Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487278 times)

NickM

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #775 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:04:28 am »
I've given up using the cycle path through Hyde Park as I'm travelling against the general flow of traffic (bloody cyclists are a bloody menace!) so these days I use South Carriage Drive. That's fine; it takes me where I want to go (towards Hammersmith via Kensington), but it always knackers me out and I don't know why.

I get onto the road from William St/Albert gate and turn left (West). I always try to remind myself not to try and peg it too hard because I know I'm going to get knackered if I do.

Excuses:
1. It's a false flat. No, really, it is. It looks flat, but it goes distinctly uphill and at a tougher gradient than you'd think.
2. There's no shelter from the prevailing easterly tornado (okay, okay, zephyr).
3. I've just pegged it up Sloane St in a bid to outrun a cyclicidal cabbie and so am knackered anyway.
4. On South Carriage Drive there is very little traffic and no traffic lights to slow me down so I am going faster than I normally would anyway ( I like this excuse).
5. The road surface is rubbish and frequently covered in horse sh…
6. I haven't had any breakfast and have simply run out of fuel.

I do always try to pluck up some brio and look a bit manly as I wheeze past the guards outside Hyde Park Barracks, but this is usually the point where I'm feeling it worst. I'd like to be in the drops, but usually I'm sitting up trying to get some air into my lungs.

I guess it's a combination of all those things (plus I'm not as fit as I think), but it hits me harder than I think it's going to every time.

« Reply #776 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:16:37 am »
Pedestrian gets to his feet, revealing what may have been his problem: jeans that were so low slung that they (a) had probably prevented him from running without falling and (b) were round his ankles when he stood up.

I always have to resist the urge to point and laugh at those types with their underwear on display. And it's not like I'm some old bat either, it just looks stupid.

I can imagine a lot of people would take it the wrong way, or just be so startled that they wobble.  But it was kind and well-received.

It would have startled the hell out of me, I'd have done a wobble all right! But a nice kind gesture nonetheless.

I thought it was very nice of the cyclist in front to point out particularly nasty potholes to me the other day. I always have a bit of an urge to do this, but any cyclist not used to riding in groups might wonder what the hell I was doing...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #777 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:24:59 am »
On Tuesday I cycled to my school at noonish. Whilst wheeling along Chelmsford Avenue, in Westcliff, I noticed a large number of very deep pot-holes and made a mental note (I often make mental notes but then lose them later) that they really were quite serious and I ought to contact Fill That Hole.

When I returned a little over an hour later, they had been filled in.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #778 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:27:45 am »
Wow, psychic pothole reporting!  Wowbagger, you are astonishing.
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #779 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:35:15 am »
Yesterday evening, loverly

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #780 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:42:24 am »
Crikey, there's some camber on that road! :o
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #781 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:49:12 am »
My commute in takes me onto the A3 to Clapham for the last leg of the journey, and it is normally very civilized. However around Stockwell tube there are around 2 or 3 buses blocking the bus lane, I swear to God that they are permanently parked there. I obviously signal right to get into the other lane, making sure that I have room and time to splistream into the traffic. Little red astra nearly clips my elbow as he passes me. He then starts to take issue with the blue car in front of him, and then by the time I catch up to the next set of traffic lights he is now having a barney with wvm. Traffic lights flip to green, twat in red car is still arguing, so I shout, very loudly, 'Moooooovvvvvve'. He looks back in his mirror to be faced by the most evillest Paddington bear stare from myself. Apart from that, its was a pleasant ride in this morning  :thumbsup:

« Reply #782 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:16:41 am »
It's the weather.

So nice to be riding in daylight and without sleeting rain. OK, there was the moment this morn when I thought I had a flat (rear end going squirrelly), then realised it was black ice, but, still . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #783 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:02:59 am »
Lack of proper hat this morning = very cold ears.

A beautiful morning for it nevertheless, I was trying to time it so I could catch the lights on red and gaze longingly down Longdendale and over to the Snake but missed it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #784 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:05:48 am »
Nice, sunny, cold, relatively fast (considering i was carrying an extra 20kg of stuff today)...

BUT my first ever commuting visitation.  Lucky they visited me about 300 yds from work so I walked the rest and have now fixed it in the warmth and comfort of my office, rather than at the road side :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #785 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:18:39 am »
Cold, sunny, cold, fast, cold, fun and cold.

Except for falling off on the ice, it was a really good ride.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #786 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:03:21 pm »
Air temp 19*c.no wind.sunny.no traffic.......no problem ;)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #787 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:37:14 pm »
My face nearly froze off this morning. I had to stop to adjust my buff, which I was glad of. I nearly didn't wear it today.

I'm not confident enough on fixed to adjust it while I'm moving.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #788 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »
Air temp 19*c.no wind.sunny.no traffic.......no problem ;)

And * means?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #789 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:20:27 pm »
it means I can't find a little"0" to represent degrees. IT philistine you see :-[

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #790 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »
I often cut & paste symbols I need from wikipedia: Degree symbol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #791 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »
19[sup]o[/sup] comes out as 19o
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris N

« Reply #792 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:24:43 pm »
Alt + 0186 [on the keypad, Windows] = º

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #793 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:26:33 pm »
  :thumbsup: Greenbank & Chris n

Chris N

« Reply #794 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:31:16 pm »
It was about -4º when I left home today, but a beautifully crisp, clear morning.  Could see all the way to Cannock Chase and the power station at Rugely - steam from the cooling towers heading straight up.  Bit icy in places, but ok.

Lovely to be out on the bike too, first ride for a week.

« Reply #795 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:30:01 pm »
It was about -4º when I left home today,

Fahrenheit or Celcius?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #796 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
It was "ski mitts with liners and a scarf and a hat" cold this morning
That's Celsius

In other news I took the easier route to work as my knees preferred this after 250km yesterday

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #797 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »
Alt + 0186 [on the keypad, Windows] = º

I always use Alt + 0176...
°

I thought Alt + 0176 was the degree sign and Alt + 0186 was an exponent of 0 BICBW.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #798 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:58:21 pm »
Alt + 0186 gives me º, which wikipedia says is an ordinal indicator.

Alt + 0176 gives me °, which wikipedia says in the degree symbol.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Chris N

« Reply #799 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:59:26 pm »
Fahrenheit or Celcius?

Kelvin, I think.  It was really frickin' cold.

I thought Alt + 0176 was the degree sign and Alt + 0186 was an exponent of 0 BICBW.

You're right Helly - Alt + 0186 is a Masculine Ordinal Indicator, apparently.