Author Topic: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE  (Read 172347 times)

Re: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE
« Reply #100 on: 03 May, 2018, 12:29:02 pm »
Rims: Stans Grail.

Tyre: 

28mm Hutchinson Sector 28 - thumbs only fairly easy
30mm Schwalbe G-One tubeless - thumbs only, bit harder than the sectors, easier than a Durano+ on an open pro
35mm Schwalbe G-one tubeless - first one a doddle, pretty much fell on, second one about the same as the sectors.

Worth noting that I don't put my goo through the valve but add using a syringe and hose before I mount the last bit of tyre. I haven't ended up throwing the goo all over myself yet.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #101 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:48:50 pm »
I fitted some wire beaded 28 gatorskins the other night, replacing the Vittoria Zaffiros which came on the roadie.

I can see why many would see them as a bit of a bugger, and I know they have caused many a foul mouthed tirade among cyclists, and they did take me a while to do but that was much in part to me not having fannied around with tyres much and a few schoolboy errors.

What really helped are my superb tyre levers which admirably coped with the beading. Mine are some old b'twin ones my dad gave me, which are much more robust than normal levers that come in kits. Spend money on your levers, they're worth their weight in gold!

Quick note: When I fitted the tyre, I fully inflated the inner tube, then fully deflated, massaged the tyre a bit, and reinflated to make sure the tube was correctly seated. Is this worth doing or did I waste my time?
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #102 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:27:53 pm »
No particular problem here with Durano Plus Etape folding (as springy and wriggly as Marathon Plus) on the notorious Rigida/Ryde Chrina.  There seem to be good and bad Chrinas; it looks as if they sometimes cut them a mm or so too large before they're rolled and joined.

Since I learned (a) to talc the tube thoroughly* and (b) how to push the bead into the well of the rim, I've not had a problem fitting anything and everything except the M+ on the Brompton comes off without levers, too.  This saves carrying them on rides, which is nice (although you can generally use QR levers in a pinch).

*this does very little to reduce friction when riding (as some believe) but it makes tyres much easier to fit.  Most of the friction between the bead and the rim, preventing you getting the last bit of bead over the edge, is actually friction between the tube and rim.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #103 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:37:21 pm »
I think I've found a new benchmark for bastardly:  Schwalbe Pro One 28-559 on an Alex DV15.

I had to resort to tyre levers to get the *first* bead over the rim.  By the time I'd got down to the last couple of inches of the second one I was well into the bleeding and harsh language stage.  A brief moment of common sense stopped me from continuing on the basis that  a) If I did manage to fit it, there was a non-zero possibility that getting it off again would require scrapping one or the other  and  b) If I rode it and got a puncture I'd be fucked.

rogerzilla

« Reply #104 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »
Some tyre beads stretch nicely after a couple of weeks on the rim at high pressure.  Kevlar beaded tyres especially.  I doubt kevlar creeps much but maybe the beads are braided, like a rope, and the filaments can straighten out somewhat.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:49:59 pm »
Some tyre beads stretch nicely after a couple of weeks on the rim at high pressure.  Kevlar beaded tyres especially.  I doubt kevlar creeps much but maybe the beads are braided, like a rope, and the filaments can straighten out somewhat.

That's a fair point.  In the end I dug a wheel out of the spares pile (unbranded rim, a bit too wide, retired because of hairline fractures at some of the spoke holes) and it went on that without a fuss.  I should see if being on there for a month or so has helped.

Doesn't really matter though, my plan is to replace the fractured rim with a sensible Mavic one that it's known to fit.

ETA: Actually, I've got a 406 wheel with an inappropriate dynamo hub that was surprisingly difficult with a regular Marathon.  Think that's a DV15 as well.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #106 on: 12 August, 2018, 10:14:41 am »
I think I've found a new benchmark for bastardly:  Schwalbe Pro One 28-559 on an Alex DV15.

