Author Topic: "Boris bikes" coming to York...  (Read 2327 times)

red marley

Re: "Boris bikes" coming to York...
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2013, 10:05:12 am »
Hmm. Great to see public bike hire initiatives spreading, but 130 bikes are unlikely to transform the city. One thing that sets the London scheme apart from previous and existing UK cycle hire schemes is its scale. If you really want to change behaviour, you need a much larger number of bikes and docking stations.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2013, 11:05:37 am »
It is a trial though, so they will oly be trialing the small number for a small period to see how uptake is.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »
My first thought on reading the thread title was "How many people are going to make it from a London docking station to a York one in 24 hours? - there will be lots of overstay penalties..."

I'm all for this - York's an ideal place for it. One notable exception from the list of docking stations is the railway station. I hope it's just an oversight and not deliberate.

red marley

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »
The original plan with the London scheme was to avoid docking stations at railway stations as these encourage commuter use. The problem with commuter use is that there is a strong 'tidal' flow in the morning and evening rush hours that mean there is too much demand for bikes or spaces near the railway stations / workplaces. It requires siginificant intervertion to counter this (bikes being shifted on trailers). It may be therefore that in York, the decision is deliberate.

As far as trialing a scheme with only a small number of bikes is that there is probably a critical mass effect. If too small (as, I would suggest, 130 bikes is) the reliability of bike availability is too poor for people to use them routinely. It will mean that only opportunist ad hoc riding is likely to take place, which won't bee a good indicator of the full potential uptake.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:32:53 pm »
Unlike London, York is not known for having lots of rail commuters though. If commuter use was a concern, it would be better not to put the bikes at park and ride sites where they will be in direct competition with the buses into the city centre.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:06:56 pm »
At least they're bikes.  The Birmingham version is cars.

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »

We have those too.

« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:14:07 pm »
Unlike London, York is not known for having lots of rail commuters though. If commuter use was a concern, it would be better not to put the bikes at park and ride sites where they will be in direct competition with the buses into the city centre.
I suggest that a very high proportion of York residents rail commute. The trains to and from york at commuting times are absolutely rammed. So are the bike racks.

My concern with this scheme is: where are they going to site the BB racks?  It's not so long since a load of bike racks were removed from the city centre.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:20:27 pm »

We have those too.

Nahh, that's completely different.  Sensible hourly rates and larger vehicles that are actually useful for transporting things.

The Birmingham scheme uses silly little Smart cars that are being marketed as "an umbrella on wheels", which seems to be all they're good for.  The 35p/min rate makes them more expensive than a taxi, and you can only have one passenger.

« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:21:52 pm »
I suggest that a very high proportion of York residents rail commute. The trains to and from york at commuting times are absolutely rammed. So are the bike racks.

Yes, there do seem to be lots of rail commuters.

Unless there are docking stations in suburban/residential areas (which I can't see happening, really), I'm not sure the scheme would be that useful anyway for commuters. Still, docking stations at the railway station would be useful for visitors arriving by rail, too.

« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:23:15 pm »
The bike hire company at the station might go out of business though ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:26:07 pm »

We have those too.

Nahh, that's completely different.  Sensible hourly rates and larger vehicles that are actually useful for transporting things.

Ah, didn't notice that. :facepalm:

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2013, 03:03:20 pm »
I suggest that a very high proportion of York residents rail commute.

Sorry, I'd forgotten that Yorkists may want to escape (Should this really be allowed...  :demon:  ). I was thinking about people commuting into York, rather than away from it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2013, 03:21:33 pm »
ISTR a small-scale hire bike system in York in the late 80s.  Edgar would know.
Getting there...