Author Topic: Paris Roubaix - any tips for spectating - campsites  (Read 2292 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Paris Roubaix - any tips for spectating - campsites
« on: 06 January, 2020, 08:08:41 pm »
Me and Mrs B are heading over in the camper to watch the race on 12th April (Easter Sunday), we can take bikes too. Anyone got any viewing/campsite recommendations. I was hoping to catch a couple of sections of pave.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Paris Roubaix - any tips for spectating - campsites
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2020, 10:14:00 pm »
Sector 4 and 3, Carrefour de l'arbre and Gruson are where it all gets decided. Carrefour is 5* meaning it is pure shite, rutted and crap. Gruson is comparatively nice. Last year we were on Gruson and the winning move unfolded in front of us.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2020, 10:33:39 pm »
If I were spectating I'd try and get on the Arenberg. It'll be busy but I'll bet the sound of a hundred pros going down it as fast as they can jaw-to-jaw would be something else.

Means you are nearby so you can have a crack at it yourself, too!  ;D

You might have a bit of a hoot watching the sportive wallahs doing it the day before also. It would be an excellent place to build up a small collection of dropped keys, tyre levers, pumps etc as they get shaken off the bikes.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2020, 08:33:49 am »
I usually watched a bit more to the north, nearer to Belgian railway stations.
Parking near the cobblesections nearly impossible, there are too many people wanting to do this. So definitively take your bikes. With bikes you can park further away from the mayhem or even if you find a convenient campsite abt 20k from a cobble section cycle the full stretch.
I always cycle the cobble section where I want to watch so I can feel where's the best spot to watch.

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2020, 11:29:59 am »
Only been the once (2014) and got a lift from a friend it their camper. There's a huge field set aside for motorhomes at the village end of the Arenberg Trench, we arrived on the Thursday evening and there was plenty of space, might have still found a spot on Friday, but no chance by Saturday. Plenty going on, cycling and other entertainment, easy walk to the trench, though for the main event you need to get there a couple of hours early for a good spot.