wrong with my memory?

Pink stamps were A thing.
The Co-op had its own Dividend Stamps.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #46 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:29:34 pm »

Yes, I think the same company.  My mother used to get her groceries (we called them 'arrants' in North Devon) from Liptons.
Advena ego sum in Terra

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:32:02 pm »
Wikipedia says:
Tesco founder Jack Cohen was an advocate of stamps; he signed up in 1963, shortly after his competitor Fine Fare adopted S&H Pink Stamps, and Tesco became one of the company’s largest clients.
So pink from Fine Fare, green from Tesco – and presumably Key Markets among many others.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:32:34 pm »

Yes, I think the same company.  My mother used to get her groceries (we called them 'arrants' in North Devon) from Liptons.
I'm not a fan of Lipton tea.  :(

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #49 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:32:53 pm »

Both were at one time owned by Lever Brothers (Unilever). They decided to get out of the retail market and sold the supermarkets (and MacFisheries). Part of the deal was that they couldn't use the name for the tea in the UK, which is why the Brooke Bond brand was promoted.
216km from Marsh Gibbon