Author Topic: DIY audax.  (Read 1817 times)

DIY audax.
« on: 30 April, 2020, 05:48:27 pm »
Hi folks, I've considered a daft cycling challenge. 8 hours on my rollers, nonstop apart from comfort breaks, say 5 min per hour. Is that fair. My daughter will take a snap on the hour to observe any changes in my physical condition (and mental).
Main reason is because I miss my cycling mates, although I get out at the weekend, this is added variety. Longest so far is 1 hour on rollers.
Is this a hit or miss. Noy keen on Zwift

LMT

Re: DIY audax.
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2020, 08:12:59 pm »
Crack on, why not.

Although even though I've never ridden on rollers I'd be worried about fatigue setting in as the hours tick by and off the back of that coming off? Good luck with it either way.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:49:37 pm »
Do you mean Rollers or Turbo. Rollers requires concentration as you are not fixed, so a twitch of steer can throw you off... or fatigue and loss of concentration.

Whereas on Turbo you are fixed in. I rode a Virtual 200 last week (see Ride for Ryder). I have a Computrainer with simple Programming, rather than internet Zwift or whatever. I ensured I was replicating an Audax ride by checking my HR on the road to match a sensible Audax pace 20-25kph. I was then able to set the appropriate programme and pedal away.

All the best.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2020, 11:13:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
 I mean actual rollers, not a turbo. I'm aware that I may come off due to fatigue and general tiredness. That's part of the challenge. I've come off quite a few times.
The set up is on a piece of plywood on the lawn to soften the fall(s).
Just whirring away on a static turbo didn't appeal.
I will use a HRM to monitor effort, although I've covered enough miles to ride by perceived effort.
Using rollers brings into play balance, and all the micro muscle adjustments that are lost on the turbo.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2020, 10:06:59 am »
Thanks for the replies.
 I mean actual rollers, not a turbo. I'm aware that I may come off due to fatigue and general tiredness. That's part of the challenge. I've come off quite a few times.
The set up is on a piece of plywood on the lawn to soften the fall(s).
Just whirring away on a static turbo didn't appeal.
I will use a HRM to monitor effort, although I've covered enough miles to ride by perceived effort.
Using rollers brings into play balance, and all the micro muscle adjustments that are lost on the turbo.

Good luck !

I've switched to predominantly riding on rollers too recently. The longest I've done is a 90 minute session which comprised of 20 minute chunks of tempo. To maintain concentration I've been trying to keep to arbitrary numbers on my Garmin (cadence, heart rate, power) and to change my hand position every minute. I found that helped. The time goes by fairly quickly, even though I'm not going anywhere, listening to music or watching video. I wonder what that says about me ?!?

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2020, 12:23:42 pm »
No brevet card, but proof of completion? :demon:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2020, 01:09:52 pm »
reading this the thought popped into my head that putting the drive wheel of a one wheel drive trike on rollers might have some advantages
but then I know nothing about rollers
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:38:44 pm »
Do you mean Rollers or Turbo. Rollers requires concentration as you are not fixed, so a twitch of steer can throw you off... or fatigue and loss of concentration.

No problem for Hubert Opperman.  Here travelling on board ship from Australia to Europe for the pro cycling season.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:01:45 pm »
Hadn't thought of proof. Hadn't realised it was required. Might see what strava comes up with

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:42:07 pm »
Distance on rollers can be easy or hard depending on the rollers.

I remember two people who did a 24h ride round Richmond Park, although they stopped a couple of times for refreshments and stuck their bikes on turbos not to waste this time. It was noticeable from the Strava data that the time they were on the turbo they went much faster for a much lower heart rate, so they were benefiting from these easy "miles".

(Of course, the turbo miles shouldn't have counted, but it was all unofficial anyway.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2020, 08:31:13 pm »
Yup - my average ‘speed’ without resistance on the rollers is quite something (50kph on a mixed session for instance). You end up running out of revs in top gear. Doing a ‘distance’ event wouldn’t be very representative of reality.