Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487451 times)

gordon taylor

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #275 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »
We had less than an inch of snow overnight, but it fell on top of frozen lanes
I took the trike to work but had a few hairy moments and can confirm that :

Ice + trike + downhill + camber = AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

At one point I wished I'd packed an anchor or something  similar to thow out behind me.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #276 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:59:07 pm »
Ee, that were a grand ride home.  Really good.  Tailwind, I gather, but I'd paid for that this morning.  And two very careful motorists, one of whom was a cabbie! :o
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #277 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:08:22 pm »
Quite a lot of motorists do have a strong sense of self-preservation.

My ride home was very good: we'd just had an inch of fast-falling snow which made the motorists very wary. I just trundled along outside the traffic, Solidlights flashing and Hope Vision 1 glaring, and lots of drivers, apparently thinking "WTF?", moved left as they caught sight of me in the off-side wing-mirror.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #278 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:25:24 pm »
At one point I wished I'd packed an anchor or something  similar to thow out behind me.

An anchor behind you may not be the best thing. Especially going downhill on ice.

Another walk/jog to work for me. The gritted roads looked rideable, but I was glad that I walked as I watched a long line of cars about 2 car lengths away from each other. It doesn't strike me as a clever way to drive when it could well be icy.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #279 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
Yes was fun here, I walked home this morning. It took me just over an hr 30
Fell on my arse once ;D was lovely walking past the lake and along the canal at 6.30 this morning though.

« Reply #280 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:10:48 pm »
Narnia, anyone?

« Reply #281 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:52:39 am »
A driving colleague tells me it's minus 13 here. That's the coldest I've ever known and certainly the coldest I've ever ridden in. Shame I'm at work or I'd be knocking up a pair of studded tyres and going out to play.

Getting to work and home again feels like playing because it's a bit dicey in places.

FyPuNK

« Reply #282 on: 07 January, 2010, 08:46:42 am »
Damn cold again this morning, the roads were in pretty good condition but again the gears were not running smooth often frozen, nearly felt brave enough to clip in.

« Reply #283 on: 07 January, 2010, 09:23:11 am »
That was  . . . long.

Went the Wetherby route, so about 27miles. Took me 2 hours!  Snow built up under mudguard, it was like riding with the brakes on.

I tried taking some photos, but it was too dark for my phone.

So i'll cheat and use someone else's pics. This was taken yesterday, on part of my Wetherby route.

The snow is a bit deeper now, and the wheel tracks a bit clearer.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #284 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:00:07 am »
Respect, mr charly!  That's an ambitious ride in these conditions.

My ride was shorter but still quite interesting.

Once out of the backstreets, the roads were pretty clear, but the amount of snow'n'ice at the edges pushed me out so I had to take different lines past some familiar hazards.

A contraflow cycle lane was very sketchy, but I managed to scoot it.  The road the other way had been gritted (yesterday, I suspect), which helped, but the van stopped skewiff across the road, forcing the cars into the contraflow cycle lane to get past, was another thing.

I was surprised that the next bits of road were so icy, but, by the time I got to Tooting, I was onto the Red Route, so it was fairly normal.

I was very conscious that I was slow, and less able to dominate the road than usual, so junctions were more difficult to negotiate.

I decided not to take the back road up to work, but go further along and double back along a bigger road.  I'm glad I did, because I saw a lad down on the ice at one of the side junctions.  I was literally round the corner from work, but I'm one of the few people who rides with a first aid kit, and I'd not forgive myself if I hadn't checked on him.

U-turn on New Kent Road :o  then back.  The road mouth he was negotiating (well, actually, the sharp, ramped turn onto a cycle lane just before the junction) was absolutely glassy, and pedestrians were struggling.  Fortunately, by the time i got to him, a passer by and the (fortuantely very aware) Range Rover driver stopped behind him had helped get him and his bike safely off the road, and I just had to deal with the aftermath.

I think he'd bumped his head, but it was hard to tell because there were so many marks on his helmet.  He was clearly bruised & a bit stiff, and rather woozy.  I sat him down & parked our bikes together while I made an assessment.  Nothing to bandage, wipe or dress, so the FAK stayed in the saddlebag, but I did strongly advise him to go to St Thomas's or the Guy's MIC.  I don't believe he did.  When he was a bit more together, we walked together to the bike route, and he continued on towards his work, while I peeled off the other way, and rode gingerly on the ice I'd earlier decided to avoid.

