Author Topic: Poor Student, 07/01/2017  (Read 35564 times)

Phil W

Re: Poor Student, 07/01/2017
« Reply #175 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:33:33 pm »
After the big hills I joined up with John Irwin, and then Phil W and his niece Nicola. Suddenly I was in group and my mood and legs improved greatly. Thanks guys for the lift.

Riding it for the first time and mentoring my niece Nicola round her first audax.

She loved the understated start , no horn or loud music , riders just started rolling off. We had a good run to Chipping Campden on the fairly gentle terrain. She liked spotting PBP gilets after I pointed them out.  I'd told her not to worry about what other people were doing pace wise. She was pleased to see that people who passed us, we passed them later on and so on leap frogging each other. It helped her relax and not worry we were going too slow (we weren't) but at just the right pace yo get round.

At the Bantam baked potato and hot chocolate were enjoyed. I offered the LEL2017 gilet for a few to try on for size whilst waiting for my food.

I noticed she was beginning to fade in the hills on the second leg. Not helped by a rider saying "It's like this all the way to Cirencester". After telling him that was "too much information"  we stopped at the top of the hill and the emergency wine gums were broken out.  About 30 mins later she got a puncture which I fixed then left her to pump up before we put the wheel back in the fork.  I then towed her along and caught Neil and John. I sat on the front of the group whilst the old reprobates chatted up my niece and helped the miles pass without thought. We stopped in Cirencester for a photo by the cathedral. Coming out of Cirencester I pulled away with Nicola in tow.

Malmesbury we saw bikes outside the coffee house in the cinema / art gallery complex. Toasties, Paninis and ice cream milkshakes were enjoyed. Darkness fell on the next leg and I got out the proper front light I'd brought for Nicola's bike.  I had my large red saddlebag on my bike as Nicola hasn't ridden an audax before and I was carrying all her spare clothes in case she got cold, wet or both. Nicola was drafting me on the final leg still being tired. Subsequently her light caught my saddlebag in its throw and a large shadow fell across me. But all was well.

We caught and rode with one rider for a while, but he was going slower than the average speed I wanted to maintain to get Nicola back not too fast and not too slow.  So we pulled ahead and didn't see him again.

Nicola hadn't done a 100 mile ride yet and was keen I let her know when we reached a 100 miles. I wouldn't let her look at Strava running on her phone in case it wasn't as far as she thought and she got dispirited. I guessed at roughly the right point and she saw we were at 99 miles. We took a selfie when we got to a dark lane at 103 miles. She loved the riding in the dark on those quiet lanes.With about 9 miles left she had begun to fade again. So we broke out the M&M emergency rations to see her to the end on the final tow.

We caught a rider as we entered Oxford. He was glad as his GPS had run out of power. So we rode as a group of three. Nicola lives near Oxford and works there and as soon as she knew how far the Park and Ride was, she was off in a final sprint of youth and exuberance. I and our fellow rider were following in her mudguardless wake with  our air brake saddlebags on the back.

We then went to the services for a KFC (which certainly wasn't fast food) and final receipt plus chat with other riders in the other eating area.

I'd like to thank every rider we met who spoke and encouraged her along helping the miles to pass without too much thought, I'd also like to thank those she spoke to at the cafe stops or whilst we were fixing the puncture.  She was one of the mudguardless ones and had the badger stripe of honour. But no one made a rude comment about it. I'd like to thank Judith for speaking to her at the finish and providing such a great trike for her to look at. She has finished her first audax greatly encouraged and remarked how friendly it all was but shame more women weren't riding.

She now understands the importance of a good saddle, good lights, and mudguards plus a decent saddlebag to carry your spare kit. She also understands that it's ok to say if you're fading a little and need to slow down, no one will mind. Plus that punctures aren't the end of the world and don't take that long to fix if you don't rush the process.

She's so keen she's already posted off her brevet card and receipts before I reminded her today. So I think you'll be seeing her on a few more as it moves to Spring. I'm wondering if I can persuade her to ride an Essex 300 end of April with me, which will be a bit flatter and easier.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #176 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:46:04 pm »
Good write up Phil :thumbsup:

« Reply #177 on: 10 January, 2017, 08:20:45 pm »
Not helped by a rider saying "It's like this all the way to Cirencester". After telling him that was "too much information"  we stopped at the top of the hill and the emergency wine gums were broken out. 

Maintaining a sense of optimism is so important - I was rather zealously telling everyone that after Compton Abdale it was flat with a slight downward incline.  And when I last did PBP i remember telling a rider to F Off because he was so keen on sharing his misery.  I hope your niece got the message that legs help but audaxing is all about the top two inches...

« Reply #178 on: 10 January, 2017, 09:13:22 pm »
Good write up Phil :thumbsup:

+1  looks like we an other hooked. :thumbsup:
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #179 on: 10 January, 2017, 09:27:00 pm »
The jersey and gilet are standing up well in use having had them since May '16. They've been worn on over 2100km of audaxing, in all weathers, and are good as new so far.

Have they got the dates on them this time? It's always irritated me that my LEL jersey doesn't even have the year, let alone that actual ride dates.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Redlight

« Reply #180 on: 10 January, 2017, 09:37:25 pm »
I noticed she was beginning to fade in the hills on the second leg. Not helped by a rider saying "It's like this all the way to Cirencester". After telling him that was "too much information"  we stopped at the top of the hill and the emergency wine gums were broken out. 

Apologies. I think that may have been me (I was wearing an orange YACF top) and my joviality was clearly inappropriate.  On the other hand, if I recall, she was climbing very steadily and certainly got to the top before me. 

I'm riding the Kelvedon Oyster in Essex on the 21st so will promise to be better behaved. And I'm sure we all look forward to Nicola's account of PBP 2019  ;)

Phil W

« Reply #181 on: 10 January, 2017, 10:51:38 pm »
I noticed she was beginning to fade in the hills on the second leg. Not helped by a rider saying "It's like this all the way to Cirencester". After telling him that was "too much information"  we stopped at the top of the hill and the emergency wine gums were broken out. 

Apologies. I think that may have been me (I was wearing an orange YACF top) and my joviality was clearly inappropriate.  On the other hand, if I recall, she was climbing very steadily and certainly got to the top before me. 

I'm riding the Kelvedon Oyster in Essex on the 21st so will promise to be better behaved. And I'm sure we all look forward to Nicola's account of PBP 2019  ;)

Orange top, yes I think it must have been.

I'd been coaching her about riding in the moment, not to think about what we'd done and not to worry about what was to come. Just appreciating that exact moment and taking in the beautiful atmospheric landscape we were privileged to be riding through.  I'd also been working on her climbing to keep it that steady pace you saw to ensure she didn't push too hard and blow up later.  But she was very much fading even if she said she was OK whenever I asked. She had already told me she was finding the hills hard about 5 mins before you passed. So right then, even though she may have looked OK on the outside, she was finding it tough. Being in the moment was helping her with that.

We know it's mental strength (or a mentor) that gets you through when you're finding it tough and for a new audax rider, and one you don't know, mentioning difficulties ahead at the wrong moment can just add to those doubts in their mind.

Not to worry she had some words to say about you when we reached Cirencester but I won't repeat them!

She'll be training for the London and Paris Marathons (sub 3:20 at London last year so not too shabby) now. Once out the way sure we'll be working out what next for her riding this year.

Redlight

« Reply #182 on: 11 January, 2017, 08:42:36 am »
I'm now feeling very guilty so please pass on my apologies.  :-[ :-[ :-[

(Did I not also say that there was a nice downhill into Cirencester though?)

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #183 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:36:22 am »
We caught a rider as we entered Oxford. He was glad as his GPS had run out of power. So we rode as a group of three. Nicola lives near Oxford and works there and as soon as she knew how far the Park and Ride was, she was off in a final sprint of youth and exuberance. I and our fellow rider were following in her mudguardless wake with  our air brake saddlebags on the back.

Great write up Phil.

That was me who was Garminless - thanks to you and Nicola for guiding me through Oxford.  Was nice to get a bit of a tow for the last few ks as well.

With reference to Nicola's comments about lack of female riders, I guess a lot of this has to do with the age of most AUK members.  I imagine most of us have families and we enjoy our audax time escaping from the day to day routines that are life.  Some call it 'me' time.  I would suggest that many women with families would find it much more difficult to clear off for the whole day (and night). 

An alternative theory is that women are far more sensible than blokes and have got far better things to do than bugger about on a bike all day!

How we encourage female members to join this mad sport is beyond my small brain. 

PS I've just had a horrible thought and I hope in these days where everything said must not be sexist that my comments above taken in the right way
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #184 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:56:38 am »
Some countries I've ridden in (e.g. Greece, USA) have a higher percentage of female Audaxers/ randonneuses than the UK. Others have a lower percentage (e.g. Ireland, Portugal)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #185 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:19:37 am »
Nicola has told me she is going to write up her experience of this ride this weekend.  I asked her a favour at the end of the ride and said that if she wrote it up (as many or as few words as she wants) that I'd help get it published in the Audax UK magazine.  So hopefully you'll get to read her thoughts on her first audax in the next edition.

