Author Topic: Will Cav be OffSki?  (Read 9581 times)

Toady

Re: Will Cav be OffSki?
« Reply #50 on: 05 September, 2012, 09:08:59 pm »

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #52 on: 08 September, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »
The Telegraph article mentions a possible move to Omega Pharma Liquigas. Now I'm totally confused. (Probably an error)

Wherever he ends up, I'm sure our Mark will gush effusively, in his endearingly narcissistic, insecure way  ;), about 'this is the kind of team set-up which feels perfect for me, and is my natural home' etc!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Will Cav be OffSki?
« Reply #53 on: 09 September, 2012, 11:06:10 am »
The current liquigas team have new sponsorship. Something like brixia I think it was.

« Reply #54 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:42:03 pm »
The Telegraph article mentions a possible move to Omega Pharma Liquigas. Now I'm totally confused. (Probably an error)

Wherever he ends up, I'm sure our Mark will gush effusively, in his endearingly narcissistic, insecure way  ;), about 'this is the kind of team set-up which feels perfect for me, and is my natural home' etc!

Really? Never struck me that way.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #55 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:49:22 pm »
All this talk about the financial stuff - is it really up to Dave Brailsford personally like the press make out? I would have thought $ky would have something to say about all that...

I suppose Sky might be happy for him to go - it would save them a fortune in wages over the next 2 years!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #56 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:49:35 pm »
It just describes a certain fragility he has, that comes across to me when he's interviewed. I was using it in the analytic sense and didn't mean to give the impression I think he's a vain, selfish a*sehole, as some might understand the word. We all as human beings have a bit of it to be honest, but admittedly it wasn't a necessary comment. So apols if anyone took issue.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #57 on: 10 September, 2012, 08:29:35 am »
Lol, not taking issue, I just didn't think him particularly "self regarding" - well no more than most  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #58 on: 16 September, 2012, 09:23:21 pm »
Just seen a brief interview on BBC News 24 after his win today and he was asked if he's leaving Sky. He hesitated and said something like "I might be". I got the distinct impression that there was a real possibility he could be persuaded to stay, and that it wasn't just an attempt to evade answering.

« Reply #59 on: 17 September, 2012, 12:15:27 am »
I wouldn't be disappointed if he did, DB appears to be handling things as capably as ever so i don't think Cav would suffer from a move.
Hats off to him for showing enough modesty to be a bottle carrier during the TdF this year, that really was great to see, but wouldn't it make Sky an even more effective team chasing GC on Grand Tours if they had another two strong all-rounders rather than a sprinter and his helper? 

Might be a better way to seek to consolidate this years TdF if you had 3 or 4 guys with a chance of holding a decent place on GC, especially if they were credible stage winners - if you had Bradders/Froome placed on GC you could send EBH or G up the road for the stage win, and/or time on GC, and still have enough strength to maintain main GC.

Note to self, stop saying GC.  :-*

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #60 on: 17 September, 2012, 10:13:32 am »
Didn't hear any gossip about him leaving when I was "inside" the ToB yesterday. Heard plenty of other gossip though.
a great mind thinks alike

fuzzy

« Reply #61 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »
Didn't hear any gossip about him leaving when I was "inside" the ToB yesterday. Heard plenty of other gossip though.

Ooh, you rotten tease  ;D

« Reply #62 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »
You'll have to go over to the Tour of Britain thread for a bit of JT's gossip. 

fuzzy

« Reply #63 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »
Righto then.

« Reply #64 on: 02 October, 2012, 08:21:22 am »
Off he goes....

Cycling Weekly
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #65 on: 02 October, 2012, 11:13:32 am »
So Cav is off, probably to OPQS. And without a buy out of his contract, financially in any case. I wonder what favours Sky will call in in return for the waived fee.. My guess is that there will be far more to this than meets the eye.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #66 on: 02 October, 2012, 11:16:16 am »
And it looks like Bernie s staying, which is interesting.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #67 on: 02 October, 2012, 11:20:28 am »
So Cav is off, probably to OPQS. And without a buy out of his contract, financially in any case. I wonder what favours Sky will call in in return for the waived fee.. My guess is that there will be far more to this than meets the eye.

my thoughst too.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #68 on: 02 October, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
And it looks like Bernie s staying, which is interesting.

A good classics rider and Sky need to improve their showing in the classics. And probably fed up of being minder to the moody little Manxman.

my thoughst too.

Remember they didn't pay anything to sign Cav from another team - this isn't football. Plus any wins he gets won't be at the expense of Sky who won't have a top-level sprinter and will be aiming for GC rather than stage wins. Cav will also be one of the highest earners on the team so cancelling his contract isn't as bad as it seems. Plus it keeps him on-side for future Team GB/BC duty.
a great mind thinks alike

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #69 on: 04 October, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »
This is taking too long.
I want to know where he is going already.
C'mon - hurry up!

« Reply #70 on: 04 October, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »
It's clearly going to be OPQS

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #71 on: 05 October, 2012, 12:39:32 pm »
With Cav at OPQS, Greipel at Lotto and Goss at GreenEdge, no wonder Freire has decided it's a good time to retire.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #72 on: 08 October, 2012, 02:44:09 pm »
With Cav at OPQS, Greipel at Lotto and Goss at GreenEdge, no wonder Freire has decided it's a good time to retire.

d.

Not forgetting that new German at Argos-Shimano: Degenkolb.  He is very close to being the finished product.  He has to be slotting in above Goss in the pecking order.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #73 on: 08 October, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »
It makes for a good year when Cav has some decent competition. Cav, Degenkolb, Sagan, Greipel, and on a good day Goss, Farrar, Haedo
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #74 on: 08 October, 2012, 03:34:51 pm »
Not forgetting that new German at Argos-Shimano: Degenkolb.  He is very close to being the finished product.  He has to be slotting in above Goss in the pecking order.

Good point. And I agree - I'd rate him above Goss as a rival to Cav. He just slipped my mind before.

Farrar seems to have lost his edge. But he's had some rotten luck this year - wonder if his self-confidence is shot?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."