We saw two Council workers spreading grit by hand on the footpath (but not the adjacent cycle path ::-)  Not their fault).  I persuaded them to do something about the end of the cycle path so I hope there won't be any more falls there.

As we were crossing New Kent Road again at the pelican, we were naturally a little cautious, so were still on the crossing as the light began to flash.  Not a problem - there's time to finish crossing.  Well, there would have been, had a B*W not been speeding up the blind side of a truck without even slowing.  In this weather? >:(
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #285 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:27:54 am »
Went in by bike today (I’m aware that it’s a lot less challenging to do so where I am than where many other posters are) , got some wide knobbly tyres for my old Marin Hardtail on the way home last night.  I rode in on my Ribble yesterday and had a few problems coming back through Richmond Park last night, was a bit slippy on slick tyres (I had to get off and walk up part of Sawyers Hill as I had no traction and the rear wheel kept spinning round while I went nowhere, I also had an off at the RAB just before Kingston Gate).

This morning on fat knobbly tyres I was much happier – the conditions in the park were worse than yesterday with the roads and snow now having frozen.  The police were stopping vehicles from entering at Kingston Gate (and advised me to walk my bike).  I took the flattest route via the middle and down to Robin Hood Gate, then Roehampton Gate.  I only saw one other cyclist the entire time, a person on a road bike heading for Broomfield Hill.

Then there was a huge tailback of vehicles down Priory Lane to negotiate as they had all tried to get in the park and then had to turn back, was one of the few times it was more convenient to use the cycle path.

It was lots of fun but I was very slow in getting to work.

« Reply #286 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:08:51 am »
Rode in to work today. I left home about 9:30 (there was a telecon to India between 8:30 and 9:30, so I decided to do that from home and avoid the traffic).

This was typical of my route in; the main roads were easily passable by bike, just the minor ones had any problems.

(that is the A30 between Hartley Wintney and Hook, near Basingstoke).

Most cars gave a wide berth and were very patient - though at 20mph on most of these roads I was only marginally slower than they were going anyway.

The only real idiot I got was riding along our road; it is only about 500m, but it was compacted snow with only the width of a car available (the rest was 8-9 inches of snow). So why did the white Astra van driver think it was worthwhile driving inches from me honking his horn? Where was I going to go? And he only had to wait until the end of the road at worst.  ???

I have to say, it was tempting to skip work and just carry on riding  :)

The few people who made it in today in cars are currently sitting around discussing digging in the snow at lunchtime to make sure they can get their cars out.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #287 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:09:11 pm »
Last night I made it home much more successfully than any of the cars I saw, despite all the stupidity drivers displayed. I can't be bothered to even rant about it.

South Circular outside our house (an urban dual carriageway):

Nice ride through the park this morning. Slow and steady, very much fun.

Riding on the roads was a bit nasty, too many motons not giving a shit about the conditions.

One extremely scary moment on Kennington Road. I was blasting along at 18-20mph, when I spotted a bus sized patch of compressed slush at a bus stop (I presume because a bus had been stood there when the gritter went past). A truck was overtaking me, so a bail out into the next lane was off the cards and by now I was too close to e-stop... I braked for a couple of meters before letting them off and attempting to relax my grip on the bike to hit the slush. Everything got very wobbly and I somehow managed to ignore the stupid part of my brain that was screaming "BRAKE! BRAAAAAKE!" and got off the compressed slush. My HR was through the roof and I was shaky from a massive dose of adrenaline that had been dumped into my bloodstream. There was a cyclist infront and behind, and when we looked at each other as we got ourselves together after the scare, we all had that same "bloody hell" look on our faces ;D

Other than that, a relatively uneventful ride - I was pleased I cycled.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #288 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:26:08 pm »
I managed half a mile this morning before getting scared and turning round for home.  My route is usually nicely gritted but today even the roads in the town were dicey.  It wasn't so much the ride in, it was more the thought of negotiating the same roads home this evening in the dark if they were still bad.

So car for me today.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #289 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:57:19 pm »
Skived yesterday as the early trains were cancelled Bristol TM - Swindon, and because I didn't think the folder would be up to it...

So I went out on the fixie and bought a couple of new tyres for my Stumpjumper, fettled it and then went for a ride instead, stopping off at TM to book the bike on the train for today and Friday.

