Author Topic: Recommend a flash attachment please  (Read 1449 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Recommend a flash attachment please
« on: 29 October, 2023, 04:09:03 pm »
Just that really, general use. I have a Lumix G7. I assume, naively, that all the hot shoes work on whatever camera.

The last flash I bought used AA batteries. That was a long time ago. I've no idea where it is.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Recommend a flash attachment please
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2023, 04:40:10 pm »
If the batteries are still in it you probably don't want to find it.

I'd expect any of the Panny flashes to work.  20 years ago I'd have asked in a camera shop. Oh brave new world!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2023, 05:12:30 pm »
The Panasonic flashes seem rather expensive, and pretty basic specs. And quite big, could make the camera rather top heavy.

I've got a little Meike flash. I've not used it much, but seems quite nice. Something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/MK-320P-Speedlite-Automatic-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B01N4HO0SH/

Or Godox flashes seem quite popular, they have a few compatible with Panasonic. And some with a li-ion battery pack. eg https://godox.com/product-d/V350o.html

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2023, 05:43:05 pm »
As I understand it, any flash should work, but if it's not 'Lumix-compatible' you won't get TTL functions.

For my GX80, I bought 3 'dumb' flashes of different makes in a job lot from Oxfam for £12. 1 of them works, the other 2 don't get triggred by the hotshoe but I imagine that's a fault which has appeared since they were new.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2023, 05:50:49 pm »
As I understand it, any flash should work, but if it's not 'Lumix-compatible' you won't get TTL functions.

You need to know the sync voltage for the flash and the spec for the camera.
Some older flashes will fry modern digital cameras.

There's some info here.

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2023, 08:32:51 am »
Neewer are quite good budget flash guns, godox are better but more expensive.  Would recommend a guide number at least 50 and a tilt/swivel head that fully swivels so you can bounce it off stuff behind / above you.

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2023, 08:49:45 am »
One thing I have found over the years are that flash guns are mostly worth what you pay for them, Neewer/Godox are good value, there is a hierarchy: Cheap flash are available, but a false economy, midrange (eg Neewer) will work well, top end (Metz, Manufacturer own) are the best with the manufacturer's own being the most compatible to the various smarts in the camera.

An investment in a decent flash will stand you in good stead, as you advance photographically, even if you can't see the difference at this stage.

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:26:52 am »
If Metz make a compatible model I personally would choose them. 

Recommend a flash attachment please
« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2023, 12:04:36 pm »
I’ve got an old Yongnuo flash you’re welcome to have a go with. It’s manual, so no auto setting from the camera. Which might be exactly what you don’t want.

I’ve swapped to brighter, rechargeable battery flashes that connect to each other. I could trigger this as a slave, but haven’t in a long time.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2023, 01:32:36 pm »
I have a Nissin flash (D700?) with the Air commander remote trigger. Much cheaper than the Panasonic branded flash and it gives full TTL functionality. Camera is a G85 (I think).

If you have old flashes, get some optical triggers (about a tenner on eBay) and have a play, triggering from another flash (eg the one on your camera with a bit of card stuck to it to deflect direct light). Don't put them on your camera, for reasons stated above.

ETA:
https://www.cameraland.co.uk/nissin-di700-air-flashgun-micro-4-3
https://www.campkinscameras.com/nissin-air-1-commander-four-thirds/
Pen Pusher

« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2023, 10:19:52 am »
I have a Godox TT350 for my Olympus. Its fully Olympus and Panasonic compatible and nice and small. They get great reviews and it works fine for my purposes.

Godox 350 review

Works on re-chargeable AA batteries and has a wireless function so it can be a remote flash or trigger another remote flash.

Make sure you get the Olympus/Panasonic completable version.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2023, 07:46:09 pm »
I like the design of flash units with a hinged flash-head so that you can angle them away from the subject. In a room with a white ceiling, bouncing off the ceiling can make for really effective lighting that looks like daylight (i.e. cool and dispersed). I have a recent Canon unit that works well for this and is extraordinarily good for battery life. Although I shoot Canon, I use the flash in manual mode and so I use it when I'm shooting Olympus too because I iknow I won't need to change the batteries half way through a shoot.