Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462764 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1325 on: 11 May, 2010, 10:10:44 am »
In the 20mph zone, doing 20mph and a Mercedes pulls out from a side turning just as I am there.  Naturally I accellerate to stay ahead but the bloody Merc breaks the speed limit to go past me.  So it tries to cut me up and then breaks the speed limit

Obviously a heart surgeon on a mercy mission to save a small child.  He is the only one in the world who can do it.  And he is in love with the childs mother.

Might I offer another alternative Vorspers?

Could he have possibly been an irate cop? He's just had a 'run in' with his lieutenant, handed over his badge 'n' gun, his 'live in' girlfriend wants him to sober up, and the only one who understands him is his dawg.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1326 on: 11 May, 2010, 10:18:20 am »
I got up late, as I'm going to an evening meeting today.  I was intending to aim to be at my desk about 11.  But I was just getting sorted when Butterfly realised that doing the laundry and the washing up (must have a word with the boys about that) before going out was making her late.  So we rode together to her work.  

For the second day in a row, I experienced a completely pointless and dangerous overtake approaching the back of the queue to the RAB at Mitcham Common.  I know I'm a large fellow, but, if a driver can't see past me to the car/lorry in front, then either I'm bigger than I thought (in which case they should be more cautious and give me some damn space) or else their eyesight is so awful they shouldn't be on the road.  Either way, their judgment is below par for being allowed to continue breathing.

That aside, it was a good ride, and, after leaving Butterfly at work, I rode into Wandsworth, across to Battersea, then crossed the Thames at Chelsea Bridge.  Pretty busy there - I suppose Albert Bridge is still closed.

I then found that the Tour de Commute had entered the crucial Etape d'Embankment.  My aggregate was +7 -5 :-[  Lots of fast lads. But one should be DQ'd for RLJing ;D

I was happy to be avoiding Vauxhall, Oval, Stockwell & E&C, though. :thumbsup:

I trundled along, conscious that I didn't want to go under the tunnel, so I turned off for Blackfriars Bridge after a polluted cutting.  I didn't take it, though, as I was aiming for Southwark Bridge (which I somehow missed the turn for :-[ ).  Hey ho - I came south over London Bridge and through the back streets, taking the time for four circuits of the local square, which added 1km and put my average speed up to 20kph, after it had been adversely affected by congestion in Wandsworth and the City.

An extra hour of sleep, the long way round, and still at work for ten. :)
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1327 on: 11 May, 2010, 11:15:34 am »
See today: pavement cyclist, rucksack in left hand, sprog on rear pannier rack.

Sprog was wearing a magic hat.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1328 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:47:28 pm »
In the 20mph zone, doing 20mph and a Mercedes pulls out from a side turning just as I am there.  Naturally I accellerate to stay ahead but the bloody Merc breaks the speed limit to go past me.  So it tries to cut me up and then breaks the speed limit

Obviously a heart surgeon on a mercy mission to save a small child.  He is the only one in the world who can do it.  And he is in love with the childs mother.

Might I offer another alternative Vorspers?

Could he have possibly been an irate cop? He's just had a 'run in' with his lieutenant, handed over his badge 'n' gun, his 'live in' girlfriend wants him to sober up, and the only one who understands him is his dawg.

He didn't look like a cop.  But these loner types who are only interested in justice (and not sucking up to the man) don't do they?  I expect as well as being in a irate mood he was on his way to bust some drug dealers who wear backwards baseball hats

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1329 on: 11 May, 2010, 02:23:17 pm »
I suppose Albert Bridge is still closed.

Albert Bridge is closed until August, August 2011.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #1330 on: 11 May, 2010, 05:15:28 pm »
I was following a 'racing' cyclist with all the gear and the calf muscles to go with it around Regents Park perimiter. I was slightly concerned at the cyclist's lack of rearward looking prior to moving out past the occasional parked car etc. but it looked like she had years of experience and I wondered if she had feng-shui type situational awareness.

Turned out that, if she had, she'd left it at home as, when we got into a stop-start moment behind some traffic, she misjudged a vehicle moving and also the difference between cycling at a crawl and being stationary with a resulting topple sideways due to staying clipped in.

Gave a chap on the pavement a good opportunity to gasp and help the maiden in rueful un-distress up.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1331 on: 12 May, 2010, 01:30:35 pm »
Got tail-ended by a school-run mum.  Fortunately (1) impact was low-speed and (2) I wasn't school-running this morning, otherwise the impact would have been with the rear of the tag-along as opposed to my rear mudguard.

No damage that can't be remedied by replacing a couple of cable ties, apart from to (a) my dignity [shouting though not sweary] and (b) my liberal conscience for even daring to think about wondering whether or not the driver's niqab might in any way have compromised her vision ...  :-\ :-[

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1332 on: 13 May, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »
On Tuesday night I had to stop and phone the fire brigade on my way home through Bingham.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1333 on: 14 May, 2010, 02:37:45 am »
It was probably a bad idea to just wear shorts and a short sleeved jersey today, now it's something like 4 to 5 °C out, even with arm warmers, it was a bit chilly cycling home.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1334 on: 14 May, 2010, 10:26:06 am »
Yesterday, I saw a grinning loon from Delaune CC, ripping up the road on his lovely Condor Ti bike.  I caught up with him at the lights, and commented on how nice it was, and that he seemed to be really enjoying it.  He said he was off out for a three hour training ride after work, and was really looking forward to it.  He then sped off, still smiling :)

Funnily enough, I passed another Ti Condor just a little further in.

This morning, we commuted in with TGL.  It was far too early for a teenage lad.  He might wake up later on. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1335 on: 15 May, 2010, 10:42:20 am »
Several of my minor commuting roads have been resurfaced with chippings.  Made for several slower sections last week due to the amount of excess chippings before the roadsweeper was deployed later in the week.
Still enjoyed 200 miles at an average of 17.6 mph for the week.  Chuffed with that.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1336 on: 15 May, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
Fastest commute of the year yesterday.... 2h06 for 35 miles/2500ft. 16.25mph average. Slow, I know, but not bad for a heavy, fat old git...
Now I am thoroughly knackered  :D

« Reply #1337 on: 15 May, 2010, 12:50:33 pm »
Fastest commute of the year yesterday.... 2h06 for 35 miles/2500ft. 16.25mph average. Slow, I know, but not bad for a heavy, fat old git...
Now I am thoroughly knackered  :D

Add that to your excessive climbing though and it makes my undulating route look much slower  ;D

« Reply #1338 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:26:25 am »
This overtake from a police car:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DXnH8hjjgbw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DXnH8hjjgbw&rel=1</a>

Unamused!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1339 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:46:00 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DXnH8hjjgbw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DXnH8hjjgbw&rel=1</a>

Unamused!!

Holy crap.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1340 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:05:42 am »
I had a good commute today.  The motons seem to have tidied themselves into standing queues, and the rest of the roads were comparatively empty.  I was a bit late setting off this morning, and rode half way with Butterfly, then tried to zoom the rest of it.  Got my average up a bit, and was in work in time, but at my desk a few minutes after nine. :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #1341 on: 17 May, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »

YouTube
            - 20100515 close police overtake

Unamused!!

I had one like that from an ambulance this morning as well. I was doing my lifesaver prior to moving hard right to cross the road on a red traffic light and spotted the lights. He then lit up the siren and blasted through the junction flat out. On the other side of the junction he came very (and I mean very) close to brushing up against a car which had just completed a right turn from the side road.
There were kids on my side of the road about half way across the road. If they'd started to cross from the centre they'd have been toast.

I can't think of any situation that needs such excessive speed on public roads. The risks must outweigh the benefits.

« Reply #1342 on: 17 May, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »

Unamused!!

I would seriously let them see that one Mikey.  They had a lot more room to go out onto the offside of their lane so that was poor driving.

« Reply #1343 on: 17 May, 2010, 01:57:18 pm »
I would seriously let them see that one Mikey.  They had a lot more room to go out onto the offside of their lane so that was poor driving.

