Author Topic: Riding stokerless  (Read 4082 times)

Chris S

Riding stokerless
« on: 19 August, 2009, 12:39:14 pm »
I'm a relative n00b to tandems.

With this in mind, would I find 70km or so (flat roads) riding stokerless hard work?

Re: Riding stokerless
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2009, 12:47:48 pm »
I'm a relative n00b to tandems.

With this in mind, would I find 70km or so (flat roads) riding stokerless hard work?

Tim has occasionally ridden the tandem stokerless, but for no more than five miles at a time. The braking will be different, as you will have no weight over the rear wheel, but I can't see a reason otherwise why it should be harder work than a bike with panniers on.

The main tiring thing you will suffer will be witty people telling you that you've lost one off the back.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »
It depends how good your usual stoker is.  You might find it easier without one.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2009, 12:58:48 pm »
It depends how good your usual stoker is.  You might find it easier without one.  ;D

Tim once went about 1/4 of a mile without me, not realising I wasn't there. He thought I was sulking with him and giving him the silent treatment. ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:04:29 pm »
The main tiring thing you will suffer will be witty people telling you that you've lost one off the back.  ::-)

If they're a lone driver, you can delight in telling them they've lost all their passengers.  ;)

I haven't riden more than 10 miles or so, solo on the tandem. It seems alright while you're bowling along on the flat, but hills and towns slow you down more than a single.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:14:56 pm »
You'll be fine.  It's obviously harder work than riding an ordinary bike but not hugely so.  I've done 40 miles solo before without problems.  Until recently I didn't have a regular stoker so I used to have to ride all over the place to pick them up. 

A couple of things to watch for:

You'll get used to riding it alone, so when your stoker gets on your steering will go wobbly for a couple of miles.  As long as you're expecting this it's not a problem.  This also occurs when you're used to riding two-up and go solo. 

The transmission can get a bit jumpy without balancing weight on the back, leading to chain offs.  Keep your pedalling and gear changes smooth and you'll be fine. 

On average, a $WITTY_TYPE will tell you that you've lost your passenger every half mile.  Keep grinning. 

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:19:10 pm »
On average, a $WITTY_TYPE will tell you that you've lost your passenger every half mile.  Keep grinning. 

Isn't that why MP3 players were invented?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:23:09 pm »
Depends on the type of tandem.  The 2Across or the KHS were perfectly fine when ridden solo.  The Orbit was a bit more awkward, but the SuperGalaxy gets very twitchy when the rear wheel is unweighted.  Probably better with loaded panniers back there, but I wouldn't want to ride it any distance without a stoker.

Best to try it with your set up and see...
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:25:29 pm »
Of course you could ofset the efficiency shortcomings of the machine by using an aerodynamic superman position, shown here by the legendary Sheldon Brown. :o

Is he able to reach the brakes? Discuss.....

« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:30:05 pm »
Best to try it with your set up and see...

+1 to that.  The Dawes was a brick and took it well.  I did the last 70km of the Cheltenham Flyer in '08 1-up on it.   The Santana on the otherhand is a twitchy beast and whilst it's doable, it wouldn't be a relaxing experience over any sort of distance.  Braking also poses a significant challenge on the latter as it just slides around in a skid with no weight on the back...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2009, 10:14:22 pm »
I did just under 20 miles after my stoker took the train home. No problem.

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2009, 06:29:08 pm »
Depends on the type of tandem.  The 2Across or the KHS were perfectly fine when ridden solo.  The Orbit was a bit more awkward, but the SuperGalaxy gets very twitchy when the rear wheel is unweighted.

I've ridden our SG all sorts of places solo. It _feels_ very twitchy when you first mount up if you have been riding with a stoker recently, and no wonder - all your steering corrections are the wrong size; but I find that passes in five or ten minutes, and then it's a perfectly comfortable ride. It doesn't feel twitchy at all once that phase is past - somewhat ponderous if anything, as you might expect.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »
Riding the Pino stokerless means it's much (for v large values of much) more inclined to wheelie.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2009, 07:57:05 pm »
On the plus side -

You don't have to hold your farts in.

IGMC.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

ed_o_brain

« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2009, 08:08:18 pm »
When we picked our Tandem up Maffie was a bit under the weather suffering a chest infection that was playing havoc with her Asthma. Hence I dropped her in Halifax and rode onto Manchester solo.

It was fine. I relished it, especially the challenges of climbing with it and even scalping a couple of other riders. When I got it home I realised there was only about thirty PSI in the back tyre.

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »
Thanks for all the input folks. It all worked very well in the end. I rode 35km stokerless to from home to Downham Market, met Mrs S off the train - and after Regulator's ride, I rode the 40km home from King's Lynn. I enjoyed it immensely. The bike was very well behaved - and the brakes work better when there's only one of us on it!

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #16 on: 02 October, 2009, 12:12:39 pm »
On the plus side -

You don't have to hold your farts in.

IGMC.

I didn't know you had to - Maybe that's why I never have any volunteer stokers!

« Reply #17 on: 16 October, 2009, 01:10:58 am »
I didn't know you had to - Maybe that's why I never have any volunteer stokers!

Robin and I were descending a hill somewhere in Scotland once, both tucked down. As we approached a point where I might need to steer and not be travelling at 45mph, I sat up and immediately, with the unbending of the digestive system, let fly _fortissimo_.

I inferred Robin's head was still near my backside when he burst into helpless giggles.

At that point I burst into helpless giggles.

Shortly after that we had to stop. You cannot hold a tandem steady if both captain and stoker are wetting themselves laughing.