I had to resort to tyre levers to get the *first* bead over the rim.  By the time I'd got down to the last couple of inches of the second one I was well into the bleeding and harsh language stage.  A brief moment of common sense stopped me from continuing on the basis that  a) If I did manage to fit it, there was a non-zero possibility that getting it off again would require scrapping one or the other  and  b) If I rode it and got a puncture I'd be fucked.

That might well be a tubeless ready tyre
All tubeless compatible tyres have an insanely tight bead
I think that it is normal to have to use tyre levers and a bead jack to get even the first bead on for this type of tyre
On my tubeless bike when I do the long rides I carry a tyre jack

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 12 August, 2018, 12:53:04 pm »
I think that it is normal to have to use tyre levers and a bead jack to get even the first bead on for this type of tyre

It is (although I'm using them with lightweight inner tubes).

The 28-406 Pro One I have on the front wheel (Kinlin XR240) is a bit tight, but goes on without levers.  Getting it off can be a bit of a struggle, depending on temperature.

The tubeless ready tyres I have on my mountain bike are also stiff, but fittable by hand.  I'm not sure how much of this is down to being tubeless ready, or just from having kevlar beads.  My sensible bikes all have wire-beaded tyres.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #108 on: 12 August, 2018, 08:30:14 pm »
Doesn't really matter though, my plan is to replace the fractured rim with a sensible Mavic one that it's known to fit.

Did the wheel build this afternoon, so I can add:

Schwalbe Pro One 28-559 on Mavic XM117:  It's tight, but it's doable by hand, without resorting to toestraps or harsh language.

« Reply #109 on: 22 August, 2018, 10:50:13 am »
Vittoria Corsa Speed +
Difficult but doable on a PlanetX rim (needed tyre levers).
Impossible (couldn't get the first bead on!) on a Roval 45 rim, then again, might be the rim as I broke a Pedros tyre lever getting a Schwalbe Durano off.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #110 on: 22 August, 2018, 10:53:06 am »
Interesting Duncan I recently fitted some Vittoria Revolutions G+ 28mm to my utility bike's cheapo wheels, it was a bit of work but I didn't need to use the levers.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

Cracking commuter tyres so far, very comfortable while being quick enough for my purposes.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #111 on: 24 September, 2018, 08:34:19 am »
Fitted some folding Michelin Power Gravel 35c on Alex XD Lite 700c rims.

Much harder to get on and off than the Conti Contact 32C wired-on that they replaced.  Would have been impossible without levers.

Lovely comfy commute this morning over the rough/gravel sections though :)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #112 on: 14 October, 2018, 10:05:56 am »
Vittorio G+ control 25mm. Went very easily onto Kinlin XC-279 rims, no levers or tricks needed. Lovely tyres too.

rogerzilla

« Reply #113 on: 07 July, 2019, 03:45:10 pm »
Vittoria Open Tri 22mm - the hardest I've ever fitted new.  Pushing the last bit of bead over with a wooden spoon might do it for you - it worked for me.  They free up a bit when sitting on the rim, inflated.

« Reply #114 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:14:04 am »
Gatorskin tubulars. I invent several new swearwords every time.

« Reply #115 on: 23 October, 2019, 03:12:34 pm »
40-406 Schwalbe Marathon "Racers"(wire bead) are harder to fit/remove than either Marathon or Marathon+.
The "M racer" folders are about the same as M or M+.
"Go-bike" 50-406 are a lot easier (fit/remove by hand) than M or M+.

« Reply #116 on: 29 February, 2020, 09:02:03 pm »
Kenda Kountach 25x622  on Mavic Open Sport rim

It goes on a bit tight but doable (can't remember if I needed a tyre lever just to stretch the second bead onto the rim but it would only have been light assistance if it was). However getting the tread lined up straight defeated me, which made for a very bumpy ride today negating all the advantages of a super light freerunning tyre. I will have another go at taking the bumps tomorrow if I can. This might be why they were being sold so cheaply

update: i fitted my green Kountach onto the Open Sport and just kept pumping with the track pump until i couldn't pump any more. That seated the bead (very slowly). I then didn't back off the pressure - result failure of the valve base. I had to repeat the process today with a new tube. I am thinking of putting some liquid soap in a little container in case I have to repair a puncture on the road, in an audax it could be  a bit of a bxxxr.
I tried fitting the red Kountach that I started with onto a Campag Lambda Strada rim. This is most not advised. It needed a tyre lever to finish - inevitable result, pinch punctures, scrapped one new tube. I am not going back for a second go!

