Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 845763 times)

Flynn

• Fred Killah
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2825 on: 06 May, 2013, 07:52:33 am »

The Long Walk and Running Man are great reads IMHO

Thinner wasn't to my taste.

Much of King's earlier writing is good. Then he got in the habit of thinking a thicker book is a better book, writing fifteen chapters of character background and four chapters of actual story per book.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2826 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:58:54 am »
Fahrenheit 451. Hmmm. Good but not as good as 1984. Not sure the execution lives up to the ideas.

By the way, yes, Denis Healy did tell Jon Ronson to eff off.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #2827 on: 08 May, 2013, 10:54:34 am »
The Hundred Year Old Man Who Had A Whimsical And Highly Improbable Adventure Like Some Kind Of Psychopathic Swedish Forrest Gump.

Complete and utter tripe.

« Reply #2828 on: 08 May, 2013, 12:35:52 pm »
The Universe Versus Alex Woods.

(Sneaky graun linky there)

This entertained me most of the weekend. There were lots of laughs. And somewhere around Steeple Claydon a few sobs.

Chris S

« Reply #2829 on: 08 May, 2013, 01:58:10 pm »
The Universe Versus Alex Woods.

(Sneaky graun linky there)

This entertained me most of the weekend. There were lots of laughs. And somewhere around Steeple Claydon a few sobs.

I thought you were just crying at the state of that road.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2830 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:42:21 pm »
Jude the Obscure, for the first time in years.  God, it's depressing.  I really want to give Sue Bridehead a slap and tell her to HTFU.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

« Reply #2831 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:42:36 pm »
I've returned to Will Self's Umbrella, which I started last October but put to one side because it was too taxing for me with everything else I had going on in my life at that moment. Getting on much better with it now my head is clear enough to get into its rhythms and cadences. Beautiful-sad-poignant-fascinating book. Some of the most incredibly vivid writing I've come across for a long time.

« Reply #2832 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:11:54 am »
So what did you think of Them, citoyen?

citoyen

« Reply #2833 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:26:45 am »
So what did you think of Them, citoyen?

Loved it. Very funny. Ronson does a good job of drawing you in until you're almost siding with "them"... and then shoots them down by exposing their stupidity and/or racism.

It's pretty clear that there is a global conspiracy by the super-rich to run the world. It's just that they aren't necessarily lizards/Jewish.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2834 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:39:04 pm »
Terra, advance proof copy of a new SF book by comedian Mitch Benn.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #2835 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:33:56 pm »
David Gaffney, The Half-Life of Songs.  First came across him cos he's a Cumbrian author (and there aren't many of those for a start), my age and brought up in the next town to the one I was.  So, obviously, if we'd met back then we'd have had to fight.  Anyway...  he writes short stories.  Micro-stories, in fact, ordinary and weird at the same time, which pack more into half a page than some folk get into an entire book.

At the risk of copyright infringement, here's one I liked:  You Would Have.

"I was at a fancy schmancy media party and I asked this girl what she did and she said she worked for the Gas Board.
'Oh yes', I said, 'what do they do?' thinking the Gas Board was some Hoxton Square design agency.
She looked at me for a long time, then said, 'They deliver gas to people's homes.  For heating and cooking.'
'Oh yes', I said, 'I've heard of them.'
'You would have', she said.
You would have.  I thought that was very funny of her.  I thought that was a very funny thing to say."

« Reply #2836 on: 18 May, 2013, 01:26:24 am »
David Gaffney, The Half-Life of Songs.  First came across him cos he's a Cumbrian author (and there aren't many of those for a start), my age and brought up in the next town to the one I was.  So, obviously, if we'd met back then we'd have had to fight.  Anyway...  he writes short stories.  Micro-stories, in fact, ordinary and weird at the same time, which pack more into half a page than some folk get into an entire book.

At the risk of copyright infringement, here's one I liked:  You Would Have.

"I was at a fancy schmancy media party and I asked this girl what she did and she said she worked for the Gas Board.
'Oh yes', I said, 'what do they do?' thinking the Gas Board was some Hoxton Square design agency.
She looked at me for a long time, then said, 'They deliver gas to people's homes.  For heating and cooking.'
'Oh yes', I said, 'I've heard of them.'
'You would have', she said.
You would have.  I thought that was very funny of her.  I thought that was a very funny thing to say."

An understandable confusion:  when I was at university, there was a beat combo there called The Gas Board, featuring a bloke called Bryan Ferry.  Don't think they supplied combustibles to anyone, well, not officially, anyway.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2837 on: 19 May, 2013, 12:34:11 am »
Blood Meridian.