Phil W

« Reply #186 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:38:49 am »
The jersey and gilet are standing up well in use having had them since May '16. They've been worn on over 2100km of audaxing, in all weathers, and are good as new so far.

Have they got the dates on them this time? It's always irritated me that my LEL jersey doesn't even have the year, let alone that actual ride dates.

They have the year on them but not the dates.  The gilet has the year printed across the mesh back. The LEL2013 jersey has the year printed on it as well, but in a different place to this years edition.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #187 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:50:28 am »
She's so keen she's already posted off her brevet card and receipts before I reminded her today.

Ooh! Thanks for reminding me though. Now I've just got to remember which pocket I stashed my card in...  (ETA: Phew! Found it.)

Good write-up. Looking forward to reading Nicola's account.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #188 on: 11 January, 2017, 11:28:51 am »

Great write up Phil.

That was me who was Garminless - thanks to you and Nicola for guiding me through Oxford.  Was nice to get a bit of a tow for the last few ks as well.

With reference to Nicola's comments about lack of female riders, I guess a lot of this has to do with the age of most AUK members.  I imagine most of us have families and we enjoy our audax time escaping from the day to day routines that are life.  Some call it 'me' time.  I would suggest that many women with families would find it much more difficult to clear off for the whole day (and night). 

An alternative theory is that women are far more sensible than blokes and have got far better things to do than bugger about on a bike all day!

How we encourage female members to join this mad sport is beyond my small brain. 

PS I've just had a horrible thought and I hope in these days where everything said must not be sexist that my comments above taken in the right way

I think there are 2 main reasons for lack of female participants.

1 - Societal expectations, both in terms of "Ugh women don't get sweaty" and women frequently doing most of the everyday stuff that glues families together and feeling guilty if they take time from that for their own leisure pursuits.

2 - Women just don't generally produce as many watts as men. Once we do the sums of watts per kilo and add in the bike weight this becomes even more of a handicap. It's obvious from Nicola's marathon time she is fit with plenty of endurance - probably top 10% of her age group?
I'm at the back on any audax I do but I'm bloody minded. I have seen several all female trios or pairs dropping out on populaires. Once that's happened it's unlikely they'll be back, never mind moving up the distances.

I would add that I'm well aware this doesn't answer the question!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #189 on: 11 January, 2017, 01:10:21 pm »
Picking up on a couple of points here and putting them together to come to no particular conclusion...

I noticed that for some reason, the majority of the mudguardless riders I saw were of the young female persuasion. I don't know what this means but I thought it of note. Particularly as it seems  that 'getting all dirty' seems to be used as a reason to not do long distance rides. Some of them were filthy [insert innuendo here].

As I said I don't know why this was and what it means. Perhaps they were new to these type of rides? (although most were cruising easily past me with a cheery wave, so perhaps not).

John

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #190 on: 11 January, 2017, 01:13:12 pm »
If you're new to cycling, forking out for accessories gives a high cost-benefit ratio.  In terms of pleasure per miles.  Maybe they were newbies who'll see the point of forking out for 'guards now.

I don't have guards on my road bike, but I'm getting some because everyone else seems to ride a fast bike in the winter now, so I'm leaving the tourer in the shed for the club rides.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #191 on: 11 January, 2017, 01:16:39 pm »
If you're new to cycling, forking out for accessories gives a high cost-benefit ratio.  In terms of pleasure per miles.  Maybe they were newbies who'll see the point of forking out for 'guards now.

I don't have guards on my road bike, but I'm getting some because everyone else seems to ride a fast bike in the winter now, so I'm leaving the tourer in the shed for the club rides.

Aijn't that the truth! I hate this. My summer bike is too good to be used on debris filled muddy roads!

Pat, is it too early to ask if you got my envelope safely?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #192 on: 11 January, 2017, 01:25:24 pm »
I am only not riding now because I can't.
I am female and never had many watts but still got round rides that weren't too hilly.

I have no offspring though.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #193 on: 11 January, 2017, 01:55:47 pm »

Maybe- currently working through a pile of 100...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #194 on: 11 January, 2017, 02:04:59 pm »

Maybe- currently working through a pile of 100...

I'll come back in an hour then ;)

Phil W

« Reply #195 on: 11 January, 2017, 02:34:07 pm »
Nicola said that none of her friends really cycle.  She worries about getting lost and about navigation. She worries that she won't be able to fix a mechanical.  She worries about failing at something publicly. This may be a general thing it may not.  Her one "experienced" cyclist friend who found out she was doing this ride said there's no way Nicola would manage it and she'd fail.  I get the feeling it is more about her confidence than her ability. For she is very able.

