Author Topic: Proper old school greasy spoons  (Read 17634 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Proper old school greasy spoons
« Reply #25 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:57:51 am »
Newtonmore Grill where Steve Carroll August audax events start/finish.

One at Tarvie on the Inverness - Ullapool Road. Rarely stop there, last time I did it was take away only, think the indoor cafe is open again now.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:59:19 am »
I 'grew up' in the Hollies on the A5 between Cannock and Gailey. HQ for many TT's and reliability trials when I started cycling back in the 70s and a regular stop on training/club runs.

Still exists, though not quite so useful for Audaxers nowadays.
http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/truck-stops/the-new-hollies/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ian

« Reply #27 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:11:08 pm »
Paulo's on the Uxbridge Road is one of the best traditional working men's cafes I know.
However they do serve wholemeal bread (on request) and have a coffee machine rather than instant.

Uxbridge Road is rather long. Is this Shepherd's Bush, White City, Acton, Ealing Hanwell, Southall, Hayes, Hillingdon or elsewhere??? ?

I think it's the one between Shepherd's Bush and Acton – I used to go there when I lived just off Askew Road (and boy has that gentrified, it's peak sourdough now, you can't do a shit there without it being artisanal).

I'm pleased to see they still seem to do a 'scaffolder's breakfast' for those that need the calorific support.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #28 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »
If we are counting HUGE mugs of tea, Pete's Eats in Lanberis deserves a mention.

Many years ago there was an old school truck stop at Bassett's Pole.  It is the only place I ever saw a tea pot with two spouts.  It was huge and a burly woman would wave it around over a large tray of mugs until they were all full.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:22:08 pm »
They all seem pretty clean these days and toilets are a lot better than using the car park around the side. I'm not complaining. I'd rather suffer from nostalgia than dysentery.

What are the precise criteria for a greasy spoon these days? I'd go with

1. Menu must have numbered (or occasionally named) breakfasts. With one substitution allowed.
2. Tea should be in white mugs with a proper square teabag floating in it.
3. They should give you an appropriate look if you ask for semi-skimmed milk.
4. Everything should come with chips (except the chip-free breakfast selections to which you can add chips).
5. Toast should arrive looking like someone did a bad job of miniaturizing a mattress.
6. HP sauce. No pretenders.
7. It should be closed by 3pm.
8. They should have a daily special which should occasionally be liver and onions and unaccountably chicken chasseur. With chips.
The Caledonian Cafe in Huddersfield has had liver & onions as its special every day for at least the last 40 years.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #30 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:25:30 pm »
The A41 Truckstop near the Raven in Cheshire is still going.

Does the Red Lodge near Thetford still exist? The Norwich rowing clubs used to stop there on the way back from events in Cambridge and Bedford cause it was one of the few places with a big enough car park for the boat trailers.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #31 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:27:22 pm »
If we are counting HUGE mugs of tea, Pete's Eats in Lanberis deserves a mention.

My breakfast cup of tea comes from a Pete's Eats pint mug
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ian

« Reply #32 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:30:23 pm »
Liver and onions was my most hated food growing up. Chewy, chewy liver and sinewy bits and veins and god-knows-what that got stuck between your teeth. Admittedly, my mother never knowingly undercooks anything. You should see her cook a steak. You'd cry. At least 30 minutes in the pan.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:51:43 pm »
Long Itch Diner.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #34 on: 16 November, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »
Windy beat my to Newtonmoore truckstop.
I was going to suggest Ballinluig, but that doesn't really fit ian's list at all. It is positively posh in comparison...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:29:34 pm »
I 'grew up' in the Hollies on the A5 between Cannock and Gailey. HQ for many TT's and reliability trials when I started cycling back in the 70s and a regular stop on training/club runs.

I hope they've had the cleaners in since the 2007 running of the Cambrian 600.  The toilets were truly memorable inna-Trainspotting-stylee :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
Paulo's on the Uxbridge Road is one of the best traditional working men's cafes I know.
However they do serve wholemeal bread (on request) and have a coffee machine rather than instant.

Uxbridge Road is rather long. Is this Shepherd's Bush, White City, Acton, Ealing Hanwell, Southall, Hayes, Hillingdon or elsewhere??? ?

