Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2488538 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #750 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:46:04 am »
Headwind all the way in, which made "cold" feel like "very cold"

I was undertaken by a 4x4 just before a mini roundabout

But overall good because this is the 5th commute in a row I have not been rained on!

« Reply #751 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:56:14 am »
My brake broke :(

With a kershproingklunk from the vicinity of the lever.

And now the rear disk is jammed on, and I don't know anything at all about how to fix disk brakes.

Fortunately this happened about 10 minutes walk from a friend-wivva-garage's house.  Well, nearer 20 minutes if you're carrying a bike with a wheel that won't go round.  And there was a garage with a cashpoint fairly close to the bus stop so I could go and extract bus fare money.  So it only took me an hour and a half to get to work today....
Is this the new bike?

Sounds like the brake cable outer has slipped it's retainer in the brake lever.

Where did you get the bike from? If it's the new one and from a shop, drop it into the shop to sort out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #752 on: 03 March, 2010, 10:06:40 am »
Tis indeed the new bike.  And yes, I need to call the shop and sort out taking it in.  Fortunately my friend-wivva-garage has said that she'll drop it off at my house (a convenient 5 minute walk/10 minute carrying a bike) tonight or can take it straight to the LBS on Friday - otherwise it would be a loooong walk.

Having just about got the hang of dealing with the p-word, brake fettling was on my list of 'things to start learning' for this week.  Clearly Valencia has a different timetable to me...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #753 on: 03 March, 2010, 10:24:25 am »
I am currently commuting on Dawes Discovery 101 (because indestructible commuting bike is broken.)   Now I plan to commit bikicide on Dawes 101 so maintenance has been a little lax.  I start my commute this morning, I hear a car behind me and as I am in a good mood I decided to pull over to the side on to an area of hard mud.  Bike does not stop, the brake blokes have finally given up and I roll forward a couple of feet on to soft mud and sink 20cms.  I continue onward having some very unsafe stops behind cars as traffic dictates.  As I approach work I carry on past and into Bridgend to the local bike shop in Five Bells lane. I buy some brake pads and return back down the busy road to the industrial estate.  This was particularly alarming, descending in traffic that stops every so often, requiring lane changes is very dodgy without braking. I arrived at work and will make my bike safe lunchtime.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #754 on: 03 March, 2010, 06:23:04 pm »
Saw an abandoned BSO  with snapped cables and a pringled back wheel in the Innocent Tunnel. A bloke  helped me get it to the tunnel entrance (Southside end) but I couldn't get it any further on my own and I don't care enough to go back for it to drag it to the police station to hand it in.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #755 on: 03 March, 2010, 06:58:29 pm »
Startled the same 3 deer this morning that I did yesterday.
I didn't see the Barn Owl that I did last night though.
Horrendous head wind all the way home.  Great training.

I now have 3 dead badgers on my route.  All three looked great specimens on the way to work.  One had been totally crunched by the time I came home.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #756 on: 04 March, 2010, 06:12:33 am »
Stunning sunrise (yesterday) over East London- I even took a detour up a hill just to get a better look.  And the early morning moon has been just amazing.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #757 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:27:23 am »
Last night I witness some of London's finest (read worst) driving.  Riding through Harlington at a fair old lick (read ~20mph) a Daewoo ShoeBox started to overtake me, then it swerved left into my path, braked and indicated to turn right.....

By the time it was STARTING to turn right I was already 50 yds ahead of it, having passed it as it was indicating.... GAH!

This morning was better, chilly, a bit of a headwind for part of the way, but nothing dramatic.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #758 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:41:18 am »
Startled the same 3 deer this morning that I did yesterday.
I didn't see the Barn Owl that I did last night though.
Horrendous head wind all the way home.  Great training.

I now have 3 dead badgers on my route.  All three looked great specimens on the way to work.  One had been totally crunched by the time I came home.

Mmmmm..... badger curry.   :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #759 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:51:39 am »
Blimmin' London drivers.  I was in the right hand lane of the New Kent Road coming up to the Elephant RAB, to head round to the lovely bus and bicycle lane up to St G's Circus.  Little blue car behind me has to get past at all costs, so skims my left elbow as I pull out onto the roundabout.  OK, fair enough, I'm sure you're a lot more important than me.

Then I'd just pootled out of the northern end of St G's Circus when, blow me down, the same little blue car, which has had to take the longer way round past St G's Cathedral, is hurtling up behind me and, doing about 40mph at a guess, skims my right elbow at the same time as giving me a delightful "poop poop" on its hooter.

Naturally, I caught up with little blue car by the Old Vic and, all polite like, asked what that was all about.  Window was compliantly wound down, and driver says, accusingly:

"I nearly knocked you off your bike!"

I am speechless.

"There was a bus coming the other way and I had to pull in", she adds, as if that might help matters.

I remain speechless.

"You shouldn't have been in the middle of the road"

I am beginning to think angry thoughts.  Is she going to tell me I don't pay road tax?  Or that I'm not even wearing a helmet? 

But I remember that cycling to work is generally quite pleasant and, although this morning was cold, it was bright and dry and I wouldn't want to spoil it all by getting angry.

And then I get a bit angry.  Frustratingly, I am unable to sustain the anger because the motons were all stuck in a queue and I was free to roll. 

By the time I was on Waterloo Bridge, my head was full of sunny thoughts again, such as "I'm getting to work nice and early, which means I'll be able to waste a bit of time sharing my commuting experiences with the good folk of YACF.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #760 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:23:51 am »
I got fed up with a load of potholes and the "ploughed" feel of a bit of cycle path shortcut I use most days on the way in to work.