When I was a child I'd go out and ride my bikes with my mates, we'd ride on the road, we'd ride in the woods (tracker bikes), we'd do jumps across streams.  We'd ride into the Peak District for the day. We'd get lost but we'd find our way back. We didn't use maps or GPS (yet to be invented) we just went riding.  This built confidence and enjoyment in being out on the bike, fixing things when they broke, and not worrying about a thing.  I might take it for granted but it is the foundation of my cycling. If you never had that phase in your child hood with friends who did it with you as well how long does it take to build it as an adult?

So if you can nurture that ability and project your confidence so it becomes their confidence then you can watch them blossom beyond your very own abilities and smile.  I loved mentoring her round the Poor Student, to see her smile and grow in confidence as the ride went on. The realisation towards the end that yes she really was going to do it lit her up like a blazing star.

I'm hoping that by hearing her voice in an article in Arrivee it'll encourage other women and younger riders to come forward and that someone will be there to help mentor them through their first Audax. So please share it with your female relatives and children when you see it. There might just be a few more women and young people who decide to give it a go with your help and guidance.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #196 on: 11 January, 2017, 02:48:42 pm »
Her one "experienced" cyclist friend who found out she was doing this ride said there's no way Nicola would manage it and she'd fail.

That's a great 'friend'! 

When I was a child I'd go out and ride my bikes with my mates, we'd ride on the road, we'd ride in the woods (tracker bikes), we'd do jumps across streams.  We'd ride into the Peak District for the day. We'd get lost but we'd find our way back. We didn't use maps or GPS (yet to be invented) we just went riding.  This built confidence and enjoyment in being out on the bike and not worrying about a thing.

Must admit I forget how those of us of a certain age just grew up with our bikes.  They gave us our independence and confidence.  Out for the day with a jam sandwich and back in time for tea.  lf you got a puncture you walked - or rode the bike with a flat tyre.    Water bottles - what were they?  Falling off; falling in streams; making your own bike from bits you found at the local scrap heap.  Head out for the day and find your way home - I guess that's how some of us got a sense of direction.  Single speed bike, or if you were flash you had a 'racer' with 5!  Remminicing too much now...

I hope Nicola continues to build up her confidence.  With your mentoring I think she'll be just fine.
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

Phil W

« Reply #197 on: 11 January, 2017, 03:21:21 pm »
Her one "experienced" cyclist friend who found out she was doing this ride said there's no way Nicola would manage it and she'd fail.

That's a great 'friend'! 

I don't think it was malicious in any way though I wasn't there when it was said.  We have to remember that for most cyclists a 100 mile cycle ride might be a target they build up to for the whole year.  Maybe her friend had followed a magazine training program over many weeks or months, for her friend had completed Ride London last summer.   So if your friend finds out you are going to go for a ride 7 days into the year, in the middle of winter, and it's going to be much hillier and longer than Ride London which they trained for and did in the height of summer.  Maybe they will think you can't do it.   Maybe they think nobody can do it apart from extreme cyclists you read about. Surely your friend who mostly "just" runs isn't one of them?

Besides who hasn't got the friend who always likes to outbid you in whatever you've accomplished?  That was another side of audax and Saturday she liked.  We spoke to quite a few on the road. After we parted company I'd mention to her some of the rides the others had done. She'd remark about how nice they were and she was never made to feel as though she didn't fit in with these riders who'd done "amazing rides"

« Reply #198 on: 11 January, 2017, 03:30:23 pm »
The Poor Student was a great event. Many thanks for organising.

The mudguard debate: I only realised afterwards that my clip-on mudguard without flap was great for keeping the mud off me but not so great for those riding behind me. Male-female is of no relevance in the mudguard debate. It just comes down to how you normally use your bike (eg not permitted for race), how often you ride in groups etc. I will add a flap for the next muddy one, but generally it isn't a problem as I mostly ride solo, like to ride fast and tend to finish early.

As to the 'why don't more women ride these events'? Watts are irrelevant. It is about endurance and women can be just as bloody minded as men. It is certainly about confidence. While that applies to new riders or both sexes, I think women tend to feel more confident when they know other women are doing the same event. Initiatives such as the Adventure Syndicate and Emily Chappell's talks on long distance cycling at Rapha clubs around the country over winter are a great example of how things are starting to change. Organisers can help with preferential entry for women and fellow riders can help with dropping innuendo (which by the way I have never experienced at an event... on the contrary, people have been most welcoming and even helping with punctures etc).

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #199 on: 11 January, 2017, 05:22:09 pm »
Phil - if only we could clone you ;D Long may you ride and be what you are :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.