Author Topic: Poor Student, 07/01/2017  (Read 35147 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Poor Student, 07/01/2017
« Reply #125 on: 08 January, 2017, 12:44:20 pm »
a quiet snooze at the Welcome Break before the drive home. Excellent!

I think I spoke to you briefly at the finish - you were the one hogging the sofa in Starbucks, right? I knew I recognised the face but couldn't put a name to it. I was just getting ready to leave when you woke up and we discussed whether or not it was harder this way round.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #126 on: 08 January, 2017, 12:48:38 pm »
Thanks Pat for a successful day out. The route was great and I'd like to do it again on a clear day and in daylight to see it all. The lack of traffic was most welcome especially in the dark.

I started "behind the bulge" and so had a lonely first half to the ride. The legs were very weak from two weeks of lurgy and I had plenty of time to consider if it was really a good idea being there. Saw plenty of cyclists as I arrived in Chipping Campden but I think I was the last to leave The Bantam Tearooms.

After the big hills I joined up with John Irwin, and then Phil W and his niece Nicola. Suddenly I was in group and my mood and legs improved greatly. Thanks guys for the lift. After Cirencester the youth and experience in the group shot off up the road and left me and John to plod on to Malmesbury. The Summer Cafe still had some cake left and that fueled me up for the dark section back to Oxford.

I was happy just to make it round but grateful that the legs felt better at the end than the beginning.

That's ten months of my first RRTY, all calendar events, but it looks like I'll need a perm for February.

« Reply #127 on: 08 January, 2017, 01:06:21 pm »
I couldn't enter yesterday but would like to ride it as a perm one day. Malmesbury is the closest corner for me so I was thinking of starting there and going North first clockwise to do the hilly bit early .

Does that seem a good plan?

Yes, it does. I've ridden it as a perm from Malmesbury. You definitely get the lumpy bits out of the way first by heading North. Oxford back to Malmesbury is all fairly flat, although the day I rode it there was a fierce headwind across the open Oxfordshire lanes.

« Reply #128 on: 08 January, 2017, 03:21:17 pm »
The people running summer cafe never been so happy lol

« Reply #129 on: 08 January, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »
Enjoyed my first audax yesterday.  The three of us that rode together made it back in time but it was looking close at one point due to punctures and my disk brakes needing road side surgery in Cirencester.   Got a bit lost at the Malmesbury roundabout  and went a slightly different route from the GPX but caught it up 5 or 10 miles later.   Made good tie back from there especially when we got back on familiar roads.

Big thumbs up for the chippy in Purton - that's a good one!

Got 154 miles in which is my longest ever and will hopefully be back for The Dean.

« Reply #130 on: 08 January, 2017, 03:56:00 pm »
It was a great day out and what really caught my attention after riding in Kent was how pleasant the drivers were. Over 200K ridden and not a single incident of aggressive passing, beeping or just generally being unpleasant. Once we got into the Cotswolds drivers went from friendly to very friendly with people making a real effort to be courteous and accommodating.

If this is normal I'm going to have to make an effort to ride in that part of the country more frequently.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #131 on: 08 January, 2017, 03:57:14 pm »
Now you know why many cyclists think drivers from your part of the world are a bunch of Kents.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #132 on: 08 January, 2017, 03:59:47 pm »
A fab day with some very nice company...

Interestingly I wonder if a few AUKs were doing a DIY clockwise as I kept seeing faces I recognised.

L

« Reply #133 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:15:55 pm »
It was a great day out and what really caught my attention after riding in Kent was how pleasant the drivers were. Over 200K ridden and not a single incident of aggressive passing, beeping or just generally being unpleasant. Once we got into the Cotswolds drivers went from friendly to very friendly with people making a real effort to be courteous and accommodating.

If this is normal I'm going to have to make an effort to ride in that part of the country more frequently.

We had the same impression...I punctured in Malmesbury and a 4x4 stopped to ask if we were ok!  Thats a first for me

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #134 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:24:46 pm »
a quiet snooze at the Welcome Break before the drive home. Excellent!

I think I spoke to you briefly at the finish - you were the one hogging the sofa in Starbucks, right? I knew I recognised the face but couldn't put a name to it. I was just getting ready to leave when you woke up and we discussed whether or not it was harder this way round.
That's hilarious! We need to find out if Manotea woke up more - or less - quickly after riding the other way round.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #135 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:53:31 pm »

I had a right idiot in a BMW (surprise surprise) try and drive me off of a single track near Malmesbury. Followed me for about 400m with his hand on the horn and then had a go at me at the next junction where I went left and he went right. Not sure where I was supposed to go, down into the ditch maybe. He wasted more time shouting at me then if he'd just followed and shared the road. So I'm afraid there are idiots everywhere.

citoyen

« Reply #136 on: 08 January, 2017, 05:08:12 pm »
I had a couple of close passes yesterday, plus one idiot who decided to overtake on a narrow road when there were cars coming the other way, so he had to cut in very sharply and almost took out my front wheel.

Tbh, I didn't find it much different to riding in Kent on the whole. This is neither a good nor a bad thing.

« Reply #137 on: 08 January, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »
I had a couple of close passes yesterday, plus one idiot who decided to overtake on a narrow road when there were cars coming the other way, so he had to cut in very sharply and almost took out my front wheel.

Tbh, I didn't find it much different to riding in Kent on the whole. This is neither a good nor a bad thing.

There's always one or two idiots to try and spoil every ride.