Cheers mate!  Out of respect for coppers, I'm going to do this one on the quiet.  I have a neighbour who's a copper who knows someone in the Catford dog section I think this vehicle is from, and they'll have a quiet word.

« Reply #1344 on: 17 May, 2010, 03:33:31 pm »

Cheers mate!  Out of respect for coppers, I'm going to do this one on the quiet.  I have a neighbour who's a copper who knows someone in the Catford dog section I think this vehicle is from, and they'll have a quiet word.

Good idea.  There are already loads of zealots our for their pound of flesh.  Your idea is great.  But if they fail the attitude test then you could always refer it onwards. 

« Reply #1345 on: 17 May, 2010, 03:38:26 pm »
I can't think of any situation that needs such excessive speed on public roads...

I've seen quite a few scarily fast police blues & twos of late. Obviously these are trained drivers and I'm sure if I was the unfortunate person waiting for help I'd want them to be going as quickly as safely possible, but I do sometimes wonder about the risks being taken. For instance, there is little account given for those of us who have poor hearing and / or poor ability to tell where sounds are coming from.

Tim

« Reply #1346 on: 17 May, 2010, 03:46:52 pm »
My back's been feeling stiff and twingey for about half a week and meant I sat around eating cake in the cafe whilst others were biking yesterday.

This morning went to the gym to work on my knee, then got straight on the SMGT. My back feels functional and flexible again. Woo for HPVelotechnik ergonomics.

« Reply #1347 on: 17 May, 2010, 04:19:37 pm »
I've seen quite a few scarily fast police blues & twos of late. ...

I reckon I have an emergency vehicle pass me in one direction or the other about once a day on average, on my commute (mainly because of the five miles or so of the A23 I use every day).

Mostly they're pretty good, and you get lots of warning and lots of clearance (where they can).  Obviously given enough warning and the possibility of doing it, I'll get entirely out of their way on the pavement if possible.

Occasionally they can be a little less than perfect, the last one was when I had heard the siren some way off, but then it went quiet.  I assumed that they had turned off, stopped, or the emergency had been cancelled and they'd reverted to normal bimbling mode.

A short while later the siren started up again right behind me.  It was so damned loud I almost came off the bike.  Kicking the siren on just before overtaking seems bad form to me (and they would have seen me far before that, it was a straight road, and I had my Dinotte rear light, and a Cateye TL-TL1100 light on).  I suspect part of it was keeping the siren's use to a minimum after dark, but it was sub-optimal behaviour.

Still, as others have said, they do have a justification for trying to get where they need to be as fast as possible, and I think their accident rate is pretty low, especially given the environment and manner in which they have to drive.  (eg Accidents involving Ambulances have an average fatality rate of just over 6 a year between 1999 and 2004, vs 3201 fatalities from road traffic accidents in 2005[1]).

Footnote [1]: Unfortunately I think the figures for Ambulances relate to any accident involving an Ambulance, not just when using "Blue & Twos".  Likewise, it would be better if the number of fatalities was quoted vs distance travelled under these conditions, but I don't think anywhere near enough of this sort of information is recorded and/or available.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1348 on: 17 May, 2010, 05:03:14 pm »
I can't think of any situation that needs such excessive speed on public roads...

I've seen quite a few scarily fast police blues & twos of late. Obviously these are trained drivers and I'm sure if I was the unfortunate person waiting for help I'd want them to be going as quickly as safely possible, but I do sometimes wonder about the risks being taken. For instance, there is little account given for those of us who have poor hearing and / or poor ability to tell where sounds are coming from.

This was at the junction between Tooting Bec Road and Dr Johnsons Avenue
tooting bec road - Google Maps

At the time, there were kids with parents on the crossing, just about to get to the central refuge, there were bikes on the right, just about to cross the road and there were two lanes of traffic queued at the lights. The ambulance went to the right of the central reservation flat out. Anyone who'd entered the junction would have been hit very, very hard.

« Reply #1349 on: 17 May, 2010, 05:06:33 pm »
I usually encounter emergency vehicles several times on each commute, but until now have never had an issue.  I'd rate that overtake as bad as a once a year incident, purely in terms of closeness and speed.