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2838 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:32:11 am »
I had Lindsay Duncan reading Pride and Prejudice for me yesterday. Was quite irritated to finish the ride with about 20 minutes left. Not irritated enough to go for another ride though. I know how it finishes.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2839 on: 19 May, 2013, 09:53:28 am »
The Blackhouse - first book in the 'Lewis' trilogy by Peter May. Murder on the Isle of Lewis? I bet it was a white settler that dunit  ;D

Now on the second book - 'Lewis Man'.

Mr May has done a good job at capturing the character of islanders.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2840 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »
The Blackhouse - first book in the 'Lewis' trilogy by Peter May. Murder on the Isle of Lewis? I bet it was a white settler that dunit  ;D

I wouldn't know about that, but he's up there with the rude boys of Tartan Noir as far as I'm concerned :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2841 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:52:36 pm »
Books read so far this tour.

Finally finished "The Baroque Cycle" by Neal Stephenson. Gods, that was heavy going!

"The Exiled Blade", final volume in Jon Courtenay Grinwoods "Assassini"trilogy. Enjoyable alternate history/fantasy.

"The Fractal Prince" by Hannu Rajaniemi. A sequel to his earlier "Quantum Thief"
Superior post human SF.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2842 on: 19 May, 2013, 09:59:35 pm »

I wouldn't know about that, but he's up there with the rude boys of Tartan Noir as far as I'm concerned :thumbsup:

I see different 'locals' and wonder if he followed them to develop the characters for the book.

The Stornoway Way - Kevin MacNeil is a great insight into island life.

« Reply #2843 on: 19 May, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »
Just finished "Eagle of the Ninth" by Rosemary Sutcliff, how did I miss this when I was a kid ? It's very good. Have been reading a lot of Roman stuff recently both factual and historical. Now starting in on "Cicero -Selected Works". I have been fascinated by old Marcus Tullius for many years. There aren't many people who lived two thousand years ago that we know so much about and have so much of their personal correspondence and speeches so that we can see them as a fully rounded human being even after all this time. He was a major influence on so much western thought and philosophy as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2844 on: 20 May, 2013, 01:22:53 am »
pc, I loved Rosemary Sutcliffe books, too.  I can't remember the title of the one in which a boy has to "slay his wolf", but it was very gripping, though now I guess i'd consider it a bit "wolfist"!  RS was an amazingly strong-willed woman who fought through great physical disability.

Have you tried Marcus Aurelius for bon mots?  I've only dipped in but I like his philosophical musings as Emperor.  He's lop off a few heads and then jot down how we shouldn't dislike each other.

« Reply #2845 on: 20 May, 2013, 01:44:33 am »
Yes I've got the "Thoughts of Marcus Aurelius" - he wasn't a bundle of laughs was he ?
I have an old copy of Gibbons I keep meaning to read as a contrast to modern histories of Rome.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2846 on: 20 May, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
Just finished "Eagle of the Ninth" by Rosemary Sutcliff, how did I miss this when I was a kid ? It's very good. Have been reading a lot of Roman stuff recently both factual and historical. ...
If you encounter the 'historical' novels of Ross Leckie, be warned - he plays fast & loose with timelines, & invents freely, disregarding recorded history. It's not ignorance. He knows the history, but chooses to ignore it in the interests of what he thinks is a better story.

I am working my way through Mrs B's recently acquired collection of Murakamis, both Haruki & Ryu. Just read 'In the Miso Soup' (strange & horrific), & am now on "After Dark', by the other one. I may move on to Osamu Nazai, none of whose works I've read. She also has at least one Shusaku Endo I haven't read yet.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #2847 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:49:33 am »
The Ross Leckie books about Hannibal I found very good.

Even better was the trilogy about Alexander the Great by Valerio Massimo Manfredi.

Both play a little with history for a better story, but none the worse for that.

« Reply #2848 on: 22 May, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »
Leckie doesn't so much play with history as invent an alternative history. He doesn't pretend otherwise. I wasn't criticising him for changing history, only issuing a warning that his books should not be taken as historical even in the background events. I'm not sure they should be filed under historical fiction, as they usually are in libraries.

Manfredi - perhaps it's the translation, but when I had a look at one of his books I found it unreadable.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2849 on: 23 May, 2013, 03:02:25 pm »
MERCKX - Half man half bike.

It's brill :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius