Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195688 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #225 on: 16 June, 2016, 06:42:29 pm »
"Waiting for route sheets"

Probably going out on Saturday. The eagle-eyed will have noticed that I've had to re-modify the route on the last section. The route now goes direct from Askrigg to Bispham, cutting out Clitheroe. The final distance is now 1004 km. Both event websites have been updated!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #226 on: 16 June, 2016, 07:21:25 pm »

"Waiting for route sheets"

Probably going out on Saturday. The eagle-eyed will have noticed that I've had to re-modify the route on the last section. The route now goes direct from Askrigg to Bispham, cutting out Clitheroe. The final distance is now 1004 km. Both event websites have been updated!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Brilliant

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #227 on: 16 June, 2016, 08:37:39 pm »
Hello Andy,
Will there be a power socket at Askrigg so I can charge a headlight?

« Reply #228 on: 16 June, 2016, 11:14:53 pm »
Starting to actually think about this ride now!

Got round to booking train tickets and all that jazz.  I'd been focused on my last ride and then come back to a lot of demands on my time business wise.

Bring it on now!  I am looking forward to revisiting some bits I have ridden before, and also discovering some new bits.

Might do the train thing this time. No point staying in hotels if they don't let you use their carparks for the weekend and saves the tiring drive home.
Then again, you have to sit there and watch your bike for the whole trip on a train. #norelax

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #229 on: 17 June, 2016, 10:40:14 am »

Hello Andy,

You and 100 others

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #230 on: 17 June, 2016, 12:14:18 pm »

Hello Andy,
You and 100 others

I'm borrowing a USB cache charger (or two) to go in the dropbag to avoid this scenario. Self sufficiency and all that.

Bought myself a pair of 28mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance this week, instead of my usual 25mm ones; thought I might gain a bit of comfort for my tour of the North. Slightly disappointed to find my extra £2 and 40g per tyre buys me less than 1mm extra width. ???

« Reply #231 on: 17 June, 2016, 01:02:49 pm »
Probably getting first train up from London for this to make the 10am start so to save using holiday leave and money. Involves changing at Preston for Blackpool. Anyone know what these local trains are like around 8.30-9am on a Friday? Will I be able to get on amongst the commuter traffic?

J

« Reply #232 on: 17 June, 2016, 01:29:31 pm »
I am from South Machester so not local but:-
The route is Northern rail who are usually good about bikes. No reservation required. The trains via Manchester are the old diesels the bike storage is under a baggage rack so it is not in anyones way. It is close to the door so hopefully you can get it in place. If ti is crowed you can stand with it near the door.
It maybe cheaper to get a late train on Thursday and a cheap hotel.

« Reply #233 on: 17 June, 2016, 01:39:17 pm »
Hope my knee and shoulder heal up fully over the next week (conveniently a bike-free week of "controlled" carb loading in Berlin!) and I can squeeze a little ride in before this to get my mind in the right place.

Bike-wise I have a plan if the shoulder is still a little sore, not sure about the knee though...

« Reply #234 on: 17 June, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »
I'm borrowing a USB cache charger (or two) to go in the dropbag to avoid this scenario. Self sufficiency and all that.

Bought myself a pair of 28mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance this week, instead of my usual 25mm ones; thought I might gain a bit of comfort for my tour of the North. Slightly disappointed to find my extra £2 and 40g per tyre buys me less than 1mm extra width. ???

Using normal or wide rims? I've not run the 28s of these but I had a 25 Pro4End on the rear for the Tan Hill. You might find they're taller so could still get some extra comfort from them?

« Reply #235 on: 17 June, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »

Using normal or wide rims? I've not run the 28s of these but I had a 25 Pro4End on the rear for the Tan Hill. You might find they're taller so could still get some extra comfort from them?

Stans Crests, so very wide for road tyres. 25mm ones already come out at 28mm wide, the 28mm ones only came out at just below 29mm. However, you're right, I shall measure the height difference this evening. They're in a CX disc frame/fork so no problem with tyre size/clearances. I should have just bought some more 25mm ones but, you know, nice to try something different every now and then. :-\

« Reply #236 on: 17 June, 2016, 03:02:29 pm »
Probably getting first train up from London for this to make the 10am start so to save using holiday leave and money. Involves changing at Preston for Blackpool. Anyone know what these local trains are like around 8.30-9am on a Friday? Will I be able to get on amongst the commuter traffic?

Euston - Preston - Blackpool North?

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #237 on: 17 June, 2016, 04:11:11 pm »
I've booked trains going up the Thursday evening. Price ok in the end but what a faff!

Virgin site lets you make a cycle reservation but price was over twice what was available via thetrainline - so booked train via this and made cycle reservation separately by phone.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #238 on: 17 June, 2016, 04:23:11 pm »
Event info' and route-sheet can now be downloaded at: https://millepenninesaudax.com/event-information/. I'll be e-mailing all entrants their own copies over the next week or so (apart from those that have already notified me of DNS) . You'll notice the route-sheet has the final section from Askrigg back to Bispham missing. This is because of the recent route change and this part of the route needs re-checking before issuing, which I'll be doing sometime early next week. It is then that entrants will receive their own copies.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #239 on: 17 June, 2016, 05:02:05 pm »
Virgin site lets you make a cycle reservation but price was over twice what was available via thetrainline - so booked train via this and made cycle reservation separately by phone.

I did the same about 10 weeks ago when prices were probably at their cheapest (cheap tickets released 12 weeks in advance). But I now have 20 separate tickets including the tickets for each leg of the journey, seat reservations, and bike reservations. It's going to be quite a feat to get the right ticket prepared at the right time ... but I'm looking forward to making a big thing about it when I need to present my ticket to the train inspector when they come around for a ticket check.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #240 on: 17 June, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »
Event info' and route-sheet can now be downloaded at: https://millepenninesaudax.com/event-information/. I'll be e-mailing all entrants their own copies over the next week or so (apart from those that have already notified me of DNS) . You'll notice the route-sheet has the final section from Askrigg back to Bispham missing. This is because of the recent route change and this part of the route needs re-checking before issuing, which I'll be doing sometime early next week. It is then that entrants will receive their own copies.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Will GPX files be available?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #241 on: 17 June, 2016, 07:42:56 pm »
I have just downloaded the route sheet and there were 10 pages and it stopped at the third night in Askrigg. Looks like the last section did not get loaded up on the website.

BB

simonp

« Reply #242 on: 17 June, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »
Indeed - as stated the final stage has been rerouted and is not ready yet.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #243 on: 17 June, 2016, 08:14:11 pm »
Top stuff! Thanks Andy.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #244 on: 17 June, 2016, 08:18:56 pm »
I am effectively a DNS.

I need a miraculous change in my health AND a miraculous offer of transport!  (or a sugar daddy to pay the outrageous fares - see rants passim).
This was probably fated; I never expected to finish in time, so had planned to cut short Day3 to make a hard-but-enjoyable tour. Have the Audax gods kicked me out??

Andy:
 clubmate Mr Virgo tells me he is also out due to family commitments. Dunno if he's notified you.
This event still looks stunning :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #245 on: 17 June, 2016, 10:51:24 pm »
Love the way the route sheet sounds so innocuous...

2.2 L $ BOOT (outside King George IV pub)
10.8 L@T $ Langdale
9.4 R@T $ Ambleside

sounds so simple...

simonp

« Reply #246 on: 18 June, 2016, 12:16:42 am »
On the Fred Whitton no-one seems to be in much of a hurry on the flat road loading up there.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #247 on: 18 June, 2016, 09:11:15 am »
Done my first pass of my gps files (up to the final visit to Askrigg).  All looks fabulous!

Ridewithgps gives me the following for the days:

Day 1 - 284km - 3900m

Day 2 - 362km - 4700m

Day 3 - 266km - 3500m

Guessing at the final run in to arrivee, it will be fairly benign I think.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #248 on: 18 June, 2016, 10:44:39 am »
I was going to suggest we pull together volunteers to divvy up the task, but seeing as you've made a start, any chance of a no-liability implied share? Will check and report any anomalies.

« Reply #249 on: 18 June, 2016, 10:47:26 am »
Also interested in your gps files Marcus, as I'm making my own (done day 1 so far) and there's a few places I'd like to check you get the same as me.