As you know I don't approve of cyclepaths in general but shortcuts through the park instead of going up the A38 are worth cutting speed for and dodging the odd pedestrian/ pile of broken bottles is generally worth it

At the end of the park the route cuts through a car park and this is the problem area.
Initially I reported it to "fillthathole" website.  But this resulted in the highways agency saying that "it's not our problem".  I did a bit of trawling for email addresses and reported it directly to the parks dept.
Over the last week or so there have been at least three lots of work done on the holes.

The rough surface and the potholes have only been patched and they need resurfacing..but it is 100% better than it was

A nice email was sent to the parks dept

« Reply #761 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:24:48 am »
I fell off.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #762 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:25:30 am »
You OK, Martin?

Edit: Missed this :-[.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #763 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:26:33 am »
You OK, Martin?
I think so, just bashed about a bit. Bruised, now stiffening up.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #764 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:34:44 am »
Last nights checklist before leaving work:

Fill waterbottle - check
Put shirt, kecks and socks into pannier - check
Put mobile, wallet and Oyster card into pannier - check
Keys into zippy pocket in jacket - check

[wavy lines]

15mins into ride home

[/wavy lines]

Reach down and grab a handful of thin air... 3 or 4 more times on the journey, reach down and find that there is still no waterbottle - bugger! Where is it?!

Come in this morning (by train - Red Cross training tonight) to find full waterbottle standing to attention in the middle of my desk. :facepalm:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #765 on: 04 March, 2010, 06:49:39 pm »
Onto the Wellington Arch bit in the middle of Hyde Park Corner following  a cyclist on a Bianchi who's wearing a duffle coat with furry hood off his/her head just where it would obsure looking back; with a helmet dangling from some part of the coat; holding a large cup of coffee; seemingly riding no-handed while fiddling about with coffee. Pretty confident dude.

He/She then proceeds, ignoring the red don't cross toucan light, straight across the traffic setting off round Hyde Park . He/She made it across two of the four lanes of traffic which stopped for the nutter before being blocked by the (quite reasonably) moving traffic. Eventually he/she made it to the traffic island, where he/she waited for the green man before starting to cross the last bit of road...and dropped the coffee cup in the road. Then he/she dismounted picked up the cup and walked across.

Very close to winning a Darwin Award.

gordon taylor

« Reply #766 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:49:58 pm »
This morning's commute was wonderful, with a stunning red sunrise and some zip in my legs.

Coming home was a miserable slog. I don't really know why.  :-\

« Reply #767 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:17:44 pm »
Ditto to the miserable slog.  Long week.  Headwind.  Cold wind.  I even tried to mix up the route a bit but still couldn't really escape it.

« Reply #768 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »
First homebound commute with no lights.  Left work at 5.00 and needed sunglasses (which I have) and some sort of peaked cap (which I don't have).

Could have done without the windchill or the headwind mind...

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #769 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »
I took dearly beloved's bike (a Claud Butler Urban Comfort that fits him - who is a good 6" taller than me)  because the headset had gone all loose and wobbly so my plan was to take it with me after work to the rescue for some assisted fettling.  So much of today's commuting was done whilst pushing.

Once the headset was sorted, we also addressed the issue of the brakes (I must have words about cleaning rims at least once a century - totally trashed blocks!) and then I hammered the seat down as far as it would go and rode it home.  Good lord, front suspension is weird!  And it felt like when you're a little kid and you borrow your mum's/elder sibling's bike and have that 'oh crikey, will my foot reach the floor' wobbly feeling every time you stop.

It was rather nice (in a slightly riding on blancmange way) once I got going, which confirmed that I really need to put Valencia's seat up a bit before I take her out again.  I am also now totally sure that my bike is much nicer than his :)

« Reply #770 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:39:14 am »
Oh, I forgot to mention a curious incident the other day at the southern end of Waterloo Road.  A pedestrian started to scamper across the road at a pelican crossing when the red man was shining.  A double decker bus was approaching at speed and gave him a blast of the horn.  Pedestrian stumbles and falls and, thank goodness, the bus manages to stop with a couple of feet to spare.  Pedestrian gets to his feet, revealing what may have been his problem: jeans that were so low slung that they (a) had probably prevented him from running without falling and (b) were round his ankles when he stood up.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #771 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:48:03 am »
Managed to have an argument with Emily about exactly why I have, yet again, bought a bike that is too large for me :facepalm:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #772 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:00:52 am »
I overtook another cyclist this morning!
It MUST be spring... :)

« Reply #773 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:06:12 am »
Managed to have an argument with Emily about exactly why I have, yet again, bought a bike that is too large for me :facepalm:

I suggest you invest in a rack. I'm sure Emily would be happy to assist the turning of the winches.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #774 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:58:26 am »
Weird thing happened today.  I had a good ride in.  No tailwind, but I still managed to post my first ride this year over 23kph, which is good for me.  My average for the year is still below 20kph, suffering from the heavy weather.

So it was a good ride, despite what I think might be an emerging chest infection.  But I did have a bit of a blip, struggling up - it's embarrassing to relate - Upper Tooting Road, at less than 20kph.  Part way up, I felt a friendly hand on my back, and found I was being pushed by another cyclist.  He just gave me a helpful shove, and then went past.  I couldnt help giggling.  When we stopped at the lights, he pulled down the buff from his face, and smiled. 'It's Friday.' he said, 'We're all struggling.'

He was a tall, thin man, a wee bit older than me, riding a not-new-but-well-kept Specialized Allez.  It may be someone on here, motivated by my yacf jersey.  I don't know.  I can imagine a lot of people would take it the wrong way, or just be so startled that they wobble.  But it was kind and well-received.
Getting there...