It's a matter of some debate.  It's clearly in Acton, but aspires to be in Shepherd's Bush.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:40:32 pm »
Are you buying or selling?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:42:34 pm »
Are you buying or selling?

Or in YACF terms, is it the destination of the Silly Commuter Race to breakfast, or the start of the shit-is-that-the-time trek to Paddington?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:46:44 pm »
Yes, I wondered if it was the overnight from oxford brekkie stop.
It is simpler than it looks.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #40 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:57:26 pm »

One at Tarvie on the Inverness - Ullapool Road. Rarely stop there, last time I did it was take away only, think the indoor cafe is open again now.

I was expecting you to say the Butty Bus!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #41 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:59:17 pm »

I was expecting you to say the Butty Bus!

Forgot about the Butty Bus :D

« Reply #42 on: 16 November, 2017, 03:19:23 pm »
Windy beat my to Newtonmoore truckstop.
I was going to suggest Ballinluig, but that doesn't really fit ian's list at all. It is positively posh in comparison...
8 quid for some chicken nuggets!

ian

« Reply #43 on: 16 November, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »

It's a matter of some debate.  It's clearly in Acton, but aspires to be in Shepherd's Bush.

W12 is Shepherd's Bush and W3 is Acton. Them are the rules.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #44 on: 16 November, 2017, 06:48:49 pm »

I hope they've had the cleaners in since the 2007 running of the Cambrian 600.  The toilets were truly memorable inna-Trainspotting-stylee :sick:

Eons ago, I rode the old WCW when I was recovering from a tummy bug. The loos at the Raven Café were too disgusting for me to want risk eating anything cooked there.

« Reply #45 on: 16 November, 2017, 07:17:40 pm »

W12 is Shepherd's Bush and W3 is Acton. Them are the rules.

Another vote here for Paulo's.
Were it closer, I'd be in there more often.
I can recommend The Big Breakfast in Perry Vale.
Local to me, I generally only need say 'The usual, please'.

« Reply #46 on: 16 November, 2017, 07:26:16 pm »
Surprised there are no equivalents left in Chelmo though.  :'(

There may well be some left in Chelmo - just not at my end of town....

Edit: A bit like proper old skool chip shops. They've mostly been replaced with generic fast food joints. The sorts of places where you can get crap fish and chips, a crap burger, a rancid kebab or a microwaved pizza.

There are fortunately two left, but they are both at opposite ends of town.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

ian

« Reply #47 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:55:41 pm »
We even have proper chippies in the jungles of Surrey, the ones that are never open at the times when chips seem like a good idea, have non-brewed condiment and pickled eggs on the counter, wooden forks, and the exotic end of their menu is a burger. They still survive among the ubiquitous kebabaries and fast food foulness. One of my favourite memories of growing up was my gran sending me across the road to the chippie with a bowl to be filled. You took your own. I thought that was normal and everyone had a chip bowl and fish dish.

To be honest, and I know it's heretical, but I like the idea (and smell, of course) of fish and chips more than the actuality. After a couple of mouthfuls you're left dutifully shoveling stodge and grease into your mouth with little of your previous enthusiasm.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #48 on: 16 November, 2017, 09:16:13 pm »
Received wisdom is that turning your chippy into an ethnic food outlet by adding kebabs or Chinese to the menu allows you to open on a Sunday, a day on which chippies are normally banned from trading due to some archaic and no doubt Cromwellian law.  I have no idea if this is really true.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #49 on: 16 November, 2017, 09:28:32 pm »
It's true that they're never open on Sundays and usually closed by 10pm, if not earlier. I have never known why. Surely we shouldn't blame a proper Englishman like Cromwell, this is undoubtedly some kind of anti-British EU law designed to let more foreign food onto our shores. Shame.

I remember some time back when I lived in Sheffalump, taken with idea of fish and chips as I meandered home early one Friday evening so I stopped at the local fish and chip shop. It had already closed – 7.30pm on a Friday evening. In studentland (off Ecclesall Road).

Blimey. Anyway, it had gone the last time I wandered past. Hairdressers, if I recall. That's an entirely different Friday evening, for sure.