Author Topic: "Cycle crash injuries treble in 5 years"  (Read 2127 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
"Cycle crash injuries treble in 5 years"
« on: 05 March, 2012, 11:46:18 pm »
I've been sent a scan of an article in today's Evening Standard which is based upon some research carried out by Dr. Joanna Manson, at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel. It seems that in 2004, 24 seriously injured cyclists were treated at the Royal London whereas in 2009 the number had risen to 69.

Quote from: Dr. Joanna Manson
This research paints a grisly picture of the injuries sustained by cyclists who are unlucky enough to be involved in a collision. But it's a first step in providing evidence about the devastating impact of those most serious cycling injuries. Overall, increasing cycling in our cities in beneficial to both the individual and the city but the risk of injury remains a major deterrent. Exactly how to improve the safety for people cycling in urban environments is unclear and we need more evidence to guide policy making in this area.

I haven't been able to find an online version of the article.

The same email included a link to the "Go Dutch" petition.

http://lcc.org.uk/sign-go-dutch-petition
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: "Cycle crash injuries treble in 5 years"
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2012, 07:05:19 am »
This is London - how much has cycling increased in that time?

ETA - according to this article, about the same amount - but injury rates *should* be falling, not staying static.
http://cycleoffutility.wordpress.com/category/mayor-of-london/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2012, 07:21:14 am »
I've been sent a scan of an article in today's Evening Standard which is based upon some research carried out by Dr. Joanna Manson, at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel. It seems that in 2004, 24 seriously injured cyclists were treated at the Royal London whereas in 2009 the number had risen to 69.

Quote from: Dr. Joanna Manson
This research paints a grisly picture of the injuries sustained by cyclists who are unlucky enough to be involved in a collision. But it's a first step in providing evidence about the devastating impact of those most serious cycling injuries. Overall, increasing cycling in our cities in beneficial to both the individual and the city but the risk of injury remains a major deterrent. Exactly how to improve the safety for people cycling in urban environments is unclear and we need more evidence to guide policy making in this area.

I haven't been able to find an online version of the article.

The same email included a link to the "Go Dutch" petition.

http://lcc.org.uk/sign-go-dutch-petition

I can think of two reasons that would contribute to the rise - the Royal London became one of the regional trauma centres for London in that time.  Therefore, you would expect a rise in the number of serious injuries seen there (as they would be diverted from other A&E units).  It's also the base for the air ambulance, so if you're picked up by the air ambulance the default is to be taken to the Royal London.

Which appears to be acknowledged in the article.  Which isn't about the rise in injuries - but about the nature of the injuries realted to the vehicle involved and the usefulness of a regional trauma centre in treating them.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2012, 08:55:59 am »
Well, that makes sense.
Getting there...