This was the lane I had my issue on, Hare Lane near Hankerton. Recently resurfaced with chippings so edges of the road loose, verges drop down into ditches and muddy in January...

https://goo.gl/maps/QY4RJCYt6ir

Driver reckons I should pull over to let him pass, not sure why I should and where I would go and he and I both knew there was a junction ahead. And once he decided to hold his hand on the horn there was no way I was gonna be bullied into pulling over.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #138 on: 08 January, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
Fantastic ride, great turnout and many thanks for organising.
I've learnt a few things as well, I usually do!
If going on a 12 hour ride think about how to deal with a Garmin with a 11 hour battery life (result - 1 corrupted route).
If relying on a Garmin to provide your route, have a backup for when it runs out of juice (luckily had 'smart phone', even if user not too smart!)
On wet & muddy roads, even those with mudguards throw up wet mud in your face unless they have mud flaps/long mudguards.
Having mentioned the above to another rider, now need to do something about my own mudguards - seem some lovely DIY versions.
Garden centre cafes have some wonderful fuel - huge Yorkshire pudding overflowing with beef casserole (photographic evidence available but no idea how to upload...)
Total respect to those riding single speed / fixed wheel / other variations - I find it difficult enough with all the gears, let alone only having one!
Pleased with my ride, especially considering total lack of miles in legs.  Need to do something about that.
Thanks once again, look forward to trying again the 'correct' way round.
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #139 on: 08 January, 2017, 07:39:00 pm »
And once he decided to hold his hand on the horn there was no way I was gonna be bullied into pulling over.

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #140 on: 08 January, 2017, 07:57:28 pm »
I left it all on the road, Matt, and by the state of my bike, the road was clearly not taking it lying down...

Ref posts up thread, honourable mentions are due to the passenger of the silver Volkswagen who offered a sneering 'do you mind' when I stood aside to let them pass (I was pushing my bike up the hill after Compton Abdale at the time), and the WVM who drove his van straight at a group of riders on a lane about six inches wider than his vehicle without slowing.

citoyen

« Reply #141 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:17:38 pm »
If going on a 12 hour ride think about how to deal with a Garmin with a 11 hour battery life (result - 1 corrupted route).

Which Garmin do you have? My Edge 510 still has 15% juice left, even though I had the screen light on for the last few hours, and I didn't take much less than 12 hours to get round myself.

Might be worth checking the settings to see if there are things you can do to reduce energy consumption (eg turn off Bluetooth, if applicable).

Lee Killestein

« Reply #142 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:19:27 pm »
Total respect to those riding single speed / fixed wheel / other variations - I find it difficult enough with all the gears, let alone only having one!

There were a couple of points where I questioned my decision to ride fixed, one involving a short walk, but on the whole not a bad route. The mind quickly rewrites history after a good meal and a good night's rest!

« Reply #143 on: 08 January, 2017, 09:04:45 pm »
I left it all on the road, Matt, and by the state of my bike, the road was clearly not taking it lying down...

Ref posts up thread, honourable mentions are due to the passenger of the silver Volkswagen who offered a sneering 'do you mind' when I stood aside to let them pass (I was pushing my bike up the hill after Compton Abdale at the time), and the WVM who drove his van straight at a group of riders on a lane about six inches wider than his vehicle without slowing.

Yes now you mention it I was one of the riders who wvm drove at - both his off side wheels were on the verge and he wasn't hanging about .... probably withdraw my earlier comment  :facepalm:

citoyen

« Reply #144 on: 08 January, 2017, 09:06:20 pm »
So was I. I'd forgotten about that idiot. (Or maybe it was a different idiot - it's possible, with such behaviour not being uncommon among WVMs.)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #145 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:00:15 pm »
Fantastic ride, great turnout and many thanks for organising.
I've learnt a few things as well, I usually do!
If relying on a Garmin to provide your route, have a backup for when it runs out of juice (luckily had 'smart phone', even if user not too smart!)
On wet & muddy roads, even those with mudguards throw up wet mud in your face unless they have mud flaps/long mudguards.
Having mentioned the above to another rider, now need to do something about my own mudguards - seem some lovely DIY versions.
Garden centre cafes have some wonderful fuel - huge Yorkshire pudding overflowing with beef casserole (photographic evidence available but no idea how to upload...)
Pleased with my ride, especially considering total lack of miles in legs.  Need to do something about that.
Thanks once again, look forward to trying again the 'correct' way round.
garmin life extension I have discovered.
1)don't use bluetooth/ant
2) use headlight to read screen not garmin back light
3) power up on the go with an external battery, with a power only(non data) cable it shouldnt go to memor mode and so be able to keep going. Worked for me on london wales london last year.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #146 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:21:53 pm »
 Drivers on my part of the route were complete numpties.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #147 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:07:30 am »

3) power up on the go with an external battery, with a power only(non data) cable it shouldnt go to memor mode and so be able to keep going. Worked for me on london wales london last year.
Power only cable should be the answer. Thks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

« Reply #148 on: 09 January, 2017, 06:43:06 am »
So was I. I'd forgotten about that idiot. (Or maybe it was a different idiot - it's possible, with such behaviour not being uncommon among WVMs.)

Pretty sure we are talking about same van ... i think you were just in front of me at the time.   Fixie with Rapha top on correct?   You made my knees ache!

citoyen

« Reply #149 on: 09 January, 2017, 08:32:26 am »
Fixie with Rapha top on correct?   You made my knees ache!

Yep, that's right. I made my own knees ache too - along with various other bits of me.