Author Topic: Panoramas  (Read 105050 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Panoramas
« Reply #425 on: 22 December, 2019, 06:03:23 pm »

denside_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #426 on: 27 October, 2020, 10:23:51 pm »
Coire Lagan, Cuillin Ridge, Skye.
Taken from the top of Sgurr Alasdair, the highest peak on the ridge.

Inspired by a phone camera image of Junior up here last week, I dug out some old B/W photos I took back in around 1982.
That would have been my first trip to the Cuillin, with Edinburgh Uni Mountaineering Club.
This is a series of 11 portrait format images I always intended to physically splice into a panorama, but never did.
These  would have been taken on my Olympus OM-1n, 50mm lens. Ilford FP4. Probably microphen developer, but I can't remember. Matt finish, non-rc single grade paper.
Prints a bit dog-eared and foxed now.

So I've scanned them, and used Hugin software to make the panorama instead.
First OKish pass, the geometry is OK, but more work required on the EV matching.

Played with the geometry to make it more 'rectangular', but so far, I'm inclined to leave it with the jaunty profile; it's actually more true to reality.
I may change the projection and 'rectangularise' it a bit later.

I'm reluctant to crop too heavily just to get a pretty rectangle.
That would lose the summit of Sgurr AlasdairThearlaich, the main peak in the photo, and crop the base of the great An Stac scree slopes, which are iconic of the place.

If you look closely, there are 2 hikers on the flat section to the right of Sgurr Thearlaich, just approaching the last climb up to the main summit.

Stage 2 - Initial Control Points - stitch4 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #427 on: 27 October, 2020, 11:03:10 pm »
The black bits can be filled in, content-awarish, negating the need for cropping.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #428 on: 12 February, 2021, 02:03:31 pm »
Finally got around to creating it. Taken at about 1600 on the 31.12.2020, as I was up on the hill hiding the dog away from the fireworks down in the valley.

click for bigger

Here's what it looks like when the valley isn't full of frozen fog and snow. Taken pretty much where you can see second tree, where the car in the pano is heading, same farm.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #429 on: 09 March, 2021, 10:14:39 pm »
Sorting out the images and deleting a load of crap, found some nice pics.  2017 Torres del Paine National park a view from the south side. Was a good trip , went down late in the season only 2 days with rain out of 9 weeks. Missed the last flight out of Puerto Natales, managed to book a cabin on the next Navimag ferry. 

« Reply #430 on: 12 April, 2021, 12:43:12 pm »
South Downs Way.

« Reply #431 on: 12 April, 2021, 01:12:24 pm »
Somewhere on the Ridgeway.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #432 on: 10 May, 2023, 10:51:38 am »

Uig Beach/Sands/Bay on Lewis.

I getting to like this dronie thing. It can take it's own panos, But these are 3-4 photos, created by stacking 5 exposures (that google photos did for me) and then stitched in Image Composite Editor (ICE) (sadly canned) then cropped in GIMP. I think I could get a wee bit better result but that's a learning curve and much more work and not much gain for only watching the result on laptop screen or mobile. Heck I think these could be printed large and still look brilliant
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #433 on: 10 May, 2023, 12:17:34 pm »
Coire Lagan, Cuillin Ridge, Skye.
Taken from the top of Sgurr Alasdair, the highest peak on the ridge.

Inspired by a phone camera image of Junior up here last week, I dug out some old B/W photos I took back in around 1982.
That would have been my first trip to the Cuillin, with Edinburgh Uni Mountaineering Club.
This is a series of 11 portrait format images I always intended to physically splice into a panorama, but never did.
These  would have been taken on my Olympus OM-1n, 50mm lens. Ilford FP4. Probably microphen developer, but I can't remember. Matt finish, non-rc single grade paper.
Prints a bit dog-eared and foxed now.

So I've scanned them, and used Hugin software to make the panorama instead.
First OKish pass, the geometry is OK, but more work required on the EV matching.

Played with the geometry to make it more 'rectangular', but so far, I'm inclined to leave it with the jaunty profile; it's actually more true to reality.
I may change the projection and 'rectangularise' it a bit later.

I'm reluctant to crop too heavily just to get a pretty rectangle.
That would lose the summit of Sgurr AlasdairThearlaich, the main peak in the photo, and crop the base of the great An Stac scree slopes, which are iconic of the place.

If you look closely, there are 2 hikers on the flat section to the right of Sgurr Thearlaich, just approaching the last climb up to the main summit.

Stage 2 - Initial Control Points - stitch4 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Love this - reminds of a more modern David Hockney. Don’t crop it!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #434 on: 25 August, 2023, 01:22:12 pm »
On the lower slopes of the Fell of Barhullion

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur