Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487205 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #425 on: 22 January, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »
 ;D

Doe, I'd missed that one.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #426 on: 22 January, 2010, 07:20:46 pm »
Do motons never give way to cyclists turning right at a mini-roundabout?  They just plough straight on.  Second day on the run for me.  I'm expecting it now.  Twunts.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #427 on: 22 January, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
Do motons never give way to cyclists turning right at a mini-roundabout?  They just plough straight on.  Second day on the run for me.  I'm expecting it now.  Twunts.

I've had that more than a few times. Luckily I have my fingers on the brakes as I anticipate it's just going to happen.

In the hot weather, on a few occasions, I've almost got my head into their open window to scream "C*NT!!!" into their earhole.   :smug:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #428 on: 22 January, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »
Passing a group of POBs on the way home tonight; as I pass their group on the left (they were heading right) one of them exclaims "I thought it was a fucking CAR!"

Edelux FTW.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #429 on: 22 January, 2010, 08:40:36 pm »
Do motons never give way to cyclists turning right at a mini-roundabout?  They just plough straight on.  Second day on the run for me.  I'm expecting it now.  Twunts.

I always expect it. I think a lot of it is down to them thinking that bike=very slow.

« Reply #430 on: 22 January, 2010, 08:44:22 pm »
Riding home the other night, on an unlt section I came up behind a woman on a new Christiania trike with several kids on bikes ahead of her. As I approached, with a born with a silver spoon up her arse voice, she announced 'move over children, a car is coming. Oh, it's just a man with stupidly bright lights'.

The power of twin Ixons.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #431 on: 23 January, 2010, 12:46:29 pm »

I always expect it. I think a lot of it is down to them thinking that bike=very slow.

I have to negotiage one of these mini RABs within 50m of starting my commute....one of the reasons I got an Airzound, they do it every time, presumably because they are on the 'main' road.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #432 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:37:52 am »
On my commute today, I think I was abducted by aliens.  I was riding as normal, but ended up at work over five minutes later than normal.  And not my slowest average speed by quite a margin. ???
Getting there...

« Reply #433 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:58:39 am »
I came in on the singlespeed. As this is the bike that's listed on the company's asset sheet as being worth £1000 (slightly creative invoicing from Mr Madgett) I felt it was about time.

I think I might have been mistaken about the worst hill. I actually moaned out loud.
Unless, of course, I am in for a world of pain tonight, too...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #434 on: 25 January, 2010, 01:13:26 pm »

That's probably the main reason, but could it also be that they see you on the mini roundabout, which I presume doesn't have lanes - most don't - and because you no longer have your arm out (cos you're negotiating the rab) they assume (and I do mean assume, rather than think!) that you're going straight on, despite road positioning (which they may not notice anyway).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #435 on: 25 January, 2010, 01:27:01 pm »
Usual S E London traffic this morning with the addition of a bevy of police motorcyclists on the Old Kent Road.   I was waiting behind one of them at some traffic lights but when they changed to green he didn't move forward and seemed to be worried that he wouldn't fit through the sizeable gap between the right-turning car to his right and the roadworks to his left.

I mumbled, totally under my breath, that he could go, and that he wasn't really all that fat, despite the doughnuts. (I feel I am qualified to comment on doughnuts, as I eat several of them each week.)

When he did pull away, another police motorcyclist drew up alongside me and had a go at me for being irate.  Irate?  I had been mildly amused, and now this patronising git with a self-satisfied moustache has a go at me for being irate.  He claimed he had heard what I had said and refused to explain why he thought I was irate.

Of course, by this stage I was irate.   >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #436 on: 25 January, 2010, 01:52:32 pm »
On my commute today, I think I was abducted by aliens.  I was riding as normal, but ended up at work over five minutes later than normal.  And not my slowest average speed by quite a margin. ???

There is a noticeable North-Easterly wind at the moment, it's not strong, but when your commute is pretty much continuously against it, it slows things down a bit.

