Author Topic: How much of a minority am I?  (Read 6407 times)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
Re: How much of a minority am I?
« Reply #50 on: 28 September, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »
........ an awful lot of tqt.

Good link. It has provided me with just the name I need (pshed) to describe the construction in which I keep my bikes.
Which btw is made from some old conservatory doors, side panels and a bit of the glass roof.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

LEE

« Reply #51 on: 31 October, 2013, 11:03:40 am »
If I had a house with "a wine cellar" I'd soon be forced to rename it to "a cellar".

Similarly I don't understand the need for those gadgets that reseal an unfinished bottle of wine.  Are they supposed to be ironic?

« Reply #52 on: 31 October, 2013, 12:28:03 pm »
If I had somewhere to keep wine with the right temperature stability I would. I'm rather fond of a decent wine and our local shop has a  dimly lit section at the end of which I'm rather fond. As it is I don't get more than a dozen bottles in at once.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »
Just been reading the wine section in the Graun, anyone got a share and buy from the wine society? Looks quite good....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #54 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »
Just been reading the wine section in the Graun, anyone got a share and buy from the wine society? Looks quite good....

Also have a look at Berry Brothers if acquiring a nice selection to drink/sell is your thing. I have had great service from them over the last 10 years with my Cellar Plan.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #55 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:34:10 pm »
Slightly more investment than I am planning, thanks!

« Reply #56 on: 01 November, 2013, 11:15:46 pm »
Waitrose are currently doing what they label "Good Ordinary Claret" for a £5 a bottle. With their current 25% off for 6 bottles or more offer, that makes it £3.75 a bottle.  As it does exactly what it says on the label (don't expect anything great) it represents one of the lowest cost quaffable wines around at the moment.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 06 December, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »
I got my share from the Wine Soc, so today I ordered a case of stuff I wouldn't normally drink (mostly) and 2 bottles of port. Should be a voyage of discovery.

Claret and Bordeaux (didn't buy any this time) - not something I normally buy but no idea if that fits in with the styles we normally drink.

« Reply #58 on: 06 December, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »
I stopped used NakedWines when we had a couple of quite unpleasant bottles from them, now I frequent a local independent wine shop run by Fat Paul*, who plays american blues all day and will happily make an excellent coffee and spend half an hour talking rubbish with me while he picks out a couple of cases of wine every month. Normally nothing more than a tenner, with 10% discount for being a regular.  Hedley Wright of Hitchin, if anyones in t' area.

*he's really not that fat, but it's what he introduced himself to me as...

« Reply #59 on: 12 December, 2013, 11:15:40 pm »
Why not barcode your individual locations and each bottle? Batch scanners are cheapish nowadays and you could quickly update location/bottle changes.

It might be a bit of a faff, but would ease tracking. You could even set alerts for each bottle/type when peak drinking periods approach, for example.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #60 on: 12 December, 2013, 11:26:22 pm »
I've already tested the concept using qr codes reduced to the size that fit on a rack and mobile phone as a reader - that was part of the underlying thought in my mind at the start of this thread. I have in my head a reasonably comprehensive sketch of what the system would look like and how it would work. Doing something about it is something quite different.

« Reply #61 on: 13 December, 2013, 07:51:46 am »
Something like this would make life much easier. Wired ones are even cheaper.

There are plenty of free barcode generating software packages on offer out there.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #62 on: 22 December, 2013, 05:14:26 pm »
I stopped and had a look in the window of our local wine merchant today. He has a breakdown of the costs of a £5 bottle of wine in the window, apparently the the tax on  a bottle in the UK is £2 plus 40p VAT. The moral of the story is that the wine grower after packaging and distribution costs actually gets 13p, which was a bit of a shock for me.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

fuzzy

« Reply #63 on: 23 December, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »
I could write some spreadsheet/database goodness for Ham's 'problem', as I did for my former employer's drug store- that had re-order levels built in. I'd have to want to, though. You just give assets attributes, and sort.

You used to work for Charlie Big Potatoes?

Fuck Me fboab- he's seriously bad news :o