Davef

« Reply #117 on: 01 March, 2020, 03:15:14 pm »
Continental GP5000TL tubeless onto roval rims. Surprised to find them easy, no tools required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #118 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:25:09 am »
Boxfresh GP 4 Season (folding) onto DT Swiss RR465. Not a chance.

Gave up after attempting with two different tyres. Could only get it on with tyre levers (with no tube in, not that stupid) in the hope that would stretch it and it would be possible to put them on with just thumbs afterwards. Nope.

Managed to get an old GP 4 Season (25mm) that I'd taken off an old wheel onto it (with a tube in) with a bit of swearing at the third attempt (and just thumbs).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #119 on: 05 October, 2020, 10:59:49 pm »
Continental GP5000TL on to Hope 20Five rims. My first go at fitting a tubeless tyre on a tubeless rim, but after 2 hours in the garage with them I've given up for the day. Can't get the second side on no matter what I try. I've put a little water/soap on the rim, I've tried tying off one side of the bit still to close with tie wraps but the tie wraps just burst off. I've ran out of ideas.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Nemosengineer

• Hair Ball
« Reply #120 on: 15 November, 2020, 10:36:27 pm »
Astral Radiant (Rolf Prima) 700C rims, mounting 700X25 Schwalbe Pro One TT TLE tires., in a tubeless configuration, new wheels, new tires.
Tires install on rims with thumb pressure, lube and air compressor was required to seat beads (beads fully seated at 85 psi), sealant was filled through presta valve.
Ease of installation 7.5 out of 10.
Comparable to Mavic Open Pro and Vittoria Corsa G2 with exception that the Vittoria beads seat first time everytime, 9.5 out of 10.
: Mike

« Reply #121 on: 28 June, 2021, 10:18:30 am »
Except many tubeless tyres I fit by hand no problem and the very worst I've come across was a tubed tyres on Mavic rims.

Something that has not been mentioned about ease of fitting and it's a biggie, is temperature. Had a sod of a tyre a while back where I just couldn't get last part of second bead on. Left it in sun on a hot day before attempting it again and on it went. It wasn't warm when I was outside on initial attempts.

Also many hard to fit tyres have subsequently been much easier to get off and refit after being mounted on rim.
The Tile Collector

rogerzilla

« Reply #122 on: 29 December, 2021, 08:57:58 am »
Schwalbe One Brompton tyres on Sun CR18 16" rims are a combination few people will ever see, but it is a swine.  Like most new folding tyres, the Schwalbes are a bit small.  Also, CR18 rims have no real "well" as they are a straight box section.

Even the first bead couldn't be fitted by hand, which is a first for me.

The special VAR tyre lever got them on safely.  I expect they will be pretty easy once they've been on the rim for a fortnight.  Kevlar beads always stretch plastically. 

rogerzilla

« Reply #123 on: 11 January, 2022, 02:25:12 pm »
Ok, it's the rims, not the tyres.  A set of steel beaded Stelvios were just as tight, needing the VAR lever again.  Looks as if the 16" Sun CR18 causes problems for a lot of people.  It's the shape of the rim channel that's the problem.

« Reply #124 on: 22 January, 2023, 08:30:14 am »
Rims: DT Swiss R470

Tyres: Vittoria Corsa Control 28mm - tight but acceptable, difficulty 6/10

Tyres: Continental GP4000 25mm - very tight, swearing required and would not want to attempt at the roadside, difficulty 8.5/10

Tyres: Continental GP5000 28mm (not TR) - impossible without breaking the laws of physics. Patience, sense of humour and shit lost in an epic way. Defeated. Difficulty 11/10

All tyres were brand new at time of the experiment.

SpaceBadger et al, 2023.