On the plus side, if it's like Saturday (when I cycled to/from St Pancras1), the commute back home this evening should be good. :thumbsup:

Footnote [1]: Otherwise known as St Pancreas.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #437 on: 25 January, 2010, 03:44:29 pm »
It's either that or the tons of scrap metal that's been dumped on my commute - lines & lines of it, impeding the progress of traffic. ;D
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #438 on: 25 January, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »
While stopped at a set of lights at 7.30 am today, I remarked to the other cyclist there that today appeared to be "Drive Like a Nutter" day, and we'd missed the memo.  He agreed that the A6's motorists were more agressive than normal - he'd been beeped 3 times.

Combination of Monday and slightly colder than usual?  Or the traffic had been held up behind a tractor, and everyone put their foot down once past?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #439 on: 25 January, 2010, 04:12:58 pm »
I dunno, but I had 2 near misses this morning - both times I avoided a collision because I hit my brakes. 1 classic left hook, one turning right across my path.

I don't normally get any of these, so I think it must be National Drive Like a Myopic Chimpanzee day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #440 on: 25 January, 2010, 07:29:12 pm »
Invigorating ride home over the peaks this evening - freezing rain and sleet.
When I got home, bits if sheet ice fell off various bits of the bike (spacegrip, forks, headset, computer, helmet cover...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #441 on: 25 January, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »
Taking the third exit of the roundabout a few hunderd yards before home, I was obliged to give my lungs and larynx a bit of exercise as a dozy person in a Micra-style car decided it would be a good idea to pull out in front of me.

The second 100-decibel "Wait there!" did the trick and I was able to proceed unmolested.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #442 on: 25 January, 2010, 11:34:25 pm »
On the way home I got a puncture in the delightful village of Coate.  I used my Spoonerskills to spot the nice cosy wind shielding bus shelter so changed the tube in comfort.  As I was only 10 miles from home I resisted the urge to lay down for a nap in practice for up and coming events  ;D
A kind neighbour even popped over the road to ensure I was okay  ;D
Either that or he was curious why his bus shelter looked brighter than the sun ( Lumicycle LED4 system )

simonp

« Reply #443 on: 25 January, 2010, 11:44:09 pm »
Went a longer way home (12-13 miles) to have some extra calories burned, as the smallest haggis I could find was 1lb (1225 kcals).  Along with 1lb of mashed potatoes and 150g of neeps, and the butter etc, it was 1908kcals.

Fortunately that means I'm only 366 kcals over budget because I cycled 20 miles today.   O:-)  Though I'm now having a little fruit which will push me to over 400 kcals over.

Still, I do realise why I'm not fat.  I have to try *really* hard to consume the calories I burn off.  Like eating 3 servings of haggs and 3 servings of mashed potato.  ;D

LindaG

« Reply #444 on: 26 January, 2010, 09:30:49 am »
Spoonerskills  ;D ;D

« Reply #445 on: 26 January, 2010, 07:22:59 pm »
What was going on today??

Normally I see 3-4 cyclists going the other way on my way to work and 1 occasionally 2 on the way home.

This evening I saw 10 riders. A gang of 4 going the other way and a group of 4 and a group of 2 who blazed past me.

:thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #446 on: 26 January, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »
A few hundred yards into my morning commute I'm wondering why my hands are feeling a bit slippery on the bars.  That's when I noticed that I was wearing only my glove inners.
"Ah bugger it" thinks I, "I'll manage"

Mistake!!!!!

Arrrrgggggggg!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #447 on: 26 January, 2010, 08:19:17 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #448 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:30:26 am »
Spoonerskills  ;D ;D

?

That's from this:-

I used my Spoonerskills to spot the nice cosy wind shielding bus shelter

Haven't you heard of the mythical Mr Spooner? The legends tell that he roams the land endlessly on a silent wheeled chariot. There is a darker side to the tales; if you intend waiting for a bus in a rural location late at night, then in the manner of a child who checks under his bed for monsters, you should approach cautiously and inspect the interior of the shelter with great care lest his prone form is lurking in the shadows.

« Reply #449 on: 27 January, 2010, 05:42:37 am »
 ;D  ;D  ;D