This morning rode on semi-packed snow along the river into TM, then along the canal and railway paths once in Swindon. Really enjoyable commute, tempered only by news of cockroaches on the desks at work ???.

Rich

« Reply #290 on: 07 January, 2010, 04:40:53 pm »
You're all managing to make me feel like a right wuss. I haven't ridden in since Dec 17th and it's mostly 'cause I'm scared of falling off (again).  :-[
In my defence I'd either have to walk 2 or add an extra 5 miles each way because the lanes are sheet ice, but even so...

gordon taylor

« Reply #291 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »
Today I swapped my trike for the Surly fixed with the studded tyres. I'm so glad to get another bit of use for them 'cos I've had them for three or four years.  :-[

Five miles of ice and seven miles of gritted roads were fine on the way in, but the amount of ice remaining on the way home was much less, so it was a drag. But the commute was brilliant, again. Glorious, glorious, glorious. What a way to start a working day!!!!!

I was warm and toasty despite -7 degrees. My cunning plan involved two pairs of gloves, overshoes over winter boots, three buffs and a bin bag taped over my helmet.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #292 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:43:20 pm »
I was warm and toasty despite -7 degrees. My cunning plan involved two pairs of gloves, overshoes over winter boots, three buffs and a bin bag taped over my helmet.

I can think of no comment that would not condemn this to NSFW except for......
bragging or complaining?
 ;D

« Reply #293 on: 07 January, 2010, 08:05:20 pm »
The commute home today was harder than the commute in yesterday (the two being interrupted by an extended fettling session on the front brakes).  The bit of snow we had in that gap doesn't seem to have cleared quite as well as the earlier snow, and the slush is also getting dirtier, so harder to spot at night.

I only had to adopt primary a couple of times, when the slush was too far out for me to be anywhere else, and the drivers were patient, presumably since I was going over speed bumps to avoid the slush, they realised that I wasn't just doing it to annoy them!

The traffic was still quite light for the time of day, I would normally have expected a lot busier roads at that time, so people are obviously still avoiding driving.

My one attempt to leave the main roads, onto what is normally a busy side road was aborted when I realised I was cycling on ice with a layer of slush on top.  One quick retrace later, and I was back on the main road, one-way system around Streatham, normally pretty lethal, but which was still preferential to the ice, and as is turned out, relatively quiet traffic-wise.

I'm undecided whether to continue cycling tomorrow.  With the forecast low temperatures, the icy bits are just going to get icier. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #294 on: 07 January, 2010, 08:14:13 pm »
I'm undecided whether to continue cycling tomorrow.  With the forecast low temperatures, the icy bits are just going to get icier. :-\

It does tend to get worse after the initial snowfall as the snow gets compact and becmes solid ice. Even worse when it gets rutted.
It'd be great if you had some studded tyres.

« Reply #295 on: 07 January, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »
...It'd be great if you had some studded tyres.

Fecking slow postage system...<fume>...
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #296 on: 07 January, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »
That was . . . interesting.

There is something curiously liberating about the weather being so bad that it is unreasonable to maintain any sort of speed. Instead, the journey becomes complete in itself, without any demands to reach the destination. 

2hrs 40min for 35miles  ::-)
No '6 miles of hard ice', instead it was hard-packed snow, not at all slippery.  However, the blizzard did knock some of the enjoyment off.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #297 on: 07 January, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »
2hrs 40min for 35miles  ::-)

That'll be faster than my usual everyday normal weather average speed then.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #298 on: 08 January, 2010, 12:14:34 am »
Bugger me

That was cold. Down as low as -12 according to some drivers (and i've upped that a couple of degrees to compensate car thermo accuracy)

Had to stop and go home after 100m to de-ice the gear cable runs. Was also having problems with the free hub going into neutral if I stopped peddling. Have to say - once it reaches a temperature where the bike stops working properly I wonder......

Also had the dubious pleasure, of experiencing for the first time, moisture in the nostrils freezing. Felt odd!

Still - bike is stored in the warm tonight, so should all be set for the morning. I'll get into trouble though cos it's dropped loads of black mush onto the downstairs toilet floor.   ;D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #299 on: 08 January, 2010, 09:00:32 am »
Continuing my temporary mostly train commute..., as I got off the train and wheeled my bike along the platform a guard came running up to me, "Switch that red light off you are stopping the train!"  Not easy with a dynamo light.